Emthegem

Date collected: July 27th, 2019

Hello!

I pulled in a whole bunch of fossils along the Etobicoke creek (a little bit further north compared to my last trip - almost same location though). LOTS of Orthoconic Nautiloids (as usual), a couple different bivalves and a few crinoid fragments. 

5d40b213c4c34_20190729_233241(1).thumb.jpg.fce2a0962e089fb4728c1cfcdf09436f.jpg

This is the nautiloid haul. The top right one doesn't look like much but there are about 5 or 6 nautiloids embedded in the matrix! I'm considering learning how to clean up the fossils so that I can show it off in all its glory!

5d40b235a4817_20190729_233301(2).thumb.jpg.968f7b950c4c839e473d323f047935e1.jpg

These are the bivalves and other stuff collected.

5d40b2e6a2ab0_20190729_233334(1).thumb.jpg.282218a8269c174762f986de3164a7bf.jpg

These are two separate MASSIVE chunks of monster Nautiloids (~5cm in diameter) - hopefully I can clean this one up as it would make a veryyy nice shelf piece!

5d40b3569d12a_20190729_233418(1).thumb.jpg.7ab3db7cbbd8761124e01d5d3d5ed288.jpg

Closeup on the full bivalve, I've never really found a complete bivalve with both shells in one clump like this before (correct me if its actually just a lame rock - I could be wrong).

20190729_233501_(1).thumb.jpg.0aa411a6282b57f912878690b704130a.jpg

I thought this one was really interesting: notice the dark brown, lined layer just under the rocky outer layer? I've seen a good lot of Orthoconic Nautiloids but I haven't seen a layer like this before. Maybe its nothing but I thought it might be worth looking into - let me know if you guys have any info, or what you think!

Anyways thats what I pulled in this past weekend! I'd say its a decent haul, not my nicest stuff but still a good lot.

-Em

Darktooth

Nice finds, Congratulations!

Emthegem
3 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Nice finds, Congratulations!

Thanks!

Ludwigia
10 hours ago, Emthegem said:

I'm considering learning how to clean up the fossils so that I can show it off in all its glory!

I'd suggest you get in touch with @Malcolmt. Maybe you could pay him a visit, see his setup and get some advice from him.

Mark Kmiecik

Nice haul. Don't consider learning, just do it. Get a cheap pin vise and points online or from your local hardware store and pick at a less-than-great specimen. It's not really rocket science, just tedious work. You remove what isn't fossil and what remains is fossil. It's that simple.

Emthegem
2 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Nice haul. Don't consider learning, just do it. Get a cheap pin vise and points online or from your local hardware store and pick at a less-than-great specimen. It's not really rocket science, just tedious work. You remove what isn't fossil and what remains is fossil. It's that simple.

Okay I'll give it a shot!

Ludwigia

Pin vise is in principle a good suggestion, but I'm afraid you might find it more than tedious on the material you're finding.

Emthegem
5 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Pin vise is in principle a good suggestion, but I'm afraid you might find it more than tedious on the material you're finding.

I practiced chipping away with the sharp end of my rock pick and some fine tools, but unfortunately I believe you are right as most of the rocks i found are veryyy hard. Although they do have some softer sandstone-like pockets within the matrix that are easier to chip away at.

JUAN EMMANUEL
21 hours ago, Emthegem said:

I practiced chipping away with the sharp end of my rock pick and some fine tools, but unfortunately I believe you are right as most of the rocks i found are veryyy hard. 

Welcome to the world that is called the Georgian Bay Formation.:wacko:

That’s quite a haul.