Starved Rock Clay Pit – ESCONI

connorp

ESCONI recently announced a field trip to the Starved Rock Clay Pit in IL on 8/17. The layers are, from top down: Mecca Quarry Shale, Francis Creek Shale, Colchester No. 2 Coal, and paleosol.

I was lucky enough to see the post in time to get on the list before it filled up. Anyone else here going?

Also, I know ESCONI has been there before. Have any of you been there previously and have any tips you could share? This is my first trip to a quarry so I'm not sure what to expect.

Yeah, I think I was there before with ESCONI - not really sure - but if I recall correctly there's a lot of gray shale, the kind that will suck the shoes off your feet if you step in it when it's wet, so I recommend high-top laced hiking boots. The other thing that comes to mind is those pesky biting deer flies. Long pants and sleeves might fit the bill. Of course, the best way to figure out what you'll need is to ask one of the ESCONI members who is going.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

1 hour ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Yeah, I think I was there before with ESCONI - not really sure - but if I recall correctly there's a lot of gray shale, the kind that will suck the shoes off your feet if you step in it when it's wet, so I recommend high-top laced hiking boots. The other thing that comes to mind is those pesky biting deer flies. Long pants and sleeves might fit the bill. Of course, the best way to figure out what you'll need is to ask one of the ESCONI members who is going.

Thanks for the tips. I just joined ESCONI and don’t know anyone, so I was hoping someone on here was going as well.

16 minutes ago, connorp said:

Thanks for the tips. I just joined ESCONI and don’t know anyone, so I was hoping someone on here was going as well.

Check their website. There may a list of do's and don't's for this trip. I think @Nimravis and a couple of others on this forum are members and will chime in.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

1 hour ago, Nimravis said:

Unfortunately I did not know that there was a trip or I would have signed up, maybe Rich @stats is going.

It was posted to the website about a week ago.   Here is the link.  https://www.esconi.org/esconi_earth_science_club/2019/07/esconi-field-trip-to-starved-rock-clay-pit-saturday-august-17th-2019.html  There might still be space.  Send an email to Dave Carlson.  His email is in the post.  Unfortunately, it's the same day as the Canal Corridor Field Trip to the Mazon River, so I can't make it.

Do the moderators care if I post ESCONI announcements here?  There are many ESCONI members on the forums and sometimes they miss the post on the website.

Cheers,
Rich

The black shales contain Listracanthus denticles, conodonts and various other marine fauna. Pyrite is found in the clay in abundance. It must be treated to avoid decay. Petrified wood is strewn about.There are also Ordovician/Silurian (can't remember which)disconformity pockets where trilobites have been found.

On 8/2/2019 at 9:22 PM, connorp said:

ESCONI recently announced a field trip to the Starved Rock Clay Pit in IL on 8/17. The layers are, from top down: Mecca Quarry Shale, Francis Creek Shale, Colchester No. 2 Coal, and paleosol.

I was lucky enough to see the post in time to get on the list before it filled up. Anyone else here going?

Also, I know ESCONI has been there before. Have any of you been there previously and have any tips you could share? This is my first trip to a quarry so I'm not sure what to expect.

I am signed up for the trip too, but I've never been before- I'm looking forward to exploring a new area!

1 hour ago, deutscheben said:

I am signed up for the trip too, but I've never been before- I'm looking forward to exploring a new area!

So am I! I’ve been exploring the LaSalle area a lot lately but have yet to locate any of the famous black shales, so I’m excited to be able to hunt through them during this trip.

On 8/4/2019 at 10:59 AM, aek said:

The black shales contain Listracanthus denticles, conodonts and various other marine fauna. Pyrite is found in the clay in abundance. It must be treated to avoid decay. Petrified wood is strewn about.There are also Ordovician/Silurian (can't remember which)disconformity pockets where trilobites have been found.

I’m guessing Ordovician because the vast majority of exposed rocks in the area are Ordovician.