Potential Fossil Shell I’ve Wondered About For Years

NerdMaster9000

• New Members

Years ago, (More than 10 now) on a venture to Dauphin Island, AL I came across a deposits of shells, two of which were very surprising to me when I first picked them up. 

These particular shells were not surface level, but rather slightly buried under a few (~3)inches of beach deposit. 

When I fully brushed the sand away and got a full view of them, I assumed because of their shape and color they were particularly large modern shells.

However as soon as I touched them I realized their weight and density were not that of shell, but much more akin to rock.

I’ve asked as many people as I’ve been able to show them to, no one seems to have any understanding (or interest for that matter) in the question. 

Do these specimens seem like they could possibly be petrified or fossilized? From my purely amateur and ignorant observations, it feels likely. 

I’d absolutely love to hear anyone’s thoughts and opinions on this! It’s something I’ve been very curious about for years, and I very much appreciate any informed discussion!!

IMG_5293.jpeg

IMG_5294.jpeg

IMG_5295.jpeg

IMG_5298.jpeg

@MikeR   @Coco 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

They look more modern/sub-modern to me but that doesn't mean they aren't fossilized, some pleistocene and pliocene fossil shells look like this. As for what they are, they look like a Mercenaria. It is worth noting that Mercenaria have thick and dense shells which could seem more rock like. Could you tell us more about this beach deposit? Was it sand/mud/etc.?

• I found this Informative 3

• New Members

@Thomas.Dodson Thank you so much!

I am now going to look into Mercenaria to widen my understanding.

As for the environment the deposit was in, I’d say it was mostly beach sand/alluvial sediment substrate consistent with the Mississippi River Delta area. This was also in a more grassy area, for what it is worth. I’d imagine that particular area experiences less wind erosion because of the grass/roots. 

Hi,

Despite its erosion due to the sea, the fact that it is not whole and traces of predation (small holes) it seems to me, I think it is a current shell.

If it’s not a Mercenaria, it’s certainly a shell of the same family.

Coco

• I found this Informative 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Dauphin Island seems to have had a recent beach replenishment project that exposed many fossils from the Pliocene. Hence, I am in support of this being a likely fossil Mercenaria.

• I found this Informative 2