March 2014 Finds Of The Month

JohnJ

This month the weather should start to warm up for members in the northern hemisphere. Let's hope that gives you the chance to make your best discovery in March! Carefully read the rules below, make sure you include all the required information, and submit your fantastic finds! :D

Please remember that we recently introduced another qualification to the current rules. Make a note of Rule #5: Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for Prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest. In addition to keeping the contest fair, this new qualification will encourage better documentation of our spectacular past finds. Best of luck to all and good hunting!

Entries will be taken through March 31st. Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for sharing more of your fossils and research this month.

To view the Winning Fossils from past contests visit the Find Of The Month Winner's Gallery.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. You find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found by you.

2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry.

3. Your Fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or significant Preparation of your Fossil must have been completed during the Month of the Contest.

4. You must include the Date of your Discovery or the Date of Preparation Completion.

5. Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for Prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest.

6. You must include the common or scientific name.

7. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the Fossil was found.

8. Play fair and honest. No bought fossils. No false claims.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the fossils. So, only entries posted with a CLEAR photo and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll.

Within a few days, we will know the two winning Finds of the Month! Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Nice job on the prep, looks tricky! Still amazed what can be found just by splitting a rock. How long is that jaw?

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

I would like to submit my fresh out of the creek find.Vertebrate,Pleistocene baby Mammoth tooth found on 3/9 :)

post-7921-0-41216100-1394498730_thumb.jpg

post-7921-0-01921900-1394498771_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Congrats on your find Koss1959. Could you please provide more focused photos of your find? :)

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the fossils. So, only entries posted with a CLEAR photo and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll.

Can we post fossils that we have found at ANY TIME? Or is it just fossils that were found in the said month? I've always been unclear on this.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Can we post fossils that we have found at ANY TIME? Or is it just fossils that were found in the said month? I've always been unclear on this.

"3. Your Fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or significant Preparation of your Fossil must have been completed during the Month of the Contest."

"5. Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for Prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest."

My first cookie cutter shark tooth (Isistius brasiliensis).

Saturday, March 8th

Miocene FL matrix send from jcbshark.

post-6564-0-90220800-1394834824_thumb.jpg

post-6564-0-75404900-1394834830_thumb.jpg

My first cookie cutter shark tooth (Isistius brasiliensis).

Saturday, March 8th

Miocene FL matrix send from jcbshark.

Congrats Brian, what a great tooth.It's amazing that any make it to be found in perfect shape! I hope there's some other treasures for you in there as well :fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

More pictures of the vert. It's hard to photograph.

Much better...thanks. :)

Well this looks fun even for an unrefined rock picker upper like myself.... rugose coral. Des Moines River in central Iowa. Pennsylvanian for the most part. March 10th find on the river bank.

post-14400-0-11416200-1395012484_thumb.jpg

post-14400-0-49657500-1395012493_thumb.jpg

post-14400-0-54017500-1395012503_thumb.jpg

post-14400-0-63070900-1395012511_thumb.jpg

At the end of the month, I'll set up a Poll where all us peasants can vote. :)

So, I finally found something cool that I could put in this contest that doesn't need a lot of prep and wasn't found on the last day of the month and that I had the time to enter before I got home a few days after the time limit. Woohoo!

Petalodus sp. tooth.

Found March 15, 2014.

No prep other than a little water.

Pennsylvanian, Harpersville Formation at the top of the Pennsylvanian on the edge of the Permian, Pueblo Formation. All part of the Cisco Group.

Coleman County, Texas.

post-534-0-66530600-1395343146_thumb.jpgpost-534-0-76469800-1395343141_thumb.jpgpost-534-0-26335200-1395343138_thumb.jpg

A few more pics here.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/45014-brownwood-petalodus/page-2#entry488645

My conularia that I found at Lake Jacksboro, Texas.

100_3756_zps1a054b22.jpg

Edited by RyanNREMTP

Find in February but just finish to prep. Palaeotherium magnum from eocene of southwest France. 310mm

tres jolie, caterpillar

This is my entry for March. I found this whale tooth on March 14, 2014 at a quarry in Coastal North Carolina, USA. The area which the tooth was found has the Castle Hayne Formation, Eocene deposits. The tooth is not perfect by far, the tip is broken. However, finding this particular species of whale was and still is exciting for me. :)

The Zygorhiza kochii is an extinct genus of basilosaurid whale of the Eocene epoch. Early whale 38-34 mya. The whale was like our modern cetaceans, but had rudimentary hind limbs. The adult whale could grow to about 7,400 pounds.

Kingdom: Animalia

Phylum: Chordata

Class: Mammalia

Order: Cetacea

Suborder: Archaeoceti

Family: Basilosauridae

Subfamily: Dorudontinae

Genus: Zygorhiza (True 1908)

Species: Z. kochii

The tooth is a canine tooth. Not sure if it is maxillary or mandibular.

Libby

post-7899-0-07499700-1395495209_thumb.jpg

post-7899-0-88097900-1395495226_thumb.jpg

post-7899-0-30004900-1395495353_thumb.jpg

Edited by masonboro37

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Nice find Libby---Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

My conularia that I found at Lake Jacksboro, Texas.

100_3756_zps1a054b22.jpg

Excellent find!!! I'd love to see a conularid win the FTOM.