Fossilized Blade Of Grass?

RJB

Ok all you smarty pants. This specimen looks exactly like a big blade of grass? A rather large one too! I dont do the study of things like some of you folks, I just like to dig, find and then prep, but just when did the grasses start on this planet? This specimen is from the Parachute member of the Green River Formation and I remember Jim Tynsky finding a SUPERBLY HIGH QUALITY, ONE OF A KIND, IN PERFECT CONDITION 3 toed horse in the green river formation, (and he still wont show it to me!) But my question is, just when did the grassed show up on this planet and start evolving? Oh, and is this a blade of grass? Thanks to all you smarty pants.

RB, (The Bestest, Greatest, Most superbly grass blade finder that has ever LIVED!!!) HA!

post-171-12578957098852_thumb.jpg

I think the grasses got their start in the late Cretaceous, and took off in the Eocene.

I wonder whether your fossil might not be a part of a palm frond, though?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I think the grasses got their start in the late Cretaceous, and took off in the Eocene.

I wonder whether your fossil might not be a part of a palm frond, though?

Mr. Auspex dude-a-roo. You seem to have a great handle on the intire fossil geology thing! But, is there any way to figure out if this specimen is a piece of 'palm frond', or a peice of early grass? Ive seen many palms, but never looked that closely. It still seems to be a blade of grass to me? Very fragile looking, very thin plant material. and I certainly dont know my palms at all, sad to say.

RB

Dunno :unsure:

Could also be sedge, or rush; leaves without nodes or joints might be impossible to ID with any certainty.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!