(Pseudo) Fossil Duck

Pagurus

Today I found a fossil duck. I knew you'ld all exclaim, "What luck!"
"Unbelievable!" I hear you say in a semi-pseudo-serious way.

post-6366-0-41426800-1435264506.jpg post-6366-0-21369200-1435264527_thumb.jpg

post-6366-0-50652500-1435264553_thumb.jpg post-6366-0-39905500-1435264584_thumb.jpg

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

:D Just ducky.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

this quacks me up.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I find a lot of Rock Ducks in my neck of the woods, but they are hard to catch and don't swim very well :D .

post-1148-0-48995400-1435277097_thumb.jpg

Jim

Old Dead Things

Thank you all for pekin at my rare find. I would like to include it in a duckumentary. It might be a little lame but I guess I'll just wing it.

Thanks for all the wise quacks, and I really do like your rock duck, Jim. It took me awhile, Ziggie, but I finally understood.

Not only did you find a duck with soft parts preserved, it's smoking! Soft part anatomy and behavior in the same fossil! What an extraordinary find!.

Don

Not only did you find a duck with soft parts preserved, it's smoking! Soft part anatomy and behavior in the same fossil! What an extraordinary find!.

Don

I'm impressed by your keen observation, Don. I believe the smoke trace is known as Anas pyroichnus. Of course they are especially rare in public buildings nowadays.

Mike

It's better than you think; it's a baby penguin! :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Penguin? My first reaction was fowl play in this starling startling tern of events, and I must admit

my feathers were a bit ruffled when Auspex made his pronouncement, robin me of my fossil

duck, but I must defer to our resident knower of all things avian. There it is, in black and white,

a baby penguin.

I can see the penguin, but would a baby be smoking? I think it's an adult, but of a species with a small adult body size. Also it has a pretty tough expression on it's face, almost raptor-like. A diminutive smoking penguin with lots of "machismo". May we also infer a bit of a "Napoleon Complex"? "I may be small but I'm tough, don't mess with me!". Still more behavior from this remarkable fossil!

Don