Fish Bones? And ....?

paco

Hello everybody.

I hope to gradually clear out the "problematica" section of my collection and get some IDs and spec-labels on my finds.

So here's what I have this time:

- The first picture is of some fossils that I guess are fish bones of some sort (I think that because fish bones I found with them at the same spot show the same kind of fossilization). Can anyone identify what these are?

- In the 2nd picture I have some... "things" I have no idea what they are.

The three in the bottom row are more deteriorated and flatter than the top row speciments. Their "front" and "back" views are similar with that of the top row's but they lack the kind of depression/groove the top ones have so I could not get them to "stand up straight" to get a shot of them. Any ideas on these?

Any clue to get me further is welcome as always

PS: sorry forgot to set the "setting": Pliocene (Zanclean) marine deposits, Greece

post-5541-0-98493300-1308723359_thumb.jpg

post-5541-0-15930300-1308723386_thumb.jpg

Edited by paco

Hello Paco

We find very similar things in the upper Yorktown Formation in North Carolina. In the mid 1800s they were misidentified as fish teeth. Now they are described as hyperostosed fish bone from an unknown fish. I'm not so sure I agree with the identification but it is the best one so far.

post-2301-0-34181400-1308739957_thumb.jpg

Wow!!

This is what I like about this forum.

AlDente thank you very much.

Which bone is this supposed to be?

I have to agree with you not agreeing with the id...

I have been wondering for years what these could be and despite your immediate response I think I will still consider the identification "inconclusive".

Paco

I think the objects in the first image are parts of a goose barnacle, in particular a piece called the carina. If you do a Google image search and type in cirripede carina you will see similar pieces.

Paco

I think the objects in the first image are parts of a goose barnacle, in particular a piece called the carina. If you do a Google image search and type in cirripede carina you will see similar pieces.

Dear (I dare write) friend Al Dente...

Thank you so much!

Looks to me you are right, I think it could be some kind of Lepas sp. or maybe Conchoderma sp. carina. Cool!

And the coolest about this? I dare to make a possible id based on C. Darwin's monograph on Cirripedia that popped up on my google search (http://www.gutenberg.org/files/31558/31558-h/31558-h.htm)...

I have found lots of barnacles at my spot but only "sedentary" species of Balanus and Concavus, no goose barnacles until now!

I knew it would pay off keeping these even not knowing what they were.

Owe you one... more.