Nice Symphyseal Tooth

Haddy

Great weekend weather finally after 7 rainy weekends! Found some nice teeth in MD. Was happy to find a nice symphyseal Cow shark tooth (my first!). Doesn't the 3rd tooth look a lot like a crow shark tooth?

post-1782-12578088958418_thumb.jpg

post-1782-1257808908613_thumb.jpg

post-1782-12578089361092_thumb.jpg

post-1782-12578089669886_thumb.jpg

post-1782-12578090824841_thumb.jpg

post-1782-12578091139219_thumb.jpg

...Doesn't the 3rd tooth look a lot like a crow shark tooth?

Might be a little Meg...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

a very good day. symphyseal teeth are cool. how big is the other tooth in question? oh, nevermind, saw the other pic with the quarter. i'm not seeing squally...

No, it's more like a mini-meg

a very good day. symphyseal teeth are cool. how big is the other tooth in question? oh, nevermind, saw the other pic with the quarter. i'm not seeing squally...

OK. It's a first for me also then.

I'll attach another photo with a little different angle.

post-1782-1257813255987_thumb.jpg

Edited by Haddy

Looks like a meg to me also. I really like that Symphyseal tooth great finds. B)B)B):)

Edited by worthy 55

It's my bone!!!

No, it's more like a mini-meg

Thanks. BTW, I really like the tooth in your photo. Where is it from?

Edited by Haddy

Nice finds :) I didn't know you came down this way :) (in head wondering where you went :wacko: ) :D

Nice symph tooth!!! I've yet to find one :(

The other tooth is most likely (as everyone has said) a little meg, most likely juvenile and posterior tooth, maybe even younger.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Nice finds :) I didn't know you came down this way :) (in head wondering where you went :wacko: ) :D

Nice symph tooth!!! I've yet to find one :(

The other tooth is most likely (as everyone has said) a little meg, most likely juvenile and posterior tooth, maybe even younger.

Thanks! Yeah, I have visited that area a few times. Love it!

Do you walk around on the beaches, or do you use a boat?

Thanks! Yeah, I have visited that area a few times. Love it!

Do you walk around on the beaches, or do you use a boat?

I would love to take a boat in around the cliffs someday, if that is the area you're talking about. Mainly, I just have been walking places but have kayaked with a friend to a couple of stops along the cliffs.

I would love to take a boat in around the cliffs someday, if that is the area you're talking about. Mainly, I just have been walking places but have kayaked with a friend to a couple of stops along the cliffs.

I thought I'd read that you had a kayak. I've taken one of my kayaks down there a couple of times and enjoyed wandering around. Don't know if I'll do it again this year as weather will likely deteriorate, but would enjoy exploring more next spring / summer if you need a paddling buddy....

I caught the symph in the waves! I'd forgotten my tooth tool (walking stick / seive) so stopped on the way down and bought stuff to build another. I knew I'd be much happier with it; I sure was happy I'd gone to all that trouble when I caught that one!

I thought I'd read that you had a kayak. I've taken one of my kayaks down there a couple of times and enjoyed wandering around. Don't know if I'll do it again this year as weather will likely deteriorate, but would enjoy exploring more next spring / summer if you need a paddling buddy....

I caught the symph in the waves! I'd forgotten my tooth tool (walking stick / seive) so stopped on the way down and bought stuff to build another. I knew I'd be much happier with it; I sure was happy I'd gone to all that trouble when I caught that one!

Well, he was nice enough to let me go with him in his kayak, it wasn't mine :( I think I might try a boat with a motor next time :D , though if you are down this way I wouldn't mind kayaking when it is warmer.

Pm me and tell me, if you'd like, where you have kayaked out from and to and I'll do the same.

We went about 10 miles I think in the thing :wacko: Is there a pain smily in here? That's close enough :gym: :D

Well, he was nice enough to let me go with him in his kayak, it wasn't mine :( I think I might try a boat with a motor next time :D , though if you are down this way I wouldn't mind kayaking when it is warmer.

Pm me and tell me, if you'd like, where you have kayaked out from and to and I'll do the same.

We went about 10 miles I think in the thing :wacko: Is there a pain smily in here? That's close enough :gym: :D

Aah, I have a 2-person sit-on-top that would be great for warm weather -- easy on, easy off. Sunday I used a 13' closed boat with a skirt. I've gone about 10 miles round trip down there with a few hours to hunt, but it's a slender, fast boat while the other one is much wider. Watching the tides is a good thing -- that determines where I'm going as it's simply easier to go with the flow (river kayaker here!). I also have a canoe but haven't tried it down there. Yet.

That's got be about 9/16" right? I saw a similar, 3/4" one go for $350 the other day.

Wow, cool! You're close, it's 5/8".

Someone on this site has a gorgeous one as an avatar, can't remember who, but I want to look at it again now that I have a nice one. I think cow shark teeth generally are really interesting but I don't have any great ones, so it was a thrill to capture this one!

Edited by Haddy

• 3 years later...

Hello, not symphyseal, just commissural posterior for me

A few comments:

First: This is a very old thread, and while it is good to resurrect these from time to time, please know that the OP (original poster) may or may not be active on the forum, anymore.

Second: Can you please explain the meaning of "commissural posterior" ? I do not know what this means, and I think everyone would benefit from an explanation of this term, as you seem to be using it a lot.

Also if you could, please explain the difference between that and symphyseal and why you think it is "commissural posterior" rather than symphyseal.

Thank you, in advance, and regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Great find, on the symphyseal! I collected along the Cliffs for six years without ever finding one, then moved to SC for nearly eight years. The first trip I made when I moved back, I found one (though not quite as nice as yours :)) Congratulations!

-HZJ

Hello and sorry but i think that you're talking about the tooth showed at the beginning of this topic so i would like to understand why do you think that is a symphyseal tooth ? Maybe i'm wrong so i 'd like informations about that.

Cordially

This one is the subject of the topic:

post-423-0-56884700-1375989298_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Tim,

"Commissural" is a term that has been used occasionally in the past but it didn't really catch on with scientists nor collectors. I think I saw it in a collector's guide from the 70's or 80's. It comes from the French (Latin derivation) word "commissure" which has been adopted into English and is translated as "corner of the mouth." It has other definitions too.

Jess

A few comments:

First: This is a very old thread, and while it is good to resurrect these from time to time, please know that the OP (original poster) may or may not be active on the forum, anymore.

Second: Can you please explain the meaning of "commissural posterior" ? I do not know what this means, and I think everyone would benefit from an explanation of this term, as you seem to be using it a lot.

Also if you could, please explain the difference between that and symphyseal and why you think it is "commissural posterior" rather than symphyseal.

Thank you, in advance, and regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim,

"Commissural" is a term that has been used occasionally in the past but it didn't really catch on with scientists nor collectors. I think I saw it in a collector's guide from the 70's or 80's. It comes from the French (Latin derivation) word "commissure" which has been adopted into English and is translated as "corner of the mouth." It has other definitions too.

Jess

Thank you Jess.

I appreciate the language lesson.

I was lost in the confusion - thanks for showing me the light. ;)

Regards,

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

Tim,

Jess

Hello, commissural is not used in America? Just posterior, ok, that's not a problem, let's talk about posterior. I'm not interested in vain controversy, i was here for something else. I think that you could have a good advice about it because you have already seen something like that : Need Help For A Strange Megalodon

Edited by Sélacien34

Hello, commissural is not used in America? Just posterior, ok, that's not a problem, let's talk about posterior. I'm not interested in vain controversy, i was here for something else. I think that you could have a good advice about it because you have already seen something like that : Need Help For A Strange Megalodon

Selacien,

I apologize if my question came across as, or was interpreted as vain controversy. I was just wondering what the term commissural meant. I was unable to find a fitting definition pertaining to shark dentition when I looked it up.

I hope someone can help you with your question.

Regards,

Don't worry Fossildude19, there's no problem, it was not even a problem of terminology, we were not talking about the same thing, in fact, I had simply misunderstood the topic. Sorry again for that. Only the formulation "First, Second" was interpreted, but let's forget that and thank you for encouragement.

Regards