What Bugs Me!

FossilForKids

Well I have a new microscope and I've been polishing rough amber like it's going out of style. Unfortunately still using old camera but I have a new eye piece camera on the way.

Enjoy

FFK

post-1292-12579208172549_thumb.jpg

post-1292-12579208320415_thumb.jpg

post-1292-12579209015445_thumb.jpg

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

Ohmigosh, those pics are not only scientifically valuable, they are beautiful! The insects are almost spiritual looking:)

Be blessed!

Gerard

Very cool pics FFK, looks like your new scope is working good. :)

Thanks FR! The great news is my new eye piece camera arrived today so in the next few days we'll see how those pics turn out.

FFK

Just wondering if you'd ever sell some of your amber John? Were you ever thinking of making a website?

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Just wondering if you'd ever sell some of your amber John? Were you ever thinking of making a website?

I am going to make an Amber section to my fossil for kids website. If you would like a piece or to of raw amber or some with insect inclusions I'll gladly give you some in a month or two after I have worked on some more pieces. I'm still in the infancy of my "amber love" but it is growing exponentially! As I get better at polishing I'll post more and more photos. So far my best photos "white bug" (in my Gallery) and the red ant are from polished pieces I have bought.

John

Nice stuff John!

Thanks Sean (or Shaun) I'm horrible with spelling :P

So many ants...so little picnics... :(

Nice shots :D

The piece that the red ant photo came from had over 2 dozen female worker ants in it :o

I am going to make an Amber section to my fossil for kids website. If you would like a piece or to of raw amber or some with insect inclusions I'll gladly give you some in a month or two after I have worked on some more pieces. I'm still in the infancy of my "amber love" but it is growing exponentially! As I get better at polishing I'll post more and more photos. So far my best photos "white bug" (in my Gallery) and the red ant are from polished pieces I have bought.

John

What are you doing to polish your amber John? Wet or dry, different grits, on the wheel or by hand? :blink:

What are you doing to polish your amber John? Wet or dry, different grits, on the wheel or by hand? :blink:

Hi Ro!

The amber I get is definitely rough and does require alot of work. For now I either start with wet/dry sand paper by hand starting at either 120 or 400 grit, then 600 then 1500. I sometimes use a dremel grinder for the hard crust and two different dremel buffing wheels to finish it. I will definitely be moving up to Grinding/sanding and polishing wheels very shortly. I'll try to take some process photos this weekend. It's a blast and exciting especially since there's no guarantee that there will be insects. I use mainly Dominican and Mexican amber because I don't fully trust the purity and authenticity of baltic amber even though the bugs on my profile gallery are from old pure baltic amber. I just bought a kilo of German amber that I'm excited about.

John

I am going to make an Amber section to my fossil for kids website. If you would like a piece or to of raw amber or some with insect inclusions I'll gladly give you some in a month or two after I have worked on some more pieces....

John

Awesome :D Yes, I'd love some. :wub: Give me a pm when the time is right. You have a lot of fun in the meantime! :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.