Over 100 Fossil Collectors Hit the Creek

BobWill

We had the Dallas Paleontological Society out to a site I found in Cooke County Texas yesterday and it was successful beyond my wildest expectations. This was a trip open to the public and the public responded like never before. We gathered on the square in the small town of Valley View and the people just kept coming and coming. It was impossible to get an accurate headcount but it was well over 100 people of all ages. Luckily it was a large site. We had access to over a mile of a creek with enough fossils for everybody. The big draw was the ammonite Eopachydiscus sp. They can get huge and there was one found by a group of students that had to weigh well over 200 pounds. Four big guys carried it out on a large canvas and still had a struggle. Another collector found a near perfect Mortoniceras sp. with a completely intact rostrum. There were some large Inoceramus sp. clams found and partial heteromorph ammonites Ideohamites fremonti. Our media person made this short video of the collectors along one stretch of the creek and promised to put up more video later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knMBnqaAgHg

You can also see some posts with pictures on facebook here.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/221569224819/

I will try to get some more pictures up as soon as they come along.

That was an awesome trip indeed! I couldn't believe the size of some of the ammonites being found! I thought I had seen some huge ones at Texoma, but those were babies compared to some of these! I loaned out a chisel to someone who was working to extract one, and it seemed that no matter how far she cut into the matrix, that ammonite just kept going!

Congratulations, and well done! I'm sure many of the participants will remember the day for a long time to come.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

That is something else! I wasn't aware ammonites had such a structure before now. What purpose was it thought to serve?

That's the best one I've ever seen on a Texas ammonite. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Here's the ammonite with the rostrum. It's the longest one I've ever seen.

attachicon.gif12512327_716075441869056_4551848561857942981_n.jpg

Wow! I hope that ammonite went home with somebody? I've looked at hundreds of ammonites and have yet to see one.

You should enter it in the fossil of the month contest.

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I hope that one went home intact!

I'll bet that section of the creek won't be worth collecting for some time after that group descended on it.

The ammonite with the rostrum was found by NSRKing or at least that was the name he used to go by here. Luckily we had a collector at the site with a rock saw who helped him get it out intact. This is actually the 5th one I know of to come from this site but the first one that was all there to start with and didn't break.

I haven't heard a solid argument for the purpose of a rostrum (or lappets either for that matter) which form on some ammonites but they are only seen on the larger of the two forms some species occur in, the "macroconch" and never on the "microconch". It is speculated that the size difference may be a matter of sexual dimorphism where the smaller is the male like in Argonauts or some other invertebrates like spiders but I don't know of any conclusive evidence to confirm that.

Edited by BobWill

Sounds like it was a real success. Unfortunately the facebook link doesn't work for me, so all I've seen up to now is the unicorn, which is really something special! Hopefully you can post some pics soon. Apropos micro and macroconches, Callomon was one of the first to bring some relatively conclusive evidence on the subject, but it's all still under debate as far as the details are concerned.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

A couple of more pictures from the hunt Saturday

post-4419-0-61581000-1459184624_thumb.jpg

Macraster mass mortality bedding plane

post-4419-0-85022200-1459184647_thumb.jpg

Leptostyrax giant partial shark vert

That looks like a great trip. I really wanted to go but had to work. Maybe next time. lol

Looks like a very successful trip I love the ammonite and am, green with envy "I WANT ONE"

Thanks for the post

Regards

Mike

That ech mass mortality is impressive.. .that's something you never see up here in my hunting grounds: the most echs I've ever found together is two!

It was an awesome trip! I talked with the people removing the ammonite with the rostrum! How exciting for them! Good thing they had that saw! Thank you, Bob, for organizing such a fun hunt!

I had an awesome time on this trip. And thank you Bob for finding this place and organizing such a trip!

Here are my finds. I have not yet had time to clean them off, something to do this weekend. :D

post-19104-0-31216500-1459383719_thumb.jpg

Here is a photo of one of the big ammonites. It isn't clear from the picture but this guy is probably 200mm or more thick on the far side. That accounts for the massive weight.

Any Fossil Forum member is welcome to visit this site if you give me a few days notice. Just PM me for details whenever you'll be in North Central Texas.

post-4419-0-14447700-1459393553_thumb.jpg

Edited by BobWill

I just looked up the Dallas Paleontological Society of FB and asked to join! I would love drive down for a hunt sometime with my daughter! It's a little bit of a trek, but I would drive 4-5 hours for a good hunt sometime! I browsed the page and looks like an excellent resource! I'm excited to learn more!

Thanks!

That big ammo is spectacular. Great work in getting it out!

• 3 weeks later...