Forum Trip To Hungry Hollow

Northern Sharks

The last visit I made to the Thedford Tile works, the place was pretty much shut down and out of business. (The clay pile out back was pretty rich though. ;) ) Not much of a call for ceramic sewer pipe these days I would guess. I also have more than 30 years playing in Arkona, must agree with Crinus that the clay pits are well worth the time for exactly the reasons stated.

..a Greenops trilobite pygidium....
I will never forget the long day that my family and I dedicated to trying to obtain just one stinking complete Greenops there. We located a total of 35 disarticulated Greenops pygidia but nothing more than that. We each kept one pygidium for our efforts, left the rest in situ for the next fossikers to find.

The last visit I made to the Thedford Tile works, the place was pretty much shut down and out of business. (The clay pile out back was pretty rich though. ;) ) Not much of a call for ceramic sewer pipe these days I would guess. I also have more than 30 years playing in Arkona, must agree with Crinus that the clay pits are well worth the time for exactly the reasons stated.

I will never forget the long day that my family and I dedicated to trying to obtain just one stinking complete Greenops there. We located a total of 35 disarticulated Greenops pygidia but nothing more than that. We each kept one pygidium for our efforts, left the rest in situ for the next fossikers to find.

Thanks Bear for your comments, both you and Crinus have convinced me to keep looking in the clay piles... still lots of fun.... I hear snow potential next week... will probably have to continue the hunt next year : )

PL

Thanks Joe for setting the record straight... you offer great encouragement. I only could go by what I have seen = limited to 2 days= 2 visits in totality compared to your +30 yr experience at Hungry Hollow. Prior to coming to Hungry Hollow... I did come across a paper "A pyritized polychaete from the Devonian of Ontario; Una C Farrelll and Derek E G Briggs. Proc. R. Soc. B (2007) 274, 499-504"... so my quest began to seek out the pyritized worm... based on the article...

I was able to trace the origins of the pyritized worm to the North Pit extracted 24 ft below the base of the Hungry Hollow Formation.... this was one of the basis for attempting Hungry Hollow. Finding fossils has always been a random walk... always helps if you have luck on your side ... timing is everything. :) Happy Hunting... too bad Carden is now closed to collectors may try JD next year.

PL

I know the guys who found that worm and it's a beautiful specimen. It is rare to find soft bodied fossils at Akrona though.

Crinus is right. If you know how and when to look, the clay can have amazing crinoids. I found this Poteriocrinus a few years back right after they turned over some material.

post-1687-12586432059299_thumb.jpg

The Thedford tile yards, now a lumber yard, are also closed to collectors. The company that took over and made it a lumber yard allowed collecting for awhile. Like Bear said, the piles in the back were pretty good. Every once in while they would move some rock to get the at the large blocks of limestone and it would be great for a few months. And then the lawyers got involved and we haven't been able to get in since. Fortunately, the last time they moved the rock I was able to acquire quite a bit of rock for the corals. I have them stored and some day I will get to them.

crinus

Hi: I like to throw out this question to our forum members.... has any one been able to find any fossilized fish remains at Hungry Hollow? Just curious.... I have heard that scales may have been found. PL

I know the guys who found that worm and it's a beautiful specimen. It is rare to find soft bodied fossils at Akrona though.

Crinus is right. If you know how and when to look, the clay can have amazing crinoids. I found this Poteriocrinus a few years back right after they turned over some material.

That is a nice crinoid find Matt. Alway fun trying to hunt for the rare stuff....PL

Hi: I like to throw out this question to our forum members.... has any one been able to find any fossilized fish remains at Hungry Hollow? Just curious.... I have heard that scales may have been found. PL

Peter: While I haven't had the pleasure of finding one (yet ;) ) armored fish scales/plates have been found there. There are a few on the UMMP site I sent you a link to.

In case anyone else wants to look

http://strata.geology.wisc.edu/mibasin/

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Thanks for the link Kevin... would it be great to find a complete fish totally pyritized... always can dream about it during the long winter :) . PL

Sorry I missed the trip but the Arkona is loaded with great ostracods and an occasional scolecodont or conodont. So don't throw away your scarp Akrona Shale, but put it in a bucket of water, stir it to suspend the clay and then pour off the clay laden water. As stated by another forum member, Arkona is very clayey so it will take many washings before the water runs clear. At that point, there should be a fine grain sediment / sand at the bottom of the bucket. Let it air dry and view it under a microscope (or you just send it to me! :D )

Arkona was the formation that got me hooked on micros so it has a special place in my paleo heart!

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

... I hear snow potential next week... will probably have to continue the hunt next year..

Next week? Already....oh well, it will take a while before the water all freezes. Maybe I will be able to make it up there next spring. Had to work this time...in this economy, as long as I have the work, I do it. :)

I don't think that I have ever found any fish scales there, but then my memory of what all is in the drawers isn't all that good, guess I will have to look again. :D I have some interesting and as yet unidentified things from there. I will get around to posting them up sooner or later - especially since there are several members who are familiar with the locale.

I did find what appeared to be the remains of a salmon there once though - big fishie with big scales and teeth. Contemporary, and eaten raw on the bank of the river by someone with poor table manners.

Pleecan,

4-5 years ago I started collecting fossils. It was during this time Crinus drew me a map on how to Get to Arkona. I took my son (4 or 5 back then) and we did what most first time collector do: pick up brachs....

Well, I went a few weeks later by myself, crossed the river, split a rock and found this fish plate (yea 15-20 minutes into the trip!). I didn't know for sure what it was until I brought it to the FUMMP meeting months later. After they confirmed it was a fish I went back to Arkona and brought back both the limestone I split so I now have all pieces. So yes there is fish found there.

post-2448-12586746406417_thumb.jpg

post-2448-12586746631795_thumb.jpg

Sorry I missed the trip but the Arkona is loaded with great ostracods and an occasional scolecodont or conodont. So don't throw away your scarp Akrona Shale, but put it in a bucket of water, stir it to suspend the clay and then pour off the clay laden water. As stated by another forum member, Arkona is very clayey so it will take many washings before the water runs clear. At that point, there should be a fine grain sediment / sand at the bottom of the bucket. Let it air dry and view it under a microscope (or you just send it to me! :D )

Arkona was the formation that got me hooked on micros so it has a special place in my paleo heart!

Hi Acryzona:

1)I found this fossil at Widder formation Hungry Hollow.... is this a scolecondont? is this the mouth parts of a worm/annelid?

2) Also I found something that looks like kidney bean... is this a pyritized ostracod?

PL

post-2446-12586746530985_thumb.jpg

post-2446-1258674935447_thumb.jpg

Pleecan,

4-5 years ago I started collecting fossils. It was during this time Crinus drew me a map on how to Get to Arkona. I took my son (4 or 5 back then) and we did what most first time collector do: pick up brachs....

Well, I went a few weeks later by myself, crossed the river, split a rock and found this fish plate (yea 15-20 minutes into the trip!). I didn't know for sure what it was until I brought it to the FUMMP meeting months later. After they confirmed it was a fish I went back to Arkona and brought back both the limestone I split so I now have all pieces. So yes there is fish found there.

Placoderms:

Thank you for providing the close up shots... they almost look like squished plant or flatten coral with all those dimples... I have save your pics as reference material Devonian fish scale.... I would never have thought that that was fish armour. On more question... would one be able to find armour fish scales in silurian rock? ordovician rock?

PL

I don't think that I have ever found any fish scales there, but then my memory of what all is in the drawers isn't all that good, guess I will have to look again. :D I have some interesting and as yet unidentified things from there. I will get around to posting them up sooner or later - especially since there are several members who are familiar with the locale.

Bear: Looking forward to looking at your unidentified fossils from Arkona. In the 6 yrs of fossil hunting this is my first time hunting in Devonian rock strata for fossils ... really neat stuff! I have hunted mainly in ordovician and the odd time silurian fossils here in Ontario but Devonian fossils are totaly new to me. Spent maybe a total of 12hr hunting for fossils at Hungry Hollow... enjoyed every minute

PL

Placoderms:

Thank you for providing the close up shots... they almost look like squished plant or flatten coral with all those dimples... I have save your pics as reference material Devonian fish scale.... I would never have thought that that was fish armour. On more question... would one be able to find armour fish scales in silurian rock? ordovician rock?

PL

See attached for some entries I have ran across for fish during those time periods (I don't know much beyond this, others in the forum would know more than me):

post-2448-12586797397763_thumb.jpg

post-2448-12586801100817_thumb.jpg

Peter:

That 1st pic looks like a partial Greenops pygidium. How big is it?

Not sure of the second one. Did I not say you'd love Arkona :wub:

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

See attached for some entries I have ran across for fish during those time periods (I don't know much beyond this, others in the forum would know more than me):

Thanks Placoderms for the information.... I am keeping my eyes open for fish parts when hunting ordovician and silurian rock ... a new perspective.... it is all about educating ones eye to see. PL

Peter:

That 1st pic looks like a partial Greenops pygidium. How big is it?

Not sure of the second one. Did I not say you'd love Arkona :wub:

Kevin now you mentioned it... you may be right partial Greenops pygidium.... it is only a couple of mm.

Yeah... you are right Kevin about Arkona... and the funny thing is that shortly after you mentioned Arkona, another fossil hunter emails me and suggested Arkona the following day.... for yrs I knew about Arkona but was too lazy to make that 4 hr round trip journey... till I run out of places to fossil hunt due to quarry closure to collectors... this forum provided me the guide where to hunt with respects to Crinus and your postings. Maybe I should look for real estate :) land around Arkona so I would not have to drive so far.

PL

Pleecan,

Placoderms: Are you able to post a close up shot of the fish scales... I am really curious on the surface morphology... neat to get a clearer picture of the surface bumps and dimples of the armour. PL

Seconded, if you please.

... you may be right partial Greenops pygidium....

Exactly what I thought when first I set eyes on it. Those little ventral spines are the cue in this instance. It is upside down so we are looking at the underside of the pygidium.

I do want a Greenops, anybody have one they can part with?

Seconded, if you please.

Exactly what I thought when first I set eyes on it. Those little ventral spines are the cue in this instance. It is upside down so we are looking at the underside of the pygidium.

I do want a Greenops, anybody have one they can part with?

Thanks to all for your response...

I might try to micro blast air abrasion the region with baking soda at 60 psi ( winter project).... to reveal more of the pygidium... maybe I can sneek out this sunday :) back to Arkona for the Greenops hunt (wishful thinking).... PL

Pleecan,

It looks like the bryozoa Hederella. From "Strata and Megafossils of the Middle Devonian Silica Formation" by Kesling and Chilman (UM Papers on Paleonotlogy #8) plates 82 and 83.

Still thinking about your earlier question about the ostracod and scolecodont.

Arcyzona

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

Guest solius symbiosus

^^Yep, it is some kind of cyclostomate. Regarding Ordovician fish, I'm thinking that they have only been found out west, but I haven't seen the literature in years.

That being said, I found something years ago that made me wonder. If there any ostracoderm geeks around, shoot me a PM.