Potomac Area mystery

Kimi64

Hi everyone

Not much new to report this summer, so that is why I haven't posted in awhile, but I found something interesting while fishing last weekend on the Potomac River near the mouth of the Port Tobacco River. It is about 6 cm wide at it's widest point. Any help with an ID would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_20190829_121915066.jpg

IMG_20190829_122019246.jpg

28 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Looks like a favositid coral.

Thanks Al, that was my first thought too, but the segments are square, not hexagonal & wouldn't it be odd to find a tabulate coral in an area known for Eocene era fossils? What do you think?

1 minute ago, sharkdoctor said:

In case it helps, the eocene Nanjemoy Formation is in outcrop near the mouth of the Port Tobacco and continues south. @Al Dente

Yes, I meant to say Eocene, let me edit this. 

If the Ordivician era Appalachian Mountains want to send me any more presents, I would really appreciate some trilobites. Just saying. 

A reworked specimen, which do happen from time to time. I just saw a picture of a trilobite found amongst Miocene fossils in a hole dug in Talbot county. 

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

36 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

A reworked specimen, which do happen from time to time. I just saw a picture of a trilobite found amongst Miocene fossils in a hole dug in Talbot county. 

Hi Whodaman, that's a great story. Makes me want to go out even more. I really like finding oddball, random fossils or rocks. Oddities rock in my book! 

3 minutes ago, Kimi64 said:

Hi Whodaman, that's a great story. Makes me want to go out even more. I really like finding oddball, random fossils or rocks. Oddities rock in my book! 

Indeed they do! 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason