The Beginning of the Endless "Beach Combing" Collection #1

InfoHungryMom

5bcf8917cb1ad_AWESOMEOYSTERCLUSTER1withwording.jpg.7877361ed582211779b18830bc43fb60.jpgA few pictures of items already on my computer at work (oops!)  As always, I would love to know anything and everything you can share about what they are-

Thank you!

(Fascinating oyster cluster)

5bcf87ba62b67_AWESOMEOYSTERCLUSTER2.thumb.jpg.fd5a5ff88f20d5a971225a5ef507b198.jpg

AWESOME OYSTER CLUSTER 2.jpg

AWESOME OYSTER CLUSTER 3.jpg

AWESOME OYSTER CLUSTER 4.jpg

AWESOME OYSTER CLUSTER 1.jpg

#2  bones and an angel wing fossil shown in another picture

BONES 1.jpg

BONES 2.jpg

Fossilized oyster cluster with additional fossils embedded

Image 1 of fossilized oyster with coral and more.jpg

IMAGE 2.jpg

IMAGE 3.jpg

IMAGE 4.jpg

IMAGE 5.jpg

Better pictures of fossilized "angel wing" shell... looks and feels like a part of a golf ball!

Fossilized angel wing looks like golf ball front and back.jpg

Lots of stuff!  I know/recognize the mussel and the Operculum (that is a fascinating find when still flexible!)... the rest are mysteries to me.

fossils and more 1.JPG

fossils and more back of shells.JPG

possibly fossilized bones.jpg

possibly fossilized bones 2.jpg

I found these bones in a dune.  They must have been there, exposed to the Sun for so long that they no longer have any "typical bone" weight.  Based on the location, I am guessing they belong to a marine mammal....  input, as always, is greatly appreciated!

unbelievably fossilized bones from beach dune 1.jpg

unbelievably fossilized bones from beach dune 2.jpg

49 minutes ago, InfoHungryMom said:

I found these bones in a dune.  They must have been there, exposed to the Sun for so long that they no longer have any "typical bone" weight.  Based on the location, I am guessing they belong to a marine mammal....  input, as always, is greatly appreciated!

unbelievably fossilized bones from beach dune 1.jpg

unbelievably fossilized bones from beach dune 2.jpg

These are most likely modern bones.

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

The oyster cluster in #1looks to have nice encrusting tubeworms and some sponge borings.

In #3, in the circled in red area, might be a barnacle base.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

3 hours ago, InfoHungryMom said:

I found these bones in a dune

The two right and left up top have the shape of chevrons. The long bone in the middle has the appearance of a baculum. Marine mammal is a pretty good guess, perhaps dolphin.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Thank you! I especially appreciate the identification of the remote.  In fact it’s a “Verizon Fios” programmable remote (the king that is supposed to do everything but no matter what you STILL need the television’s original remote!) circa 2014.  Good info though, Darktooth!  :D

#5 - The lower one in the middle might be a spondylid ("thorny oyster"), weathered and bioeroded, without the thorns.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thank you, but I don’t understand what could have cause the extreme “disfigurement?” ?

The "angel wing" is a bony fish quadrate, a bone in the skull.  The "wing" is called the preopercular process.  It is bone number 5. in the diagram (names in Latin).

fishcraniumpremax.jpg.80405de516071205e78a4b5cd1af7d8e.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Harry,

Not to be disrespectful, because I learned a lot from your post, but in "Beach Combing Verbage"...

An "Angel Wing" is an "Angel Wing Clam" or a "Piddock"  (aka:  cyrtopleura costat, a bivalve mollusk, in the family Pholadidae  :))

The fossil I have feels and looks like a chunk out of a golf ball  (Not quite gutta-percha though!  Yeah, I looked this stuff up!)

angel wing clam.jpg

angel wing clam fossil.jpg