Forum Trip To Hungry Hollow

Northern Sharks

I like the way that you are thinking, Tim. Maybe we could do it as a charity event and get merit badges for altruism! :D

I didn't know they were still turning it....that is a good deal for us, indeed. :thumbsu:

*cherishes a fond memory of discovering a mummified frog in one of the Hungry Hollow pits*

• 1 year later...

look at me go, bumping old topics...lol

I visited Hungry Hollow back in April of this year, and I'm still preparing the dozens of specimens I came back with (including a great haul of two or three species of Mucrospirifer from one place by the river where they're more common than gravel). But it left me with some questions that I was hoping some more experienced people could help with.

First of all, what's the consensus on the north pit? when I was there it was mostly filled with water and inhabited by a couple of angry geese who had a nest somewhere in the area. Do they still excavate any clay from the north pit? (I ask because when I was there, there was very little fossil material to be seen; just a Mucrospirifer slab I ended up not collecting). If I recall correctly, the north pit has produced some nice crinoids in the past.

Secondly, I understand from doing a little research that the 30 meter cliff on the north bank of the Ausable River just around the bend from the north pit has been a location for trilobites. However, I also recall that fossils found in that area are usually limited to small localized clusters. What's been people's experience with this cliff? I didn't find a whole lot there, though it is interesting because of the extent of its stratigraphical exposure.

After a couple of hours, I did finally find a Trilobite (which had been my collecting goal), a small Phacops pygydium; are there any particular sites in the area that are good for finding Trilobites?

And finally...I'm still trying to decipher Mucrospirifer taxonomy; does anyone know what the status of Mucrospirifer cooperi is and how to distinguish it from M. arkonensis?

thanks in advance :D

The North Pit has been excavated a good 20-30 feet from the spring reference point.... the pit was pumped almost dry in the summer they went through the crinoid lens layers... there is still lots of material to be had including pyritized worms, brittle star fish etc... : )

• 9 months later...

I too would be interested in going to Hungry Hollow with someone who could show me around...interested in trilobites!