Dangerous Digging In Bakersfield?

FossilForKids

I thought I would share the following medical mystery and warning with you. I have been digging in Bakersfield on both sides of the river for over six years and have never seen nor heard anything like this. Also for thos of you thinking I'm about to describe Valley Fever I was thoroughly tested to include a lung biopsy and it was found negative. I went digging with 4 guys from Holland in April on the Hart Park side of the Ken river in a relatively new area called Sheep Hill just south of Ant hill. Three weeks later three of us, myself and 2 from Holland, are hospitalized with bilateral pneumonia. Mine was very serious requireing 12 days in the ICU with an inflammed heart as well. I won't be back to work until the end of June. So what was different than the past 6 years and why were the other two diggers untouched?

Here are some possible clues. The hole that the three of us were digging in had two unique features....1. is soon became a gypsum mine with very few fossils and on the other end was a very rare and mineralized shell bed. You can ask Marcel......shell beds are almost unheard of at STH. This was a complete, rock hard layer, just below the surface. Again, only the three of us dug it. I have had every test know to man to determined what caused this and they have all turned out negative for spores, bacteria, fungi. It could be viral but my inflammatory response to include fever lasted over 15 days which is very long for a virus. My theory is it was some time of mineral inhalation.

I will not dig there again and if any of you do I strongly recommed a mask even though it is torture to work in a mask.

Just goes to show you Fossil Collecting has all type of dangers.

Take Care,

John

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

It sounds like you went through a rough time. Welcome back. That is a very interesting and alarming experience that you went through. I have heard of Valley Fever but what you went through sounds even worse. Get well soon. There are fossils out there waiting for you.

It sounds like you went through a rough time. Welcome back. That is a very interesting and alarming experience that you went through. I have heard of Valley Fever but what you went through sounds even worse. Get well soon. There are fossils out there waiting for you.

Thanks Ron! The first 3 days were very bad. Also I was a patient in the ICU I am the director of!!

John

I missed you here; sorry to learn it was for a health emergency :(

Has Hantavirus been ruled out?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I missed you here; sorry to learn it was for a health emergency :(

Has Hantavirus been ruled out?

Infectious disease checked about everything but I don't know about hantavirus. We also need to keep Cor and Sean in mind as well although I think they got hit a little less than I did.

John

I am so sorry to hear about your illness. I hope you have a full recovery and can get out soon to hunt some fossils again.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

That's crazy. I'm glad you're feeling better.

I get spoiled at most of my sites. I don't have to worry about snakes or spiders, but I'd never even thought about mineral exposure.

Glad your ok, that's really strange. When I first joined the forum, someone warned me about digging in the Weeches formation in E. TX. I will probably wear a mask next time I go.

I hope your friends get better soon as well! This might be a stupid question but since you were in an ancient oyster bed could you have come in contact with diatamacious earth. Pool man mentioned something about it getting in your lungs and causing pneumonia or something similar.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

I hope your friends get better soon as well! This might be a stupid question but since you were in an ancient oyster bed could you have come in contact with diatamacious earth. Pool man mentioned something about it getting in your lungs and causing pneumonia or something similar.

That is possible! Shell beds are extremely rare out there. You never find even a single shell.

John

Here is some info I found on it. It's probably not what caused your illness but it's till good info to have. Although maybe it was a combination of crystalline silica and something else that was present in the soil.

Hazards Identification

Emergency Overview

--------------------------

WARNING! HARMFUL IF INHALED. CAUSES IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES AND RESPIRATORY TRACT. MAY AFFECT LUNGS. CANCER HAZARD. CONTAINS CRYSTALLINE SILICA WHICH CAN CAUSE CANCER. Risk of cancer depends upon duration and level of exposure.

SAF-T-DATA Ratings (Provided here for your convenience)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Health Rating: 4 - Extreme (Cancer Causing)

Flammability Rating: 0 - None

Reactivity Rating: 0 - None

Contact Rating: 1 - Slight

Lab Protective Equip: GOGGLES; LAB COAT; VENT HOOD; PROPER GLOVES

Storage Color Code: Blue (Health)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Potential Health Effects

----------------------------------

Inhalation:

Causes dryness and irritation to the respiratory tract. Symptoms may include coughing, sore throat, breathing difficulty (dyspnea), and wheezing. Excessive inhalation may cause decreased pulmonary function, lung damage and silicosis. Acute silicosis is manifested by dyspnea, fever, cough and weight loss. Severe respiratory symptoms may lead to death.

Ingestion:

No adverse effects expected.

Skin Contact:

Causes irritation with dryness and abrasion.

Eye Contact:

Causes irritation, redness, and pain.

Chronic Exposure:

Prolonged inhalation exposure may produce silicosis. Chronic symptoms include cough, dyspnea, wheezing, increased susceptibility to tuberculosis, decreased chest expansion, and repeated nonspecific chest illnesses. Progressive respiratory and cardiopulmonary impairment may be fatal. Chronic inhalation of crystalline silica is a lung cancer hazard.

Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions:

Persons with pre-existing respiratory or cardiopulmonary problems may be more susceptible to the effects of this substance.

Alfred North Whithead

Guest N.AL.hunter

Wow, this is scary. I have been warned about all the rat/mouse feces problems in the dry desert areas and bat droppings in caves, but not this. I guess we need to visit the old Army/Navy Surplus Stores for gas masks. Hope you recover fully. Do so before you get out there again.

I sent you a PM before I realized you had already been checked for Cocci. The only other CA endemic to consider would be Crypto gatti which can manifest as pneumonia rather than the more typical meningitis. It would not show up with a beta-glucan test but should have grown from a BAL or biopsy. Viruses are not generally environmentally tolerant so l would have to agree that it would be low on the list. Hanta-type viruses are usually associated with aerosolized rodent waste so there would have to be abundant droppings near. Wow, I'm at a loss. If you find anything out, please let us know. Good luck with your recovery!

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

You sure you weren't in an old indian burial ground? ;)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Pesticides or tox screen?

Just watch yourself for the next month or so to make sure you are good to go.

Kevin Goto, Lafayette,CA.

That's crazy. I just hope you didn't release an ancient virus upon us, kinda like that X-Files episode. :P

Speedy recovery for you and your friends!

RAWR! I am zeee dead bobcat!

It sounds like a severe case of metal fume fever, which is a problem for welders. Airborne metal particulates are inhaled during the welding process, and lead to flu-like symptoms. In this case, I would suspect an airborne contaminate, such as a mineral in the dust, that you are sensitive to. Some asbestos deposits can lead to death over very short exposure periods. Bre4athe deep around that stuff, and this happens: :faint:

Hope you get beter soon.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

sure hope you're better soon with no lasting impact.

from a broader perspective, it seems totally plausible to me that a significant number of instances of bronchitis, pneumonia, emphysema, and copd are at least in part attributable to particulate inhalation - dust of varying composition. although i haven't read anything particularly scary about calcium sulphate, calcite, or aragonite, the dangers of silica are well known, and i guess your average "dirt hole" that people might be digging in is a smorgasbord of fine particulate of indeterminate composition.

i'm suggesting that perhaps all frequent diggers who don't use masks need to consider the long-term potential impact of that activity.

sure hope you're better soon with no lasting impact.

from a broader perspective, it seems totally plausible to me that a significant number of instances of bronchitis, pneumonia, emphysema, and copd are at least in part attributable to particulate inhalation - dust of varying composition. although i haven't read anything particularly scary about calcium sulphate, calcite, or aragonite, the dangers of silica are well known, and i guess your average "dirt hole" that people might be digging in is a smorgasbord of fine particulate of indeterminate composition.

i'm suggesting that perhaps all frequent diggers who don't use masks need to consider the long-term potential impact of that activity.

I think there's a great deal of validity in what you say. On Bob's land you actually sat on the ground and pried down into the layer. Where we were digging your in deep holes with blowing and drifting dust all around you. However I've dug like that for years and not had any problems.

John

Could that be a severe allergic reaction? It would explain why only one of three people was affected under the same digging conditions.

There is at least one shell bed in the Lower Round Mountain Silt (teeth can be found in it too) and one in the RMS above the bonebed. Shells and teeth can be found scattered throughout the RMS. A friend once found a large lemon shark tooth above the bonebed (one in the size range of the bigger Bone Valley lemons).

I thought I would share the following medical mystery and warning with you. I have been digging in Bakersfield on both sides of the river for over six years and have never seen nor heard anything like this. Also for thos of you thinking I'm about to describe Valley Fever I was thoroughly tested to include a lung biopsy and it was found negative. I went digging with 4 guys from Holland in April on the Hart Park side of the Ken river in a relatively new area called Sheep Hill just south of Ant hill. Three weeks later three of us, myself and 2 from Holland, are hospitalized with bilateral pneumonia. Mine was very serious requireing 12 days in the ICU with an inflammed heart as well. I won't be back to work until the end of June. So what was different than the past 6 years and why were the other two diggers untouched?

Here are some possible clues. The hole that the three of us were digging in had two unique features....1. is soon became a gypsum mine with very few fossils and on the other end was a very rare and mineralized shell bed. You can ask Marcel......shell beds are almost unheard of at STH. This was a complete, rock hard layer, just below the surface. Again, only the three of us dug it. I have had every test know to man to determined what caused this and they have all turned out negative for spores, bacteria, fungi. It could be viral but my inflammatory response to include fever lasted over 15 days which is very long for a virus. My theory is it was some time of mineral inhalation.

I will not dig there again and if any of you do I strongly recommed a mask even though it is torture to work in a mask.

Just goes to show you Fossil Collecting has all type of dangers.

Take Care,

John

I just had a chilling thought :o

With even the possibility of a serious health risk to digging STH, how long before it gets closed to collecting?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I just had a chilling thought :o

With even the possibility of a serious health risk to digging STH, how long before it gets closed to collecting?

No one is authority knows about this. Remember it's my guess my condition might be related to STH and that's only because two of the Dutchies got sick as well. I could have just as easily caught some unknown virus from either one of them because of the close proximity of digging.

John