Requesting help with Identification

Dsab

While Hiking a creek in Upstate New York (Binghamton) I came across this unique find, looks different than anything I have came across before. Looks as if it's composed of several types of minerals along with different types of fossils. Seems to be very dense, with no loose or flaking material. I'm very interested in the main body where it looks as if the material is twisting and curling and gives it a fluid type of look. I am asking the community to please help me identify what this may be composed of and from what era. Thank you. - Dan3.thumb.jpg.71763b200431a31c6a5ec7667ef7ff82.jpg2.thumb.jpg.f200b79c01e9c4206765fe4094fde0e7.jpg5.thumb.jpg.4d0cd3448855a68d92f6e4e156d4d219.jpg

27 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I seriously doubt that this is sedimentary rock.

Possibly metamorphic? Definitely does not have a sedimentary look to it. The dark grey area at the left of the first photo is intriguing, as well as the "nacre" looking bits near it. The second photo is quite suggestive of oyster, but something bugs me about that as well. It does look like modern reef material, but how did it get to where it was found if it is?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

The blue and green suggests possible copper mineralization. There also appears to be calcite. I'm open to the possibility that it's sedimentary, but I can't see any obvious fossils in it. Just can't figure out what the grayish plate under the colors might be.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

Just can't figure out what the grayish plate under the colors might be.

It looks a bit like the ash of something that burned while the mass was melting to me.

5 hours ago, Dsab said:

I appreciate everyone’s input, I was doing a little research, could this be considered slag? 

It doesn't appear to be typical industrial slag. My thought is perhaps some debris from an accidental fire. I'm not at all sure about it though.

I can easily see @Ludwigia being correct in his copper and calcite ideas.