I Need Help With An Id

Ameenah

Hello Everyone,

I found this plate in Springfield, TN yesterday on a creek bed under a overpass. I belive they are some type of worm I would like to find out what type they are.

Thanks for the help in advance,

~Ameenah

post-3008-0-00462400-1357496197_thumb.jpg

post-3008-0-79625200-1357496199_thumb.jpg

post-3008-0-84582800-1357496201_thumb.jpg

post-3008-0-50085400-1357496203_thumb.jpg

post-3008-0-68717300-1357496205_thumb.jpg

Explore -> Dream -> Discover !

The piece with a circular shape on it's side in the third photo looks like it could be a cirrinodal columnal from a crinoid stem. Does an end view contradict the idea ?

Look like crinoid stem pieces to me also.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I sure see what you mean about them being flattened...the only other thing I can think of is cephalopod, but that doesn't fly because your specimens don't taper.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ichnofossil? Maybe a burrow of some kind?

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

no it is not a burrow lol I'll take better pics and post tomorrow sometime .

Thanks to everyone :D

better pics to come soon......................

I have seen flattened crinoid columnals like that. There are burrows that look similar, but they don't separate into sections like the crinoids do.

It just came to me. There is a picture of a crinoid with flattened columnals on the cover of the book FOSSIL CRINOIDS. Try an image search for platycrinites.

It just came to me. There is a picture of a crinoid with flattened columnals on the cover of the book FOSSIL CRINOIDS. Try an image search for platycrinites.

TFF_CrinoidBook_zps66ec7e9c.jpg

Platycrinites

Natural flat-like twisting stem

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

Looks like Polychaete sp. to me...

"PECO" (Pecopteris) - I specialize in Carboniferous fossils. I have a wide array of plants. In my collection at the moment: Ferns, Calamites, Syringodendron, Aspidaria and Sigillaria.

Looks like Polychaete sp. to me...

I have the book ...

Quoting from "Fossil Crinoids" page 149 with the same photo that appears on the cover...

"Complete crinoids from Indian Creek, uppermost Edwardsville Formation.

Platycrinites saffordi (the large complete specimen) carrying the gastropod Platyceras"

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

I have the book ...

Quoting from "Fossil Crinoids" page 149 with the same photo that appears on the cover...

"Complete crinoids from Indian Creek, uppermost Edwardsville Formation.

Platycrinites saffordi (the large complete specimen) carrying the gastropod Platyceras"

I think that pecopteris is saying that Ameena's mystery specimen looks like a polychaete to him.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow Guys,

I just got home from work.... Thanks so much for all of the help. I really didnt think the crinoid skeletal remains could be that flat but I stand corrected LOL.

I found this when I first started collecting and thougt it was also a worm fragment what do you all think of this?

post-3008-0-10750900-1357612733_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ameenah

Ichnofossil? Maybe a burrow of some kind?

The problem with the Burrow idea is that it would be the same color as the matrix like in this pic right?

post-3008-0-70581900-1357615182_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ameenah

Hi Ameenah,

Maybe in the formation you are collecting burrows will always be the same color as the matrix. However, I don't think all burrow fossils need to be the same color as the surrounding matrix though. I've seen red Ophiomorpha burrows embedded in a grayish matrix online before, but perhaps those are just a special case. Regardless, the crinoid column idea looks like a good ID. :) Cool fossil!

Edited by AgrilusHunter

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Howdy Ameenah-

I agree, that burrows aren't necessairly the same color as the matrix. Often, yes, but not always. Burrows usually show no internal structure either... what do the ends of your look like? Your fossils seem to have very little structural stuff going on... I am going to go with horizontal bottom of the sea burrows.

Edited by jpc

Hi Ameenah,

Maybe in the formation you are collecting burrows will always be the same color as the matrix. However, I don't think all burrow fossils need to be the same color as the surrounding matrix though. I've seen red Ophiomorpha burrows embedded in a grayish matrix online before, but perhaps those are just a special case. Regardless, the crinoid column idea looks like a good ID. :) Cool fossil!

Cool I dont think i've ever seen that before. Do you know what would cause the difference in color, secreations from the animal maybe?

Thanks so much :)

HI Ameenah,

I really don't know but I'll bet another member here does. If I had to guess I'd go with your suggestion of secretions or maybe just a different type of infilling mud.

-- Terry Pratchett

If a burrow was just a hole before it was infilled with sediment it stands to reason that the sediment that filled it in could be at least somewhat different from the sediment on the seabed that was originally burrowed into. It would all depend on what material was being washed into the sea at any one time and that could vary with the layers being eroded from the banks of the river system providing the sediment. But I'm reluctant to offer a guess on your fossil until I can see a picture of the end because of it's similarity to a crinoid. Since they don't all look exactly the same it's also possible they may not be the same thing.

Edited by BobWill

Wow Guys,

I just got home from work.... Thanks so much for all of the help. I really didnt think the crinoid skeletal remains could be that flat but I stand corrected LOL.

I found this when I first started collecting and thougt it was also a worm fragment what do you all think of this?

post-3008-0-10750900-1357612733_thumb.jpg

Is this one convex or concave ? If it's concave I would guess mould of a crinoid stem.