Fotm For November

Phoenixflood

Hi everyone :D

You will have till the 7th of December to choose your best find from November. I encourage everyone partipating to include the name of your find, the date it was discovered, and perhaps a narrative about your discovery. This will help us greatly in choosing fossils for the poll that will come after the 7th of December. We will only include what you provide.

You may only post ONE fossil per person. If you post more than one we will not consider either. It must have been found in NOVEMBER for it to be eligable!

With that said let's see some great entries :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Whoohoo! I get to go first.

Below Is pictured a Nautiloid called Aturia Angustata from the Lincoln creek formation I collected early this month. This was in a much larger concretion along with 4 others I have yet to expose. Unfortunatly it was crushed before it was preserved and the living chamber is mostly gone except for a fragment just above the Aturia I found while prepping. Aproxamately 32 million years old.

Aturiaa.jpg

Ok...been unable to hunrt much this month, but to throw something in here is a pathological Squalicorax from Greene Co. East NC.

post-1313-12586686060934_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

I found this symphyseal Cow shark tooth on 11/8/09 at Calvert Cliffs, MD. It was dancing in the waves and I "caught" it with a fine-meshed kitchen strainer. It's 5/8".

post-1782-12587277120425_thumb.jpg

post-1782-12587278285437_thumb.jpg

post-1782-12587279379957_thumb.jpg

Edited by Haddy

Whoohoo! I get to go first.

Below Is pictured a Nautiloid called Aturia Angustata from the Lincoln creek formation I collected early this month. This was in a much larger concretion along with 4 others I have yet to expose. Unfortunatly it was crushed before it was preserved and the living chamber is mostly gone except for a fragment just above the Aturia I found while prepping. Aproxamately 32 million years old.

Aturiaa.jpg

Oooh, very nice, micro, lots of colour there! A showy piece! :wub:

OK, here she is: a beautiful partial lower jaw of a "river" dolphin, Parapontoporia cf. wilsoni. From the Mio-Pliocene Purisima Formation of Central California. I actually collected this over the summer, but finished preparing it a couple weeks ago. This is my first shot at FOTM. Bobby

post-225-12587868981762_thumb.jpg

post-225-12587869138315_thumb.jpg

post-225-12587869197311_thumb.jpg

post-225-12587869262738_thumb.jpg

I guess I have to add Demon-Dragon-Bug :devil: . He was polished and found this month.

post-1292-12588293714531_thumb.jpg

DDB.bmp

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

I guess I have to add Demon-Dragon-Bug :devil: . He was polished and found this month.

Let's not forget thepicture that gave hin his name!

post-1292-12588309658011_thumb.jpg

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

OK, here she is: a beautiful partial lower jaw of a "river" dolphin, Parapontoporia cf. wilsoni. From the Mio-Pliocene Purisima Formation of Central California. I actually collected this over the summer, but finished preparing it a couple weeks ago. This is my first shot at FOTM. Bobby

Bobby,

Wow, a dolphin jaw with teeth still in it. That's a great find.

I've only been out 2 days this month - could be tough for me to compete this time.....

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

It looks a really tough months competition already, Im not sure if I will get anything else completed as its cooling off and not condusive to having the dexterity in your hands required whilst working for doing these...I must get some heating sorted... so i'd better enter this Nautilus...

Nautilus Obesum... Lyme Regis... Dorset....Sinemurian Lower Jurassic...

Before & after photos...

post-1630-12589734005777_thumb.jpg post-1630-12589734263531_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Hey, Mr. Dactyll. Could you please post a bigger picture (in the appropriate forum) of that rock in the lower right corner of the BEFORE picture? It looks rather interesting with all of the clams and ammonite impressions and such. Thanks.

MikeD.... Check out the 'plesiosaur Predation' thread, theres a close up on there....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

micropterus101 :

This is absolutely beautiful.

Gino~

May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live :)

edit part: Things like this make (me) realize that mankind has placed a false value on so many objects. This fossil is a million times more beautiful than any diamond, or piece of gold, that anyone has ever found. Once a living thing, and still glowing like a rainbow, onlky to be later found by another...living thing that has the good mind to appreciate. I'd take this over a 20 carat diamond any day of the week :)

Gino~

Heres my Entry. I figured we could make this a tooth month.

Ptychodus polygyrus. One of the larger Ptychodus I have found. I found in deep in a certain rock pile. I split the rock, and there she was :o Found earlier this month.

It got the nickname, Muffin top...

Oh, the black thing in the matrix just above the tooth is carbonized wood.

Enjoy

post-221-12597285466398_thumb.jpg

post-221-12597286396033_thumb.jpg

post-221-12597287406595_thumb.jpg

I'm new here, and would appreciate help on how exactly to cast a vote? lol, may be easy, but so much to look at on new website, that I haven't quite found out how to do this yet. TY

Gino~

I'm new here, and would appreciate help on how exactly to cast a vote? lol, may be easy, but so much to look at on new website, that I haven't quite found out how to do this yet. TY

In a few days they will start a new thread for FOTM for November, and thats where you cast a vote. It will have a place where you can cast a vote.

Oh, the black thing in the matrix just above the tooth is carbonized wood.

That's a very interesting combination, Justin. Nice find.

"I'm new here, and would appreciate help on how exactly to cast a vote? lol, may be easy, but so much to look at on new website, that I haven't quite found out how to do this yet. TY"

just go look at the member of the month poll going on now. voting is easy. deciding is the issue.

On or about the 7th, the candidates will be selected, and a "poll" will be posted (like the Member of the Month poll running now).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Took some better Pics of the Aturia as requested.

Here they be.

color.jpg

Ooh, the closer you get, the better it looks! :wub: