Unidentified Miocene Sharks Tooth

Fat Boy

FB - looks GW to me...

Could well be; I'm not seeing P. contortus...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yeah, I have no clue. It was found at Brownies Beach, so that's an odd find for a great white, definitely not where I'd expect to find one. After looking at some pics on the net about P. contortus teeth, there aren't very many pics of parasymphyseal ones either, but the ones that are on there have more characteristics of contortus teeth in general. My first thought when I found it was an upper symphyseal cow shark tooth, but the serrations threw me. Also, not a meg because there isn't a bourlette...

It's one weird tooth!

Kevin Wilson

Guest bmorefossil

it could be gw but then i got to thinking meg. It cant be a meg its different nothing more can be said about that, i would take it to a museum and see what they think

it could be gw but then i got to thinking meg. It cant be a meg its different nothing more can be said about that, i would take it to a museum and see what they think

Another experienced local collector also thought it was a meg, so you could be on to something. I certainly will take it to a museum, great suggestion. The root is weird for a meg, but I guess it could be a posterior tooth. No bourlette though :wacko: Also, for a great white, the serrations seem kind of tiny for them.

The funny thing about finding stuff like this is that at the time I didn't think much of it, but later discovered how weird it was when organizing my collection (pulled it out of one of the old zip lock bags that I dated and hadn't filed the fossils yet). It's kind of cool doing that because it's like going fossil hunting all over again.

Thank you everyone for your input. You all know your stuff, that's why I asked! :cool:

Kevin Wilson