Terraphone - Fossil Hunting & Geology Iphone App

elbeau

This looks like a topic area where I can tout my new iPhone app. If it's not, please delete this and forgive me, I'm not trying to spam your forum.

I created an application specifically devoted to fossil and mineral discovery.

It's called Terraphone, it brings together many great occurrence databases and makes it easy to understand what rocks, minerals, and fossils have been discovered and where. It also has a fantastic geologic dictionary and mineral gallery (fossil gallery coming soon). For instance, a simple search of Flint, Michigan shows the following Mammoth sites:

Flint.png

Here's a few more pics from the app:

1.png2.png3.png4.png

If you're interested, you can learn more at: http://www.elbeaus.com

Or you can purchase it from the iTunes Store

Thanks, and Enjoy!

PS...Just for fun, here's a promotional code that will give one person a free copy of the app: "4HPTLP4R6NTK" ...first come, first server, just promise me that if you're the one to use it you'll write an honest review of the app after using it.

Too cool! :drool: I wonder how much, if any data is available for Canada? :unsure:

It has very good fossil and mineral data for Canada, but since there is no strata or terrain data I do not advertise it in the Canada app store. If you just want the fossils, minerals, mineral gallery, and dictionary, it's still very useful and fun for Canada.

It has very good fossil and mineral data for Canada, but since there is no strata or terrain data I do not advertise it in the Canada app store. If you just want the fossils, minerals, mineral gallery, and dictionary, it's still very useful and fun for Canada.
Thanks for the info. :)

This is cool... where did you get the site info?

I have a locations map on the forum http://www.thefossilforum.com/map.php is there a way to port this info into my map?

The data on the site is a conglomeration of data from many data sources. Some sources are public, some are not. We also have access to the largest collection of out-of-print geologic publications & never-been-published geologic data in the world (as far as we can tell). We are ramping up our efforts to digitize the information in that collection. As we get more and more data input into the system, you will see Terraphone become more and more detailed...but it's not an easy process. We literally have hundreds of thousands of individual printed publications being processed, and Terraphone is just one of the uses of the data. What you see in Terraphone is really just the beginning of what it will become.

As far as porting to your map, there is not currently a feature for that. I'll take a look at it and see if it's something we want to build in.

Man! I want to try this but I can not find it at the apps store. Plus I grew up next to Flint, Michigan and no longer live there. Didn't know there was that many mammoth sites around Flint.

I type in terra and it gives me a list of words and I select terraphone on the list and then it says "No matches" .......Oh well, I tried :mellow:

Dang Beau, I would give an un-biased, honest review too!!!!

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

Man! I want to try this but I can not find it at the apps store. Plus I grew up next to Flint, Michigan and no longer live there. Didn't know there was that many mammoth sites around Flint.

Oh well, I tried :mellow:

I would give an un-biased, honest review too!!!!

I must say, that it was a nice try, but I can't just keep giving away my app. To quote the bottom of YOUR post "What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving" :rolleyes:

I'm not asking for a biased review, an honest review will serve my app well.

I must say, that it was a nice try, but I can't just keep giving away my app. To quote the bottom of YOUR post "What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving" :rolleyes:

I'm not asking for a biased review, an honest review will serve my app well.

LOL, I hear ya

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

Are you going to work on making this an app for google maps users say maybe a pay for plug in for google world? Not everyone has a phone that can use your app. I know i don't and it would be nice to be able to use this on a laptop or even personal computer and print out maps.

Also if you could figure out a way to make a server connection to my locations map I would be willing to help and also pay for its use. I wouldnt be able to pay to much perhaps a monthly fee would work out nicely I am sure the forum users would greatly appreciate it.

Also if you could figure out a way to make a server connection to my locations map I would be willing to help and also pay for its use. I wouldnt be able to pay to much perhaps a monthly fee would work out nicely I am sure the forum users would greatly appreciate it.

I don't want to make any commitments in the public forum, I'll send you a PM and we'll discuss.

FYI: It doesn't appear that anybody has used the promotional code for the free app yet, so if you have an iPhone, go for it!

Yesterday I completed a new content section for Terraphone - Meteorites! Seriously...it's cool.

Anyways, it usually takes Apple about 3 weeks +/- to approve an app for the iTunes App Store. Once they approve it, any existing Terraphone users will be able to install the meteorite update for free.

Most of you think this is a cool program but either can't use it or can't afford it. But we can have a part in it. We are currently collaborating on making a paleontological dictionary for this program and we want you to help. A program is being scripted to help this process out and we are inviting all of you who can help to enter in your words and definitions. Every little bit can help. More details on this will be published once the programming phase is complete.

Also we are in the process of porting his app into our locations map! This means everyone on the site will get to use this awesome application. Details on whether this will be a free feature or paid is not yet known I am hoping we can do this for free but programming takes time and time is money so we will see how it works out.

And lastly we want to put your fossils into his application! Imagine an application used by amateur and professional, geologists and paleontologists across the world (eventually) will be using this app and will see your fossils. Basically its almost as good as having your fossils published in a scientific magazine or book.

I can say that I purchased the app and love it.

I have some minor quibbles and suggestions for it, but I think it's already pretty darn interesting and useful and has amazing potential!

"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be. " - Douglas Adams

Quibbles and suggestions make things better go ahead and pm him with them.

From what I can tell with all that he has done and is doing with it, this is going to be an amazing application. I for one am very excited about the possibility of being involved in it.

Guest solius symbiosus
... we are inviting all of you who can help to enter in your words and definitions. Every little bit can help.

Not only sagittal, but also exsagittal: parrallel to the sagittal plane

FYI: It doesn't appear that anybody has used the promotional code for the free app yet, so if you have an iPhone, go for it!

What promotional code? Dang, I just payed full price for it. Oh well, I cant wait to use it. I am waiting for the download as i type.

What promotional code? Dang, I just payed full price for it.

No worries; it's a trial thing.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!