possible snake fossil?

Buckwheat1

Just joined today so first time posting! *I can already tell this is going to be my new favorite site!

I originally found this fossil when I was about 11 years old. It was found on a rock cliff in the middle of Lake Eufaula in Eastern Oklahoma. I begged my uncle to take me to the rock cliffs projecting from the center of the lake so I could throw rocks in the water. I remember the cliff being very tall and all a light grey color. the rocks flaked apart really easy so I was having a hay day chipping off big flecks and tossing them down to the water below. to my surprise I flaked off this piece and decided it was too cool to toss in the water. I tried to follow the shape both directions but my uncle got impatient so I didn't get to find the head or tail.  

I rediscovered this piece at my Dads house in the attic about 8 years ago . I had forgotten about it so it was like discovering it all over again. I am 35 now and am truly amazed I still have it considering all of the moves I have been through.

My wife and I are finding ourselves with more time to go on adventures so we are thinking about getting into hunting. thought if I could get some inside into what exactly I found may help reignite my passion for exploring the unknown.(unknown to me anyway)

Thanks in advance for your time. Shane - Okc, OK

IMG_1054.jpeg

IMG_1055.jpeg

IMG_1058.jpeg

IMG_1051.jpeg

IMG_1052.jpeg

IMG_1056.jpeg

IMG_1053.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Welcome to the Forum.  :) 

Your fossil is not a snake fossil, but rather a plant fossil, something akin to Lepidodendron

Some sort of tree fern.

Maybe something like Knorria imbricata,  # 14

IMG_1052.jpeg-horz.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It looks similar to: Diaphorodendron rimosum 

Moore, L.C., Wittry, J., DiMichele, W.A. 2014

The Okmulgee, Oklahoma fossil flora, a Mazon Creek equivalent: Spatial conservatism in the composition of Middle Pennsylvanian wetland vegetation over 1100km.

Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology, 200:24-52  PDF LINK

image.png.5c5686dd3ca29893a6f5a97e8b4b80b1.png

• I found this Informative 4

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Hey Buckweat, what Fossildude19 said but still, finding fossils when your 11 is purty cool.  I didnt get started till I was 31.   This is a great site so I wish you the very best of luck with more fossil hunting and you can learn a heck of alot from this site.  Good luck

RB

• I found this Informative 1

Very nice specimen. Some of the plant fossil collectors on this forum are drooling right now, including me.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

15 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Very nice specimen. Some of the plant fossil collectors on this forum are drooling right now, including me.

Me included.  :drool:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 hour ago, Buckwheat1 said:

My wife and I are finding ourselves with more time to go on adventures so we are thinking about getting into hunting. thought if I could get some inside into what exactly I found may help reignite my passion for exploring the unknown.(unknown to me anyway)

Hopefully, this was enough to set the hook and get you back exploring more unknown. It's a really nice fossil and I'd be thinking about a return visit to that lake if I were you. ;)

Welcome to the forum--lots of good info (and members) as you can certainly see.

Cheers.

-Ken

What a cool twist!!

Never would have guest it was a plant. Thank you for all the responses. I have been thinking about trying to find the spot again so I will keep everyone posted if I do. 

Ps_ I hate snakes so I was kinda relieved it is a plant...ha

1 hour ago, Buckwheat1 said:

Ps_ I hate snakes so I was kinda relieved it is a plant...ha

Something tells me even if it were a snake, it wouldn't be bothering you much in this state.

Dorensigbadges.JPG