A Cretan Fossils Collection

astron

Those are ray teeth in that plate, but I havent seen ray vertebrae that look like those, so what fish is it that ate the ray?

Those are ray teeth in that plate, but I havent seen ray vertebrae that look like those, so what fish is it that ate the ray?

Gus,

When they are talking about "Rays" the are refering to fish fin anatomy, rather than a stingray in the general sense. ;)

In this context, they mean "soft rays" which are parts of the fins. They differ from the "spiny rays", in that they are softer and often, if not always, segmented.

This from Wikipedia:

"Spines and rays In bony fish, most fins may have spines or rays. A fin may contain only spiny rays, only soft rays, or a combination of both. If both are present, the spiny rays are always anterior. Spines are generally stiff and sharp. Rays are generally soft, flexible, segmented, and may be branched. This segmentation of rays is the main difference that separates them from spines; spines may be flexible in certain species, but they will never be segmented."

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks Gus for the question and Tim for the perfect clarification!

It's wonderful when the facts confirm successively what has been discussed a while before!!!

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Tim,

Thanks, I understood that soft rays referred to a fish fin part, but some of the thicker ones looked like ray (batoidea) crusher plate segments so I was fooled by their appearence. Sorry

Gus,

No need to be sorry - they do look like crusher plates! I actually did a doubletake when I read your post, 'cause I thought I'd missed something, and was second guessing myself. I had to look at the pictures a few times to be sure I wasn't mistaken. :unsure::P

Eh - What's life without a little confusion? :D Makes life more interesting.

Astrinos, thank you for the kind words, my friend,... both here and earlier. I am very thankful and grateful to be part of this community.

Best regards to you both. ;)

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

...Eh - What's life without a little confusion? :D Makes life more interesting...

I must lead a very interesting life then :P:D

• 2 weeks later...

I must lead a very interesting life then :P:D

You and me both! :P;)

Regards,

You and me both! :P;)

Regards,

What should I say then???

I use to say ''after you'' but in this case ''after me'' fits perfectly... :rofl:

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Astron.... The speed you post new finds.... I think you have 2 chisels on the go.... :) .... Your finding some very unusual material at the moment... Keep them finds coming....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Astron.... The speed you post new finds.... I think you have 2 chisels on the go.... :) ....

:rofl: :rofl:

It may seem so sometimes but actually it isn't exactly like that...

I'd say that I use to present my finds ... in rounds... :P (don't ask which round is to come...)

Par example, the previous round started on 07 of July and the next will start next days. During the intermediate at about 2 months time, I am in the preparations of the next round.

Thus, it has happened me to present noumerous fossils in one day, they may represent two months or more work, though!!! ;)

Have to admit that the last round was of my best ones but the upcoming low leveled... Unless some surprices are hidden in the way... :)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all!

Came back after a while ...

Before the presentation of some new finds, I have to share with you a video of some of my minerals and fossils that George (my son in law) had made when here and I thank him a lot for his efforts with this.

My only relative clarification has to do with my proposal for a fossils donation to the Natural History Museum of Crete, wich I am refering to at the end of the video. The announcement of this offfer (that is the second after the previous one to the Cultural Association of my village of Panasos), has been done some days ago. Dr. C. Fassoulas, Geologist in the University of Crete and responsible for the Museum has answered me, but the answer is in Greek and thus there is no use to attache it here as it is. In a few words, Dr. Fassoulas, at first says that he along with the Paleontologist Dr. G, Iliopoulos of the University of Patras have seen my collection through my presentation here in TFF and they both are impressed with the quantity and the quality of my fossils and that quite enough of them could enter several museums. He said also that my offer is pleasantly accepted, though (despite to their efforts) the depts of the local geologic and paleontologic finds is still under constraction and the relative works have temporarily interrupted due to the bad financial conditions. After all, I am staying in condact so with them, as with the Cultural Association of my village until the circumstances turn better for the realization of my proposals and offers.

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Καλημερα κυριε Δαμιανακη.

I'ts been a while since the last time I visited the site. I've been busy otherwise. Παντρευτηκα :-)

Had no time to search for fossils and Summer is not a good season here.

Ευχομαι οι υπευθυνοι να αποδεχτουν την προσφορα σας και να εκτιμησουν ότι δεν πατε να τα πουλησετε ολα αυτα τα τρομερα ευρηματα σας.

I hope to get a chance to visit Crete, it's been too long I haven;t visited your cool island and maybe I'll get to meet you in person?....

Fantastic new fishes, hope you find your fist mammalian fossil soon!!

Cheers, keep up the good work.

Edited by paco

Hi, my friend!

It's truth I missed you and I am glad hearing from you again and from your important news of life!!!

Hopefully, my primarily pleasantly accepted proposals will find the appropriate conditions to be realized sometime.

I will be waiting for your visit anytime.

Thanks for your nice comments and my best wishes on your marriage!!! :)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Astrinos.... ** FABULOUS ! **.... Great to get to meet you (kind of) and see some of your wonderful finds and your passion for collecting fossils... I think your proposals would be a very good idea and the local village one would certainly benefit the children and schools and inspire new collectors...and the Natural History Museum could display the specimens of great importance.... Its a shame funding affects progress in this field as its understanding what happened in the past that will help us prepare for the future....

Edited by Terry Dactyll

Astrinos.... ** FABULOUS ! **.... Great to get to meet you (kind of) and see some of your wonderful finds and your passion for collecting fossils... I think your proposals would be a very good idea and the local village one would certainly benefit the children and schools and inspire new collectors...and the Natural History Museum could display the specimens of great importance.... Its a shame funding affects progress in this field as its understanding what happened in the past that will help us prepare for the future....

Thanks a lot, Steve, for the nice comments!!!

I second your aspect that it's a shame funding to stop the progress of these issues, but unfortunately finance dominates our world nowadays and we have to compress our lives under the existing conditions. And these conditions are very hard here this period of time. Believe me...

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Finally a movie star... Congrats Astrinos film.gif

Thank you very much, Scott :D :D

Every post of yours include always something special... :)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Hello all!

Came the time to start the presentation of the new ''round'' of my finds, this start is somehow different than the previous ones, though.

It was on 16 of Sept. when I decided to change my hunting spot and to take a look of the new roadcuts close to my village. I have gone many times there but the last one was more than a year ago. I have found in this area my most corals and oysters and I was convinced that it doesn't exist anything more after these things there. Was it so...???

I stopped my car near a bridge and searched this section of the road side. The only found was a very big coral (maybe 20 kilos in weight) broken in the one side. I removed it and it was a nice seawead on the back. Despite it was my first find of this kind, I left it back becouse of the known space problems...

post-4345-0-44008100-1348693793_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-37493400-1348693804_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-61568400-1348693815_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-09691900-1348693835_thumb.jpg

Astrinos P. Damianakis

I went 100 m ahead and I parked my car under the gorgeous bridge to look around there.

At first I spotted a boulder with some shells exposed and nothing more. It was very hard for my hammer and I left it alone. Next to that rock was another alike one but quite smaller, so I could roughly turn it around and observe it...

Ooops. Something unusual exists in the inside. It seems to be plant material... But among the shells???

Needed work to confirm it was so and to reduce the size of the rock. So, I made a handy laboratory in the shadow of the bridge...

post-4345-0-10279100-1348695056_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-64945300-1348695070_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-27633800-1348695083_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-58844700-1348695095_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-10609400-1348695110_thumb.jpg

Astrinos P. Damianakis

I roughly cropped some pieces of the very hard rock and I realized first that a few bivalves could come out apart and sometime came the confirmation I was looking for. I was convinced it's about plantation remains. Moreover a big gastropod revealed and I wanted to save it any way. Thus I didn't endanger any more work there with it. It was left a lot of work back at home and I placed it in my car...

post-4345-0-41473500-1348696418_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-37945500-1348696432_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-15487700-1348696447_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-72386700-1348696460_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-68586300-1348696471_thumb.jpg

Astrinos P. Damianakis

The find above pushed me to pay attention to the boulder with the same structute 3 m faraway. And it was correct. There were quite enough carbonized plantation remains on this rock. The bad was that the already exposed sections were almost disolved while the rest part of that fossil were embedded into the hard boulder and it was impossible me to take it out with the means available...

post-4345-0-81387300-1348697710_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-45904300-1348697726_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-14445500-1348697742_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-15149000-1348697755_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-70301700-1348697772_thumb.jpg

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Using my super glue I fastend the surface of the fossil area as better as I could and using my chisel I tried for much time to dig the rock around. The only I succeeded was to extract some pieces of the fossil, that were taken with me in home for the necessary prep work. Though, a significant part of the fossil still remains on the rock as in the pic 3 is shown.

I thanked the impressive bridge for its shadow and I came back home thinking of how much prep work was remaining and of what the final results would be.

Happily, I finished today that much and hard prep work and hopefully I'll find the chance to present tomorrow the results...

post-4345-0-85387300-1348699149_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-53377500-1348699162_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-05747300-1348699180_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-91394600-1348699197_thumb.jpg

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Astrinos.... Great trip report and finds.... I nearly got a suntan reading it :)...

'' Despite it was my first find of this kind, I left it back becouse of the known space problems '' ...You can always nip back for this specimen when you have made some room ;)

Astrinos.... Great trip report and finds.... I nearly got a suntan reading it :)...

'' Despite it was my first find of this kind, I left it back becouse of the known space problems '' ...You can always nip back for this specimen when you have made some room ;)

Thanks, Steve!

You really would have got a suntan if you were unter the sun for a long time in 35o C,,, Very high for this epoch. That's why I thanked the bridge for its shadow... Hopefully, I'll have the chance to pic that seaweed up sometime...

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis