Dino Track

fossilguy312

Hi All,

I have the opportunity to acquire this specimen.... just curious to know everyone's thoughts? Anything I should be wary about? As far as quality is concerned, where do you think this rates on a scale of 1-10 (10 being museum quality/exceptional track, etc., and 1 being an entirely genuine/original track but a very poor example).  I'm still learning about dino tracks....  Thank you so much!

image.thumb.png.dc0bcee53190a7e333dbdf66dc1bab8c.png

3 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Nice grallator track . Where was it found? 

I'm told it's from the East Berlin Formation in Massachusetts.

• I found this Informative 1

I'd give it an 8.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice track! It is a left foot, with nicely visibly digital pads! This would look great as a digital elevation model. 

• I found this Informative 1

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

1 hour ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

Nice track! It is a left foot, with nicely visibly digital pads! This would look great as a digital elevation model. 

Thanks, @Paleoworld-101 !  Question for you - how can you tell it's a left foot?

32 minutes ago, fossilguy312 said:

Thanks, @Paleoworld-101 !  Question for you - how can you tell it's a left foot?

A few things.

1. Digit II in theropod tracks generally has two toe pads, and digit IV tends to have four toe pads. Your specimen nicely shows the pads and there are two pads in the rightmost digit, and it looks like four pads in the leftmost digit.

2. There is often a gap in the track, or a notch, just below the base of digit II in theropod tracks. It is caused by the base of this toe often failing to impress on the ground. And your specimen shows this gap, again indicating which side is digit II (arrow in picture).

3. The very tip of digit III (the middle digit) is usually oriented towards the midline of the track makers body, which is towards digit II. Your track shows what could be a faint claw mark at the tip of digit III and it is oriented towards the right i.e. towards digit II.  

5d92c503e37a1_Tfftrack.png.f245dc1fcaf5a02c67d7cefcf43f2091.png

• I found this Informative 2

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas