Goblin or something else

sharko69

Found this little tooth this weekend. I’m sure it must be a S. raphiodon but the cusplets come directly out of a broader based blade. Not like the others I usually find. May just be because it is a juvenile?

4B5C6853-8CC8-449F-9038-AFE1CF8E2C05.jpeg

BC87FCBB-44C7-410A-9EFC-E4C30CE2736F.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

• New Members

I think it looks like a sand shark, especially with how narrow and angular it is, as well as the striations. I think the coloring might help pinpoint what type of sand shark. Hope this helps.

5 hours ago, Dirtlark said:

I think it looks like a sand shark, especially with how narrow and angular it is, as well as the striations. I think the coloring might help pinpoint what type of sand shark. Hope this helps.

I think it's a sand shark too - Carcharias sp.  Without size or site info it's hard to say beyond that. 

6 hours ago, Dirtlark said:

@siteseer

I have been under the impression that the striations are a sign that a tooth belongs rather to Mitsukurina than to Carcharias?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Hi,

@sharko69 What means S. in "S. raphiodon" ? Scapanorhinchus ? Please write the full name when you first cite it in a subject. Not everyone knows every shark at every geological level in the world :shakehead:

Coco

• I found this Informative 2

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

39 minutes ago, Coco said:

Hi,

@sharko69 What means S. in "S. raphiodon" ? Scapanorhinchus ? Please write the full name when you first cite it in a subject. Not everyone knows every shark at every geological level in the world :shakehead:

Coco

Yes, sorry. Scapanorynchus raphiodon. The tooth was found in North Texas, Eagle Ford and is just over one cm in length.

:dinothumb:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

On 11/26/2019 at 2:08 AM, Ludwigia said:

@siteseer

I have been under the impression that the striations are a sign that a tooth belongs rather to Mitsukurina than to Carcharias?

Hi Roger,

There are species of Carcharias with lingual striations.  I assumed the tooth is from the late Cretaceous of Texas, and since Mitsukurina is not known earlier than the Middle Eocene, I didn't consider that a possibility.  Even if it were a possibility, I would expect Mitsukurina to have a more slender cusp relative to the height with a different root too.  It is a very elusive genus in the fossil record likely due to a longtime preference for the open ocean and deepwater.

Jess

• I found this Informative 1

41 minutes ago, siteseer said:

Hi Roger,

There are species of Carcharias with lingual striations.  I assumed the tooth is from the late Cretaceous of Texas, and since Mitsukurina is not known earlier than the Middle Eocene, I didn't consider that a possibility.  Even if it were a possibility, I would expect Mitsukurina to have a more slender cusp relative to the height with a different root too.  It is a very elusive genus in the fossil record likely due to a longtime preference for the open ocean and deepwater.

Jess

Thanks for the clarification, Jess.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/