Reminder: The Calvert Cliffs are Dangerous

Frank Eaton

Fossils are nature’s memento mori; blunt reminders that everything dies and has been doing so since the dawn of life on our ancient planet. 

To me, that’s a comfort, and something I think about a lot when I’m on a hunt. But today I came about fifty feet (or one brief pause to bend down to pick up a specimen) from being crushed by a rockslide near Roosevelt Cliffs at Calvert.

So I’m not going to share what I found there today. No stupid shark tooth is cool enough to die for. I just wanted to reiterate here that Calvert is a living (or dying) geological feature and that it can kill you. Don’t stand near the foot of the Cliffs. Having seen a rockslide, I can tell you that there is no warning when the rock gives away, just the echo of tons of ancient ocean floor returning to sea level. 

It’s scary. Please be careful.

• I found this Informative 8

Fossil hunting can be very dangerous. I almost fell down several very steep hills while hunting for Mazon Creek fossils in March - could have easily snapped my neck. But really, any activity that requires you to go deep out into nature can be quite dangerous. Always know the terrain you’ll be exploring, try to be over prepared, and always tell somewhere where you’re going.

• I found this Informative 1

11 hours ago, Frank Eaton said:

Fossils are nature’s memento mori; blunt reminders that everything dies and has been doing so since the dawn of life on our ancient planet. 

Glad to hear that you are OK! Falls along the Calvert Cliffs are definitely sobering.

I enjoyed the poetry of your post, BTW :)

• I found this Informative 2

Glad to know you're not a Frank-shaped pancake. Stay safe, friend.

• I found this Informative 1

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

It's easy to get lost in the small details of fossil hunting and lose awareness of the overall big safety picture. Whether poking around rocky canyons out west or wading around in blackwater rivers in the deep south, one always has to maintain awareness of one's surroundings. A single momentary slip is all it takes to ruin your day or life.

Been there, done that. Was walking up a slight rise to get to the fossil layer at Ant Hill and came within striking distance of a rattler. I had my eyes glued to the ground looking for fossils when it started buzzing. I stopped dead in my tracks & didn't move but inside I was quivering and close to having a heart attack!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John