Help identify

derekshannon10241988

Found in Ventura California. It's like an 800 pound rock with a soft form fossil that I can not find anything that looks like or even resembles it. Please help

919006467_IMG_20220513_165939279_HDR2.jpg

IMG_20220513_165949177_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220513_165956245_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220513_165954157_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220513_165942917_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220513_165956245_HDR~2.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

I'd say very interesting banded stone with a neat design that has been tumbled by natural forces, but I cannot see a fossil in this piece. Judging by the foot in one of the photos, it is likely about 200 pounds at most, not 800. ;) 

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Very nice symmetry! :)

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

The symmetry is WAY to accurate for me to not believe that's a fossil. I am leaning strongly towards skull. Did you collect it or can you easily relocate it? I suggest showing photos of this to someone in a paleontology department in a nearby California museum. 

@Boesse

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 2

Admittedly, I would try to take this home too for my garden.  I'm of the belief its a rock with an interestingly bug shaped pattern.

*Frank*

On 6/4/2022 at 5:07 PM, Kane said:

I'd say very interesting banded stone with a neat design that has been tumbled by natural forces, but I cannot see a fossil in this piece. Judging by the foot in one of the photos, it is likely about 200 pounds at most, not 800. ;) 

The rock is only about 1/4 of the way out of the sand. Just fyi. Do you not see the red figure in the banded stone? 

20 hours ago, Carl said:

The symmetry is WAY to accurate for me to not believe that's a fossil. I am leaning strongly towards skull. Did you collect it or can you easily relocate it? I suggest showing photos of this to someone in a paleontology department in a nearby California museum. 

@Boesse

Very difficult to collect and/or relocate. (Not saying it can't be done, just very difficult). And thank you for your input

• Enjoyed 1

I agree with Carl... this is very symmetrical, including the trabecular pattern inside the two circular 'holes' (nasal passages)... some sort of marine mammal skull.  The layered sediments are amazing. 

• I Agree 3

1 hour ago, derekshannon10241988 said:

The rock is only about 1/4 of the way out of the sand. Just fyi. Do you not see the red figure in the banded stone? 

I do, and that is what certainly makes it mysterious to me. The symmetry is a bit hard to ignore, so I am hoping some of our other members might be of assistance.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I agree, this definitely has to be a skull. I have never seen a fossil in such amazing layered sediments. It is an awesome find. 

-Micah

• I Agree 1

I do agree that this is to symmetrical to be coincidence, looks like skull, no idea of what kind of vertebrate. Size speaks for a wale?

• I Agree 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

I'm still not convinced that this is a skull. One strange thing about the patterns on this boulder is that the orange/red parts first appear to flatten out on the sides and then expand again towards the back (bottom from our perspective) of it.

• I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

3 hours ago, derekshannon10241988 said:

Very difficult to collect and/or relocate. (Not saying it can't be done, just very difficult). And thank you for your input

I would absolutely try to fetch this or at least bring it to the attention of the closest natural history museum.

• I Agree 3

2 hours ago, jpc said:

I agree with Carl... this is very symmetrical, including the trabecular pattern inside the two circular 'holes' (nasal passages)... some sort of marine mammal skull.  The layered sediments are amazing.

After initially seeing just a red coloured intrusion into an otherwise rather consistently banded stone, I agree that I now also see some kind of hollow passages underneath two cavities with spongeous bone-like material. I've seen these shapes in ichthyosaur jaws a lot (see below for an example and diagram), and are also very reminiscent of the diagram of dolphin braincase cross-sections I came across after a quick search online. For me this is convincing evidence for piece being a skull, and I think it could be useful to ask @Shellseeker and maybe @Boesse for their opinions.

1477724881_Ichthyosauruscommunisrostrumcross-section.jpg.e8f2372ab2de03b909125ce4c31d0927.jpg305215548_ichthyosaurrostrumcross-sectiondiagram.jpg.dfb1d1d6365bf8a5864d20538554c1a1.jpg

Cross-section through a rostrum of Ichthyosaurus communis from Lyme Regis (left) and diagram of a similar cross-section (right) (source)

627006505_Cross-sectionsoftheskullsofTursiopsandZiphius.png.2f86e5d366a1163e43af3c637d1a81f0.png

Cross-sections of the skulls of Tursiops (a) and Ziphius (b; ironically known as "Cuvier's beaked whale") (fig. 5; Rommel et al., 2006)

• I found this Informative 3

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

I usually get drawn to the fossil itself, but the surrounding matrix in this case catches my eye too.  I believe the scientific and technical term of art for this piece is "cool", though there might be some dispute in the community of experts.  Others might call it "awesome."

Edited by HuckMucus
spelling
  • Enjoyed 3

4 minutes ago, HuckMucus said:

I usually get drawn to the fossil itself, but the surrounding matrix in this case catches my eye too.  I believe the scientific and technical term of art for this piece is "cool", though there might be some dispute in the community of experts.  Others might call it "awesome."

People who call this "cool" or "awesome" both don't know what they're talking about, aren't real experts. No, this is clearly a "jaw-dropping" specimen! :heartylaugh:

• Enjoyed 3

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Hello again,

I tried looking at different 3d scans of whale skulls to find a cut that resembles this one here.

Until now all the whale scans I found are optically made, that means scanned from the outside without internal detail. I hope to find a ct scan of a dolphin that would show the internal structure. But I think the cut of an Orca skull (nmml:1850) via morphosource) shows more or less the view your fossil does. Still wondering what the finely structured areas are, maybe even inner ear structures?

The way the sediment flowed (?) around the bone is fascinating also, or, to use a technical term I just learned, jaw-dropping.

Bildschirmfoto zu 2022-06-07 16-23-09.png

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

If the red part is a fossil are you saying these parts are also part of the fossil? Because those areas aren't as symmetric.

image.png.da29ce1f3255c44f36b6f60c1ddcd112.png

image.png.29712916b9460ce70c4220c2ab12ae25.png

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

13 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

If the red part is a fossil are you saying these parts are also part of the fossil? Because those areas aren't as symmetric.

I would expect this from a broken/eroded rock/bone cross section, though.

IMG_20220513_165956245_HDR.thumb.jpg.ff43a7519c984f509a2a9fd94fea80d5.jpg

IMG_20220513_165949177_HDR.jpg.78094a45d0ad96b2cab2534dd1996541.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

5 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

That is part of the interesting thing, when looking at a cross-sectional aspect with more erosion on one side than the other.  It takes more imagination than I have to visualize the "whole", especially with something so complex as a skull with nasal/sinus material.  Nevertheless, while not perfectly symmetrical, the portions you point out are nonetheless "there" on opposite sides, just at different levels.  I think.  MO. 

Imagine an MRI sliced through not at a perfect, perpendicular slice, but angled.

Edited by HuckMucus
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I would expect this from a broken/eroded rock/bone cross section, though.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks Tim. I'm curious to see where this thread goes.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)