fossilsonwheels

Fantastic information to share with us Frank. Very cool.  I do not have any Zapsalis teeth but I may start looking for one from the JRF. Teeth for preening feathers would be a really awesome adaptation to talk about with students!

Troodon
14 hours ago, fossilsonwheels said:

Fantastic information to share with us Frank. Very cool.  I do not have any Zapsalis teeth but I may start looking for one from the JRF. Teeth for preening feathers would be a really awesome adaptation to talk about with students!

This morphology of tooth is also found in other formations like Hell Creek and Lance Fm.  Probably belonging to Acheroraptor with this new information.  Before Acheroraptor was described all its teeth were assigned to cf Saurornitholestes.  Not common and often misidentified.  Indeed an interesting adaptation.

-Andy-

Very interesting info. Thanks for sharing Frank. Hopefully new skull material of Acheroraptor show up soon to give us more answers

Troodon

This is a good example of why tooth taxons can be very problematic.  

In the Hell Creek/Lance we have a few

Aublysodon now viewed as invalid and is an indeterminate tyrannosaurid 

Paronychodon most likely a pterosaur, under study

R. isosceles most likely a pterosaur, under study

Pectinodon looks valid but no skeletal material found

LordTrilobite

That's a very nice skull. Good to see it's finally studied. Too bad the paper is paywalled.

I wonder if the rest of the specimen is being studied as well. I've seen images of it online some time ago. It looked like an almost complete skeleton.

Troodon

Here is D. Evans (co author) response my question about this morphology on Acheroraptor in the HC 

"The enlarged premaxillary teeth are found in a number of different derived dromeosaurs (Velociraptor, Bambiraptor), and were probably present in many others. We would predict that Acheroraptor would have the same teeth as well. I doubt the teeth themselves are terribly diagnostic to the species level, but there might be some phylogenetically significant variation there. The problem is that there are so few specimens that preserved the teeth in situ in a skull that can be identified to genus."

fossilsonwheels
On 9/10/2019 at 10:46 AM, Troodon said:

Actual skull used in the study

Comments by D. Evans

"The articulated skull revealed a couple of surprises: 1) facial proportions w tall, robust snout-contrast w Velociraptor; 2) giant, specialized premaxillary teeth, formerly assigned to own taxon Zapsalis, might have been adapted for preening it’s feathers"

EEEgHn-W4AE6QCZ.jpeg.589a4efbc32d6f296bb011c23c84940c.jpeg

That is awesome !! Beautiful skull that is providing important knowledge. Thanks again for sharing this with us Frank