A Cretan Fossils Collection

astron

Steve, Scott, Roger, Chris, John, Missourian,

Thanks a lot, my friends, for your comments and warm welcomes!!! :fistbump:

You are making me feel that nice!!! :rolleyes:

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Glad to know the well hasn't run dry. :)

Just the sea (Mediterranean) had run dry those epochs pushing the fossils into a bottomless well. :)

One more example is this recently found Clypeaster brevior sea urchin, one of my favorite echies.

Pic1 in situ

Pics 2,3,4 after the prep work.

post-4345-0-62454400-1373709259_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-31321600-1373709272_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-22576400-1373709283_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-50379300-1373709324_thumb.jpg

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Well I see you are once again finding great stuff.

D@mn that Megalodon tooth is in bad shape, but I'd love finding one even in that shape, anytime... go find a better one, I'm sick of seeing only the old Schinias finds wherever I look...hahaha.

To bad I don't have any Miocene deposits over here, this would have been a great inspiration for me to go out again in the field looking... I love my Pliocene shark teeth very much, searching for them is great and even better is finding them.
It's been a long, too long time since my last "hunt", now in Summer my spots get crowded with swimmers and nudists, I don't like walking around with my hammer having to explain what I am doing.

Great echinoids and a nice (gluedbacktogether ;-) bullshark tooth there... don't worry you'll find whole speciments in time, now that you've located a new "hotspot".

You have the will, time and stamina to keep looking, you've proved that over and over...

Edited by paco

Roger, paco, Nando, Eric,

Thank you very much for the nice comments and words!!! :fistbump:

paco,

''...now in Summer my spots get crowded with swimmers and nudists, I don't like walking around with my hammer having to explain what I am doing...''

:rofl: Agreed...

Very interesting you've found some sharks. Despite my extensive search I have found just a few pics of shark teeth from Greece! It would be nice to see one of yours if and whenever it is possible... ;):)

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Astrinos,

Welcome back, we missed you. I can't believe the first shark tooth you find is a Meg! Congrats and keep looking.

Astrinos.... Thats a very detailed urchin.... Nice find & prepwork.... :)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Astrinos,

Welcome back, we missed you. I can't believe the first shark tooth you find is a Meg! Congrats and keep looking.

Gus,

Thanks much for your warm words and for the nice comments!!!

A Greek saying says: ''A moment brings more than a year''. I was searching for decades and I found my lonely 2 sharks nearly one upon another one month ago!!!!!!!!!!! :o:wub::meg dance: Despite my hours of searcing not any new alike finds since then!!! :( Hopefully, it's going to change sometime :)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Echinoman and Steve,

Thanks much for the nice comments! :fistbump:

It would be nice if I could touch the importance of your contributions to the Forum on each one's speciality :)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Hello all!

Let's give the current echinoids round a go...

One more Clypeaster brevior...

post-4345-0-45108600-1374654646_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-49128800-1374654683_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-76479700-1374654701_thumb.jpg

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

And finally, two Schizaster archiaci in two pics each.

The first one bears some partial spines still attached to its back.

The second one was found into a concretion...

post-4345-0-17876900-1374655690_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-83213900-1374655703_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-33013000-1374655712_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-87563300-1374655720_thumb.jpg

Astrinos P. Damianakis

These urchins are wonderful :wub:

Have you discovered a new site?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Outstanding finds, Astrinos. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Very nice, I like the discovery shots too.

Now you've joined the Concretion Crackers Club! (actually you did before, did you? but this might be your best one yet)

Seem to be a variety of Clypeaster species there, not just one kind as I would have expected..

Edited by Wrangellian

Chas, Roger, John, Eric,

Thank you, my friends, for the nice comments! ;)

Chas, I've walked over the old spots sometimes... There have not any new sites still been left in this area... :(

Eric, You've nailed it! Not the first, but my best concretion ever... :)

Thanks again everyone :fistbump::)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

A Clypeaster scillae...

A Clypeaster altus...

And finally, two Schizaster archiaci in two pics each.

The first one bears some partial spines still attached to its back.

The second one was found into a concretion...

Hi Astrinos, You know there are just some folks who have an innate sense that allows them to find fossils that the rest of us just cant comprehend. Mighty nice echys! Thanks for showing us the latest! Regards, Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Astrinos, You know there are just some folks who have an innate sense that allows them to find fossils that the rest of us just cant comprehend. Mighty nice echys! Thanks for showing us the latest! Regards, Chris

Hi, Chris, and thanks very much for the honoring comment!!!!!!!!!! Though, I'd say that the sense you have refered to is mostly increased along with our experience with fossil hunting ... ;):)

To come to the running finds, despite my increased search, I have not important news on shark teeth... The only found just a small blade (13 mm), with the base of the tooth missing... It reenforces the existence of sharks in the area,,, I have maintained it on a little piece of matrix...

post-4345-0-92790000-1375512641_thumb.jpg post-4345-0-18692600-1375512653_thumb.jpg

Of a higher paleontological importance could be the recently found 9mm fossil bee (?). Not any touch on it afret found. Just its position is not the best, I like it though... :)

post-4345-0-34322400-1375512784_thumb.jpg

Astrinos P. Damianakis