mellydowhower

I found this today on the bank of Penn's Creek, in a location that is called "Fossil Rock", or "Pulpit Rock" in Weichert, PA.  I've found other sharks teeth in my life, but never any in the mountains.  (I usually find brachiopods in my front yard, about 20 minutes away from where I found this.). The front looks like a shark tooth, but the back just looks like rock to me, or maybe a chip of bone or something.  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks!

PSX_20190810_225200.thumb.jpg.878a630f91b3b7beef159346e430289d.jpg

IMG_20190810_132807.jpg

PSX_20190810_225239.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

It's awesome your able to find shark teeth. That's one thing I have yet to find in my own hunting trips.

This particular specimen doesn't seem to be one though, and for the reasons you say. The back looks way to much like a normal rock to me. The others will chime in soon though and give their opinions :)

Suggestivly shaped rock chip.

Must be nice to be able to fossil hunt just by stepping off your porch. :)

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

7 hours ago, El_Hueso said:

Welcome to the forum!

It's awesome your able to find shark teeth. That's one thing I have yet to find in my own hunting trips.

This particular specimen doesn't seem to be one though, and for the reasons you say. The back looks way to much like a normal rock to me. The others will chime in soon though and give their opinions :)

Thank you, El_Hueso!  I found a lot when I was a kid.  My uncle took us all to Calvert Cliffs, MD.  Now I want to take my kids!

• I found this Informative 1

Agreed, a very suggestively shaped rock (from the front). Ma Nature does love hiding this "fakers" just to get us to scratch our heads now and then.

Welcome to the forum. We'd love to see some posts showing some fossils from your collection. Those who have to drive hours to get to their fossil hunting sites would enjoy drooling on their keyboards to see photos of some fossils in situ (in place) on your property. :drool::)

Cheers.

-Ken

2 minutes ago, mellydowhower said:

I found a lot when I was a kid.  My uncle took us all to Calvert Cliffs, MD.  Now I want to take my kids!

That's a great tradition to pass down through the generations. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks for your input!

I know.  Even my geologist Uncle first said shark tooth until I showed him the back.  Bummer.

Just now, digit said:

That's a great tradition to pass down through the generations. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

+1

Caldigger and digit, the "Yard Fossil Hunt" all started when the yard was dug up for some construction.  I saw the rocks that were coming up and exclaimed, "I bet there's fossils in there!!"  The crew laughed at me (I'm just a Jersey girl who moved to the country... What do I know??) Within five minutes, I had a rock loaded with brachiopod impressions.  Now every time we have the dirt disturbed, the kids and I are looking.