Unidentified Miocene Sharks Tooth

Fat Boy

I found this tooth a couple years ago and wasn't sure what it was, and filed it away in my "to be identified later" box. Well, I was going through that box the other day and took this one out for a pic to share with y'all. I think that it's a Galeocerdo contortus parasymphyseal tooth. Sorry, the pics aren't very good and I vow to post better ones soon. The cutting edges of the blade are lightly serrated.

Do you all agree with my identification?

Lingual view:

unidentifiedtooth1.jpg

Labial view:

unidentifiedtooth2.jpg

Side view:

unidentifiedtooth3.jpg

Thanks!

Kevin Wilson

With serrated edges????

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Guest bmorefossil
I don't see any hint of serrations but that may be due to the pic quality?

yea and a cutting edge can be seen on the side view picture

The cutting edges are definitely serrated. The pic quality isn't so good. I'll try and get better pics. Sorry about that.

I've heard of makos being serrated before (Hastalis), but this tooth was found at Brownies and I would think that those sediments would be a bit too old. But, what do I know?

Thanks for the input thus far, tomorrow I'll have better pics.

Kevin Wilson

Guest bmorefossil
Was gw around at that time?

idk really, i have never seen a gw actually found along the cliffs so i really wouldnt know. im thinking its not because you would think the serrations on the thing would stand out if it was a gw

idk really, i have never seen a gw actually found along the cliffs so i really wouldnt know. im thinking its not because you would think the serrations on the thing would stand out if it was a gw

The root is was is throwing me. That looks like a tiger shark tooth from the side.

Guest bmorefossil
The root is was is throwing me. That looks like a tiger shark tooth from the side.

yea the more i look at it the more it does

If it were mine, the label would say Galeocerdo contortus (whether that's right or not, it has the look).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

If it were mine, the label would say Galeocerdo contortus (whether that's right or not, it has the look).

Galeocerdo contortus is no longer a valid name. It has been re-assigned to Physogaleus contortus

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Galeocerdo contortus is no longer a valid name. It has been re-assigned to Physogaleus contortus

Yeah, my Miocene shark's tooth lexicon dates to the 70s. :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Would you happen to have the literature on that?

Are they still part of Lamnidae?

Guest bmorefossil
Would you happen to have the literature on that?

Are they still part of Lamnidae?

yes this is confusing me now, i would like to see as well

Check Elasmo.com for the story

Thanks everyone. I tried to take a pic using my scanner and it didn't turn out very good. I'll try again with the camera. The cutting edge definitely has fine serrations.

Thanks for the update on the tiger shark genus change. I read the article but haven't yet caught on simply because I'm lazy and don't feel like changing all of my labels yet :D . But I guess I need to catch up to the times. That said, I have to make some other changes too because I found out that I have more than one type of thresher shark, and also some H. gigas teeth that I didn't realize that I had. One of them is a lower sympyseal tooth, but only half. Man, I'd like to get a whole one of them!

It seems that each time I pull a box of teeth out and go through them I find something new, kinda like going on a new trip but much much more local, LOL.

Kevin Wilson

Guest bmorefossil
Thanks everyone. I tried to take a pic using my scanner and it didn't turn out very good. I'll try again with the camera. The cutting edge definitely has fine serrations.

and your sure its not just from feeding?

and your sure its not just from feeding?

Absolutely. Dang it, my last set of pics didn't turn out any better. I'll try again tonight. Plus, I've got another report to post with pics (Paleocene site).

Kevin Wilson

OK, finally, I have some better pics. I had to adjust the settings on my camera to get better resolution.

Labial View:

labialview.jpg

Lingual View:

lingualview.jpg

Side View:

sideview.jpg

P. contortus?

Thanks and happy Friday!

Kevin Wilson