Terraphone - Fossil Hunting & Geology Iphone App

elbeau

Terraphone 1.1 is now available with meteorite data!
I'm going to have to buy a phone just for the app! Being a Mac person they've been taunting me ever since they came out but we don't have the best carrier up here. You have to go with Fido or Rogers but Telus has all the towers up here. :blink:

Sounds like a great app but don't have an iPhone :(

So this will basically give exact directions on how to get to various fossil collection localities? Or is it more of a higher level general locality guide?

Terraphone will now work with all gen 2 iPods, not just iPhones.

Does iPod have gps to make this work?

PS...Just for fun, here's a promotional code that will give one person a free copy of the app: "4HPTLP4R6NTK" ...first come, first server, just promise me that if you're the one to use it you'll write an honest review of the app after using it.

I have a iphone and just downloaded Terraphone...I don't know if the promotional code worked...but no matter..

This app is fantastic! It took me a lot of research time to locate the fossil localities near me. I spent a lot of hours on the computer too, but with this app it was a matter of seconds and there was the info. I haven't finished checking out the rock layers and mineral section yet, but so far so good. I will leave a review after I am done playing. Thanks

I'm going to have to buy a phone just for the app!

Hahaha... I am thinking the same thing!

If only they had this resource on CD or even downloadable program for computers!

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex

I have a iphone and just downloaded Terraphone...I don't know if the promotional code worked...but no matter..

This app is fantastic! It took me a lot of research time to locate the fossil localities near me. I spent a lot of hours on the computer too, but with this app it was a matter of seconds and there was the info. I haven't finished checking out the rock layers and mineral section yet, but so far so good. I will leave a review after I am done playing. Thanks

Sounds like good review!

Thanks to everybody supporting Terraphone. The reception it has received from this community has been tremendous. Here's some answers to a couple of questions:

1. Yes, the iPod Touch does have GPS and Terraphone is fully-functional on it. Whatever device is running Terraphone does need to be connected to the internet. iPod Touch's have a wireless network connector built in so if you're near a wireless access point you can do everything Terraphone does.

2. Yes, Terraphone shows the site where the fossils were reported to have been collected.

We are just finishing up another update to Terraphone. The new release will include the ability to use it "offline". It will store the last 10 areas you studied in it's history and you will be able to save an unlimited number of locations for offline viewing. You will also be able to add notes to the locations you save.

Before we finalize this release and submit it for Apple's App Store approval, I would like to run something by this community of users:

In previous versions of Terraphone, the average size of the dataset that Terraphone had to download was about 85k. That dataset did not include data for each collection site. Instead, the data for each collection site would load on-demand when you went to view the site. In order to work in offline mode, the download size will increase substantially...to about 500k. I am working on a few things to try to trim this down a bit, but your download time for each location will go from an average now of about 5 seconds to about 12-16 seconds. I know that doesn't sound like much, but people are sensitive to having to wait for data to load and I wanted a few opinions on this before I turn it loose on the general public. Please let me know what you think. Never Mind Previous Comments...after a lot of tweaking, we've now got the new version working faster than the old version :)

Also, please stay tuned, because Anson and I have been working together to create a dictionary of paleontological terms and we will be requesting community support for the definitions. This dictionary is NOT going to be Terraphone exclusive, it will be a public domain dictionary specific to paleontology.

Thanks, and keep on diggin!

"In previous versions of Terraphone, the average size of the dataset that Terraphone had to download was about 85k. That dataset did not include data for each collection site. Instead, the data for each collection site would load on-demand when you went to view the site. In order to work in offline mode, the download size will increase substantially...to about 500k. I am working on a few things to try to trim this down a bit, but your download time for each location will go from an average now of about 5 seconds to about 12-16 seconds. I know that doesn't sound like much, but people are sensitive to having to wait for data to load and I wanted a few opinions on this before I turn it loose on the general public. Please let me know what you think."

Good things come to those who wait! :)

Does anyone on here have an Iphone? I would like to get some user reviews.

Anson, I have this app and I am currently reviewing it. So far everything is great and exceeds what I need. The only drawback right now I would have liked to see is a seperate page to enter in my finds so I can map out where i have been. Maybe this has it and I jsut have not found it yet, I will PM Beau on it.

So far it seems to be a cool app and a great tool for research in finding possible areas of interest for the user.

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

We are just finishing up another update to Terraphone. The new release will include the ability to use it "offline". It will store the last 10 areas you studied in it's history and you will be able to save an unlimited number of locations for offline viewing. You will also be able to add notes to the locations you save.

Mike,

Just reposting this quote so that people do know that what you asked for is coming. This update is now complete and we will be submitting it for app store approval this weekend.

• 2 months later...

I'm so glad I discovered this thread! I already had downloaded the free trial of terraphone when I read this (I don't go hunting enough to make full use of the paid version). I am very impressed with your app. It is very thorough. I'm glad we have an app developer on the forum! I've pretty much added every geology app there is (this is what I like to do instead of playing arcade games like my friends do haha)! Will the dictionary be an app too? Are there any apps, fossil-related or not, that you are currently working on?

Keep up the excellent work,

Emily

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~ E. B. White

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so glad I discovered this thread! I already had downloaded the free trial of terraphone when I read this (I don't go hunting enough to make full use of the paid version). I am very impressed with your app. It is very thorough. I'm glad we have an app developer on the forum! I've pretty much added every geology app there is (this is what I like to do instead of playing arcade games like my friends do haha)! Will the dictionary be an app too? Are there any apps, fossil-related or not, that you are currently working on?

Keep up the excellent work,

Emily

Hi Emily, I'm glad you like Terraphone. I'm sorry it took so long to reply to you on this, it's been a busy month and I haven't been following the thread very well. Yes, I am working on two other apps right now. One of them is already submitted to the app store, the other will be finished in a couple weeks. I don't want to go into the details of them before their release, but I can say that although they are not fossil-related, they use the same interface as Terraphone and will be used by many in the same audience.

Anyways, enjoy Terraphone and thanks for your comments!

• 3 months later...