A Cretan Fossils Collection

astron

Tim, Henry, Roger, Steve,

Thanks much, my friends for the nice comments :)

Looks like a new species to me! :o Please do keep me posted Astrinos!! ;)

I do hope so, Henry. When any news on it, the update follows ;)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Nice Palms, but who (what) cut them up like that, was something eating them?

Justifiable question, Gus, and when I was informed what these fossils represent my first question was how a big chamaelops leaf could end up to a bit like that. My friend paleobotanist started his explanation with a new question: ''What's the percentage of the fossils you have found so far that are preserved in a perfect condition???'' It's truth that this percentage is very very low...

Speaking of my hunting area, all evidence indicate that it was a coastal area, where parts of plant material along with mud were transered by rivers - creeks, forming several layers one on another. Each layer bears a concrete quality of fossils that differs from the other layers, ranging from bad to very good ones. This possibly means that important for the fossilization was the condition of what was to be fossilized, before the fossilization starts. The better condition it was when the fossilization started, the more possibilities it to turn into a nice fossil.

After all, these palm leaves seem to had been weatherd enough and gradually eroded to this point with just these harder parts of the leaves left and fossilized afterwards.

Hopefully, a confirmation will come sometime and this would be a more complete chamaerops sp. leaf as this one of myrica sp. is. I like the shelter this leaf has found under the logs, as well...

post-4345-0-19777600-1354719774_thumb.jpg

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

''What's the percentage of the fossils you have found so far that are preserved in a perfect condition???''

Very true.... Sometimes many years hunting to find a perfect example....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, Steve and all.

You are absolutely right, Steve!

Came back after a while. In the meantime my friend paleobotanist has paid me 3 visits in home and he has taken a quick look of my more plant material. This is not enough at all for in detail conclusions on that much stuff, but, as I have already quoted his time is very compressed and thus I appreciate much his goodwill and his valuable help already given and I hope for a more close cooperation with him in the future.

In a few words, he estimates that it's about a desent plant collection coming from a place not recorded to date that resembles in time and flora to the known late miocene fossil location in Vrysses , that is located 170 km far from my village of Panasos. This collection contains quitre enough very rare and some even undescribed plant species, that may importantly contribute the Paleontology. As mentioned, some of them have been already donated to the Natural History Museum of Crete and more are to follow.

In what generally concerns the identification of the finds, quite enough leaves imprints are recognizeable, while the ids are strongly harder for branches, seeds, fruits, flowers and tones of scientific reseach is needed to clear the things out to a satisfying degree.

Based on his guidelines and on my experience earned to date I have made a lot of edits in my collection here and even have deleted some posts, in order to improve the informational part of this thread. I know that there are a lot still to be done and hopefully I'll have the chance to achieve it gradually.

At this point, I have to express my appreciation and thanks to the Admins and Mods super team of the Forum and to every one of you for your help and support during my presence here and I promise to continue doing my best. :)

I close with a reference to the chamaerops sp. thread, that is of a high importance as mentioned above. After my two recent finds shown on the previous posts this one is the third in row. The only difference to the previous ones is that just a little more part of the leaf is preserved this time. I hoped to find a more well preserved specimen, but as it seems I go ahead step by step. Just to clarify that these little round shapes on the fossil area are mineral growths, that are very common on my plant material as so the plant branch on top right of this slab, as the log in the third pic clearly reveal.

Still hope in better finds of this sort in the future...

My best Christmas wishes to all of you :)

Kind regards

Astrinos

post-4345-0-74436500-1355956338_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-91589600-1355956354_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-33120700-1355956372_thumb.jpg

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Hey Astrinos, I'm glad to hear you are finally getting some expert help with these.

What is this little item? Bit of plant/root, maybe flower?

post-4372-0-25197800-1355976570_thumb.jpg

Hey Astrinos, I'm glad to hear you are finally getting some expert help with these.

What is this little item? Bit of plant/root, maybe flower?

post-4372-0-25197800-1355976570_thumb.jpg

Thanks very much, Eric ;)

Your power of observation is actually amazing!!!!!!! :o Have to admit I hadn't seen this thing before...!!!,

After your post I tried to reveal it a bit more. Having done this, I think it's about a fish scale. One more fishy point is the little fish vertebra on the left side of the left slab (a bit under the log), :)

post-4345-0-34568600-1356113612_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-35609300-1356113840_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-89015300-1356113882_thumb.jpg

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Astrinos.... Yet more world class specimens... I dont know how you do it... I thought I was lucky but your in the next league :D

Edited by Terry Dactyll

You're both pretty lucky.. (I think I am too though maybe I don't take as much advantage of it as I could)

Steve, Eric, Peter,

Thanks much for the nice comments ;):)

I am leaving to my village now for Christmas... :wub:

My best wishes to all of you TFF members :)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

• 1 month later...

Hello all.

Came back after a while...

I have some fossils not still added to my collection, though just one at the moment.

I have presented some maple Acer sp. examples previously but this A. pseudomonspessulanum is the only of this species found to date and of my favorite plant fossils.

A Cupressaceae branch over it.

post-4345-0-86821000-1359975068_thumb.jpg

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Eric and Roger,

Thanks for the comments ;)

Roger,

Useful clearance. I thought it was Platanus... :wacko:

Eric,

More thanks for the important question that motivated me me to give a push to my primitive plant list...

Eventhough it's incopmlete in what it mainly concerns the species and tones of work is back, it gives a general view of the floristic diversity and importance of the plant finds in my birth village of Panasos, Crete, Greece, that has not been recorded as fossiliferous to date. As the time passes this list will be impoved in cooperation with a local paleobotanist and these improvements will be added...

The floristic composition of Panasos.doc

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

That's the idea! I am thinking I should do the same for my location(s) too, except that half of what I find is un-ID'd or even undescribed...

Astrinos... Thats a beautiful maple specimen.... Great work!...

Hello all!

Eric and Steve, thanks for the nice comments ;):)

I have finished tsese days the prep of one of my favorite plant finds.

It's about a 21 x21 cm slab that contains a good representative of my local fossil flora

1.A carya Engelhardia sp. (juglandaceae fam.) winged fruit.

2.A lythraceae family leaf

3.Two quercus sp. leaves (of different species).

4.A daphnogene polymorpha leaf.

5.A fabaceae family leaf.

6.A salix sp. leaf and

7.Some pinus sp. leaves (needles).

post-4345-0-92560900-1360840087_thumb.jpg

Speaking of the laves the more rare is the Lythraceae one, that is the first ever found in my island.

post-4345-0-41002200-1360840100_thumb.jpg

Though, the more important of all is the Engelhardia sp. winged fruit that is the first ever found in my country and very rare in general.

post-4345-0-13339300-1360840115_thumb.jpg

Another surprising to me characteristic is that each one srecies is represented to the slab with one specimen and thus so many species are gathered into that little space!

The slab will be under scientific investigation as soon as the time permits it to the local paleobotanist.

Astrinos P. Damianakis

3.The fossil close to the recent leaf after I had it appropriately cut for comparison.

Very nice photo of fossil and modern speciment...

Does your scientific advisor (hehehe) have any thoughts on this "trimming" of the leaves?

I've seen such modern lookalike specimens washed-up on beaches, is this the natural deterioration pattern of palm leaves or what?