Anyone know what this is?

DustinD

I grew up going to the SC coast with my mom(actually lived there the first few years of my life). I've never lost my fascination with searching for shark teeth(my profile photo is my mother, my deceased sister, and myself at a very young age, looking at our former home in Garden City, SC), and it's known within the group of friends that my wife and I vacation with. Point is, I found this last year at Carolina Beach in NC. I pride myself on a keen eye, but I initially thought it to be nothing more than an ironically accurate shaped piece of wood. I kept it none the less, and "white-lied" to the other couples with us in our airbnb that i was confident it was a tooth. I forgot all about it until about a week ago. After a little research, I'm pretty sure it is, in fact, a tooth. But, I'm leaning towards a reptile. Again, I'm an amateur, just hoping someone can give me an answer. Thanks in advance.  

20230413_033904.jpg

20230413_033941.jpg

20230413_033913.jpg

20230413_033910.jpg

I assume you have determined it to be hard as stone, so it's probably fossilized, but I think the wood identification is correct. 

• I found this Informative 1

Yeah, it's definitely solid. That's why I thought to look further. I saw a few crocodile teeth that looked similar, so I figured it was worth asking. 

Still not certain that's the case, the shape is hard to cast aside as just a coincidence. But, I certainly appreciate your response. 

It's likely a root. The odd texture at the wide end is typical, and, their preservation potential is enhanced by being roots.  

• I found this Informative 2

Hi DustinD and welcome to the forum.

that shape is no coincidence at all, but a typical shape of the part where a twig or root grows out of the next bigger trunk, often being harder than the surrounding wood. Thats what appars as knothole when cut through and often what remains last of weathering wood.

Best Regards,

J

• I found this Informative 5

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Another wood vote here. There is no enamel to indicate it is a tooth.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The section below in particular shows the flowing grain that I associate with a broken wood knot.  You would not see that type of texture in the enamel or root of a tooth.

20230413_044300.jpg.3651ede55428a976a055f8cdadcdce87~4.jpg

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 2