Orton Geological Museum. Columbus, OH

Italo40

Hello everybody!

This summer I spent a couple weeks in the U.S. and besides the famous museums (Smithsonian, Carnegie), I enjoyed a few less knwon destinations. I want to start with the Orton Geological Museum, that exhibits the 

geological collections of The Ohio State University, in Columbus, Ohio.

In the hall you are welcomed by a reconstruction of "Cryolophosaurus ellioti", a Jurassic Theropod found in Antarctica by a geologist of the O.S.U. you can see a reconstruction of the skull in the museum itself.

Fossils are given the most space. I found very interesting the cases exhibiting the local fossils of Ohio, ranging from the Ordovician to the Pleistocene. the Ordovician case featured trilobites, brachiopods, nautiloids, bryozoans and

other clades. the carboniferous featured also plant fossils. the Pleistocene specimens were Mastodon teeth and other bones.

Besides this, a case showing the latest acquisitions kept a very large and well preserved Isotelus trilobite, the state fossil of Ohio. another case displayed fossils from the notorious Jurassic lagerstatten of Solnhofen, Germany. Other highlights were a reconstructed skeleton of a Megalonyx found in Ohio and of a Glyptodon from Argentina.

Overall I found the museum really intriguing, because it displayed both fossils from nearby location and from all over the world. the museum layout is a bit aged, but it does not prevent having fun!

Don't forget to visit the adjoining library, where a few large specimens are kept (including a slab with two set of prints made by a Carboniferous amphibian).

I hope I was clear enough. let me know if any of you has already paid a visit here of you are now intrigued to!

Thanks,

Fabio

IMG-20190917-WA0037[1].jpg

IMG-20190917-WA0036[1].jpg

IMG-20190917-WA0024.jpg

IMG-20190917-WA0025.jpg

IMG-20190917-WA0026.jpg

IMG-20190917-WA0027.jpg

IMG-20190917-WA0028.jpg

IMG-20190917-WA0029.jpg

IMG-20190917-WA0030.jpg

IMG-20190917-WA0031.jpg

IMG-20190917-WA0032.jpg

IMG-20190917-WA0033.jpg

IMG-20190917-WA0034.jpg

IMG-20190917-WA0035.jpg

Edited by Italo40
  • I found this Informative 3

Follow me on Instagram (@italian_fossilhunter).

5 hours ago, Italo40 said:

The Ohio Sate University used to offer access to the museum free of charge, at least as of a few years ago and assuming one didn't attend Purdue U. ( @Peat Burns) they will let you in!!!! Tis the season again. It is a site to visit if in the area. And the building it is housed in is called Orton Hall, my favorite architecture on campus. It always brings back memories of college when I see it.

1980s_orton_hall_327901.jpg   

In addition a special Fossil Forum member has obviously donated to the University as seen below. Thanks, Dan. @isotelus

IMG-20190917-WA0030.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Yeah, it's still free of charge! Plus, the store is really nice, I bought an Ordovician trilobite and a tiny geological map of Ohio.

Nice to know that the trilobite was donated by a member of the forum!

Cheers

Not sure you stated in your write up, what is that large thing you have your hand on in the first picture?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

Not sure you stated in your write up, what is that large thing you have your hand on in the first picture?

Hi caldigger. I didn't write it in the tex actually. I attach a picture of the label!

IMG-20190918-WA0000.jpg