I Need Help With An Id

Ameenah

here are some pics i just took i hope they help I did them in a rush before work .

@ Rockwood it seems to be concaved slightly on one side.

Thank you all for all your responces :)

~Ameenah

post-3008-0-36475800-1357647608_thumb.jpg

post-3008-0-16178000-1357647610_thumb.jpg

post-3008-0-69138900-1357647611_thumb.jpg

post-3008-0-39837000-1357647613_thumb.jpg

post-3008-0-99046800-1357647614_thumb.jpg

post-3008-0-45469500-1357647616_thumb.jpg

Explore -> Dream -> Discover !

Something about the piece with a pattern still visable suggests crinoid arms but I'm not seeing stems. Rockwood, could you pass me some of that popcorn?

you two LOL !!!..........

so did the pics help or did they confuse the subject? lol

Well I guess its safe to say it's not a burrow because of that Pic with the visable pattern.

Interesting... the new pix are tough to see... a bit fuzzy. I agree that the one with the funky pattern is a point away from burrows, but the others without pattern still say burrow to me.

I've seen shells posted which showed a shape typical of the external surface, but virtually no contrast to the matrix. The only explanation I could think of is that they must be a natural cast that was exposed at what is essentially a cleavage plain. I wonder if this could be something similar. I suspect it will take some in hand study by an expert to have any degree of certainty on this one. Take it to a museum before Bob and I run out of popcorn :)

I'm still going with crinoid stems, I have plenty of flattened crinoid stems from the Ord. to the Miss.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

post-2520-0-58696900-1357765383_thumb.jpgpost-2520-0-91241500-1357765401_thumb.jpgHere's a shot of multi colored burrows of some kind, Mississippian in age.

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

post-2520-0-58696900-1357765383_thumb.jpgpost-2520-0-91241500-1357765401_thumb.jpgHere's a shot of multi colored burrows of some kind, Mississippian in age.

Wow great pics Herb thanks for sharing them.

...guys and their food...shake%20head.gif

:P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That sure looks like them.Arthrophycus ?brongniartii

Nice work ! It would be a real shot for the ego if the features that threw us off initially turned out to be some long sought after evidence as to the nature of the creatures that left them.

Edited by Rockwood

I do, but I'm just an old popcorn eater in these ranks. I still think you should have it examined by an expert. It's a lot more likely to be a positive ID, and who knows it could be a serious discovery. I've met some great people and learned a lot at museums.

Good luck :)

Dale

• 3 weeks later...

Grier museum in Cincinnati, Oh

Here is a photo of a Platycrinites saffordi crinoid stem and columnals that were found in Monroe County Indiana for comparison.

post-6292-0-89292900-1360118130_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a photo of a Platycrinites saffordi crinoid stem and columnals that were found in Monroe County Indiana for comparison.