A New Technique from a New Area

Three examples of what seem to be artfully enhanced geologically formed "specimens":

A carved "bird skull":

post-423-0-98005800-1446998186_thumb.jpg

A carved "bat""\:

post-423-0-44161800-1446998204_thumb.jpg

A scratched-and-painted "snake":

post-423-0-43815200-1446998229_thumb.jpg

It is becoming ever more important to become a connoisseur of the techniques of forgery! In these examples, it looks like the artist drew inspiration from natural irregularities, stains, and cracks in the rocks to create these "fossils".

The seller purports to be in Mexico, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the objects were fabricated there.

• I found this Informative 4

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow. People are getting craftier and craftier. Those are actually really nicely made. It's a shame that they're presented as real.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

If these people just advertised their art as, "art works on stone" they would probably do better than trying to fool people and getting a bad reputation. The pieces are not bad, just the lies are not good.

yep a 2nd wow Chas...any chance of getting a close up of the 2nd photo details?

The posted images are screen shots from the auction listing; I cannot do better. :(

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Wow! The first two look pretty legit.

Dishonestly clever.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Best to find your own fossils. :)

Thanks for these examples...crafty indeed.

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

We being humans and we learn by making mistakes so folks buying fakes will always happen. Ive been around the block once or twice and those first two pics are laughable. The snake looks a bit more real. I used to take my loup everywhere I went so I could examine fossils up close if need be. My eyesight started to go south when I was about 40 years of age and with the loup I could see things that were dead givaways for being fake. My 2 cents

RB

The thing about a lot of experience though, is that you exactly know what you are looking for. Rookies with an interest may have a vague idea what to look for. But without the experience, they don't have a frame of reference to compare fakes with.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

post-2806-0-78789300-1447174484.png

Tricky. <_<

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

We being humans and we learn by making mistakes so folks buying fakes will always happen. Ive been around the block once or twice and those first two pics are laughable. The snake looks a bit more real. I used to take my loup everywhere I went so I could examine fossils up close if need be. My eyesight started to go south when I was about 40 years of age and with the loup I could see things that were dead givaways for being fake. My 2 centsRB

Interesting observations, RB. For i myself have been around several blocks as well, and i thought the snake was the most laughable. But as pfooley said... One more reason to stick to self collecting.

If only we could all be so idealistic and never give in to FAS (Fossil Acquisitiveness Syndrome) - There will always be a desire among certain people (ahem) to collect things from elsewhere and if you can't travel there yourself you are left with the option to buy it or not have it at all.

As I said, those all might have fooled me, but I have not been around the block regarding this type of fossil like some of you have, and that's probably because I am not into collecting verts. If I had more of an interest, I would hope that the "It Looks Too Good To Be True" feeling would cross my mind, and even without any more experience than I have, it probably would have anyway (I hope), but who knows. There are lots of wonderful and amazing fossils being found and sold.

Caveat Emptor.

There is a fourth offer from this guy:
post-2081-0-88475500-1447234984_thumb.jpg

Bidding is now over 450US$ each for the "bat" and for this "amphibian"; 150 US $ is for the bird skull. The "snake" does not attract so many bidders.

It's still time to bid - hurry up (if you want to loose some money) ;)

Thomas

• I found this Informative 1

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

This guy has stopped the auction and has withdrawn all "fossils"

Edited by oilshale

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

This guy has stopped the auction and has withdrawn all "fossils"

Huh...I wonder what the story behind that move is?

Maybe the auctioneer or some potential buyers saw this thread?

It would be nice to think that we can make an impact on 'cleaning-up' the dark side of the fossil trade.

Huh...I wonder what the story behind that move is?

Disapointed about the low bidding amount? May be 450US $ was not what he expected?

I have never seen an auction being stopped by an auctioneer even if it was absolutely clear the item offered was a fake. They won't interfere.

Edited by oilshale

Maybe they did not know they were fakes until now and pulled the items.

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Hopefully that is what happened. For the time being, let us asume the best.

A couple of members might have asked questions and given skeptical comments. If the seller is unaware of his item being a fake and actually is an honest guy - just being mislead - this will / can help.

Thomas

New fossils on sale - now a Pterosaure head, a complete bird, the snake and a lizard.

I thought Mexico kept pretty strict control over fossil exports. Assuming these were real I'm sure he'd be breaking the law big time!

True. Thus why I have never bought a fossil or traded for one that was not collected by the trader. It's not that everyone is dishonest as much as there are so many fakes in circulation that most who have them are unaware...even recommended dealers.

I've been fooled by fake Tyrannossaurid fossil teeth ....even after having collected a few hundred. I have absolutely no idea how anyone could have faith that a purchased tooth was legitimate. ' I know the seller...' As PT Barnum said...

Edited by Ridgehiker

True. Thus why I have never bought a fossil or traded for one that was not collected by the trader. It's not that everyone is dishonest as much as there are so many fakes in circulation that most who have them are unaware...even recommended dealers.

I've been fooled by fake Tyrannossaurid fossil teeth ....even after having collected a few hundred. I have absolutely no idea how anyone could have faith that a purchased tooth was legitimate. ' I know the seller...' As PT Barnum said...

Would these fake tyrannosaurid teeth pass a hot needle test? Can we see pictures of these fakes?