St.Paul Indiana Quarry News

Raggedy Man

Many people have expressed interest in hunting the Waldron at the St.Paul Stone Quarry, but due to not being involved with a club access is denied.....or is it? It is my pleasure to announce major changes in access to this bucket list quarry.

*Update and Changes*

Instead of organized club trips on Fridays, a series of Saturday open collecting opportunities have been initiated. At this time, there are two dates available with more possibly to follow. Those dates are: May 21st(past) and July 16th. Those interested in collecting need to show up at the quarry office between 7:30 am and 8:00 am (Eastern Time) to sign waivers and probably receive on-site training.

This quarry is in the Silurian Waldron Formation composed of shales that can be broken to release fossils. In areas that have weathered longer, the shales often turn into muds with fossil on the surface. Fossils available are corals, brachiopods, sponges, rare nautiloids, and, the most desirable, trilobites and crinoids.

More dates may be added in the future and I will update this topic as news trickles down. If you go this July 16, you may see my wife and I as its our wedding anniversary. No movies about notebooks for us!

EDIT-This quarry does require boots, pants(no shorts) and hardhat.

I hope to see fellow forum members this July 16!

Best regards,

Paul

Edited by Raggedy Man
  • I found this Informative 4

...I'm back.

I know I'm looking forward to this! And no, no movies about notebooks for us... But there might be some notebooks being updated with our latest fossil finds!

"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious."

~ Albert Einstein

Oh, for those of you who may have started wondering about this wife he speaks of. I'm really real. I am not a figment of his imagination. I do exist.

• I found this Informative 1

"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious."

~ Albert Einstein

Oh, for those of you who may have started wondering about this wife he speaks of. I'm really real. I am not a figment of his imagination. I do exist.

That's just what I'd expect a figment to say. :P

My wife (primary fossil hunting partner) and I have spent many an anniversary in the field collecting things or out bird watching or just doing something we love with the one we love. IMHO boxes of chocolates, overpriced greeting cards, and bouquets of flowers are the icons of the corporate world trying to cash-in on our special day. I'd rather go out and make some memories doing what interests us--I can eat chocolate any day. This year's anniversary is one of those big round numbers and so we're scraping together the funds to go see a new continent--we thought about Antarctica for a long while but settled on Africa for a Kruger safari.

I'm heading up to the Chicago area today (for a week) and hope to get some fossil hunting in while there (sadly no Fossil Rock campground this time). I don't know if I'll be in country in mid-July as I think I'll be doing coral reef workshops in the Dominican Republic at that time. The St. Paul quarry sounds like an excellent opportunity and if I don't make this date I'll be looking for another in the future--new experiences are the best!

Cheers.

-Ken

P.S.: Happy anniversary (proactively).

That's just what I'd expect a figment to say. :P

Lol

You should PM me when you get situated and have an idea when you might be free. We could hit pit 11 at the park(I found some spots off the beaten path rarely worked) or some ordovician road cuts west of Rockford. That's unless Charlies taking you out on the canoe, then in that case you'll be good to go.

Edited by Raggedy Man

...I'm back.

I enjoyed my visit to the quarry two years ago with a group from Penn Dixie, and I heartily recommend it to anyone who can make it to these open houses!

I'm going to try to make the July 16th date. This will only be my 2nd real fossil hunting trip, so I'll be the clueless newbie wandering around.

I'm going to try to make the July 16th date. This will only be my 2nd real fossil hunting trip, so I'll be the clueless newbie wandering around.

The conditions of the quarry change with each visit. My tip is to walk around first looking for fossils just laying on the quarry floor. We can meet up if ya like and I can help you for a little bit, show you the ropes for this spot.

Best regards,

Paul

...I'm back.

That would be great! Thanks. I will have to let you know as the date gets nearer and I firm up plans.

I'ma have to look at my calander and see if I can squeeze a trip in that weekend. Maybe go down to the Napoleon quarry too for Osgood fossils. :zzzzscratchchin:

Thanks for the info!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I'm fairly certain and confident in saying no, but I've only hunted there with my club. I was not notified that the quarry would be collecting an entry fee. This as far as I know, is the quarry's first time in allowing open collection days. I do know a hard hat, eye protection, pants and boots are required.

Best regards,

Paul

...I'm back.

Looks like I'll be over in the Dominican Republic teaching a workshop from July 9-17 so, barring any recent developments in cloning or time-travel technology, it seems I'll have to give this one a miss.

Hoping I can catch it on some future open collecting date. Take lots of photos (including the fun in-situ photos) so we'll all be able to experience your quarry trip from the comfort of our computers.

Cheers.

-Ken

Kudos to the quarry operators for allowing this.. I hope it's the start of a trend/movement....

Kudos to the quarry operators for allowing this.. I hope it's the start of a trend/movement....

I completely agree. I think we're making some head room here in Wisconsin. I've been working with local senators and congressman on a bipartisan bill. Basically here in Wisconsin, state laws do not allow non employees to enter active quarry sites. This bill would mitigate liability for injuries and others personal damage claims for the quarry. I'll keep the Wisconsin thread updated as I receive information.

Best regards,

Paul

...I'm back.

You mean some headway?

Thanks for doing that, I'll keep watching.. If it succeeds, the rest of us can maybe point to it as an example of what should be done in our own jurisdictions.

It looks like the wife and I will be making this trip. I was thinking about going back to St Leon for a little bit afterwards. Are there any other nearby must do road cuts?

You mean some headway?

Thanks for doing that, I'll keep watching.. If it succeeds, the rest of us can maybe point to it as an example of what should be done in our own jurisdictions.

Yep..auto correct for the win. I'm actually using Illinois as an example. I'll definitely keep everyone up to date as the process advances.

...I'm back.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm heading towards the St. Paul Quarry on Friday for the Saturday open house. Look for a light blue Prius with PA plates and that is me. :) Anyone else going to be there?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Just noted the date of this quarry hunt. It coincides with my family departing me for the weekend. Am seriously thinking of making the long trip. Boots are mentioned as a requirement. Would steel toed shoes be ok? How long are you allowed to stay in the quarry? Also, just show up or do I contact someone if I am coming.

My wife and I will be there. I booked a room in Greensburg for Friday night so it will be a short trip to the quarry.

Just confirmed with the Quarry that the times are 8am - 12pm. The lady I spoke to said they have a number of large groups attending as well with one supposing to have 20 people. I've never been to the quarry and I don't know what the collecting area is like but I'm going to take a shot anyway.

-Dave

I had just conversed with Raggedy Man and he said at the ESCON meeting, it was stated hunting would be till 4;00. I can not justify a trip from Minnesota for 4 hours. Are you sure that the person providing the 12:00 departure is truly knowledgeable? It makes a HUGE difference in my plans.

I learned of the quarry change in May and was told 8-4pm. I just spoke to a few esconi members and they confirmed it ends at noon.

...I'm back.