A Little Of This & A Little Of That

Louie

This is the collection that began with one of my son's megs I bought him for his birthday 8 months ago...then the fever set in :D My other son is turning 10 tomorrow & can't wait to see what he'll get (I bet it's something really old too)! We're going on our 1st real fossil hunt tomorrow as well at the Ceasar Creek Park shale outcropping. Should be fun B)

post-2306-12582218964436_thumb.jpg

post-2306-12582219111597_thumb.jpg

post-2306-1258221922106_thumb.jpg

post-2306-12582219381767_thumb.jpg

post-2306-12582219534982_thumb.jpg

post-2306-1258221970307_thumb.jpg

post-2306-12582219861523_thumb.jpg

gosh! i wish i got a meg for my birthday :(

have fun hunting tomorrow and i can't wait to see what your son gets for his birthday!

-Emily

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~ E. B. White

Wow! I bet your sons dreams are coming true, with you taking them fossily hunting! What a most excellent family hobby:) May you have great luck today, and happy birthday to your son.

---Gerard

Love the Dalmities pair. Looks like a good start on that collection. :D

Be true to the reality you create.

sounds really good, louie. a dad and the kids all getting hooked on a cool hobby is what this place is about. welcome to the forum.

Thanks everyone! I'll update this thread tomorrow the new b-day present & hunt results. Even though they're only 8 & 10, the boys love this website too! I'm surprised how much they love fossils. Even my 6 yr. old daughter put "fossil" on her Christmas wish list!!! Fossils really are cool! It's also turned out to be very educational for all of us ;)

Frank, is that what those are? I never did get an ID on those trilos. All I know is that they're from NY. Bought it from the Donald estate sale.

Gerard & Emily, he can barely take it...he been dying for one since his brother got one mos. ago!! I'll let him read this tomorrow & I'm sure he'll appreciate the birthday wishes!

That is a great start to your collection and now just to let you know it will never end your hooked.Have a great time on your hunt and let us see what you guys find. B)B)B):)

It's my bone!!!

This is the birthday boy. For my birthday my dad gave me a Trilo and a 5 3/8 meg! When i went to Caesar Creek i found a Horn Coral! It was fun ! :D

From Michael

post-2306-12583348301043_thumb.jpg

post-2306-12583348825099_thumb.jpg

post-2306-12583348932748_thumb.jpg

post-2306-12583349069796_thumb.jpg

Happy birthday, Michael, and congratulations on your wonderful gifts and your cool find! :D

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Happy Birthday Michael! Really nice collection you have going there. As it turns out I was also 10 when I found my first fossil in California---now 40+ years ago. I still have that little clam and will always cherish finding it! I bet you'll remember the coral you found in the very same way.

Welcome to you and your Dad and family! You all have fun collecting--its a great hobby! Regards, Chris

Love the Dalmities pair. Looks like a good start on that collection. :D

I agree :) I thought those trilos looked familiar. :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Nothin better than the whole family gettin involved in a great hobbie. I got my 3 sons involved with fossiling when they were 5, 6 and 8 years old. Two have moved out but bring up the subject of fossil hunting again sometime. Happy B-Day Michael. And remember, Christmas is almost here too! Yiiiiipppeeeeee!!!

RB

Michael......Happy Birthday and 'cool collection'..... I love the first meg and the leaf, and your birthday presents are just WOW *\0/* what a day.... the second Meg's a wonderful colour....

Well done the rest of the family for finding this brilliant passtime and encoraging the children....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

My 8 yr. old son Edward wants to add his 2 cents too B)

Here we go:

I got a meg for my birthday. I wus realy surprized and it wus realy cool. Yesterday I went fossil hunting and they didn,t let us bring our hammers. :angry: I found a lot of horncoral. It wus fun. :D

Edward

post-2306-12584183409928_thumb.jpg

post-2306-12584183901319_thumb.jpg

Hello Edward!

In the picture, it looks like you are going to karate-chop that rock! Maybe they should allow hammers :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

who didn't let you bring your hammer, edward?! tell them tracer said that's un-american!! i sleep with my rockhammer and my baseball glove. man's gotta have his favorite toys. fossils rock!

who didn't let you bring your hammer, edward?! tell them tracer said that's un-american!! i sleep with my rockhammer and my baseball glove. man's gotta have his favorite toys. fossils rock!

The park didn,t alloed any tools. :angry:

The park didn,t alloed any tools. :angry:

ok, well, parks have rules. gotta go find some other good places that don't! hammering's half the fun, as long as you wear goggles and don't go to whack something when someone else is reaching for it.

Awesome finds and Happy birthday. You know all the super cool people have there birthdays in November.:D

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

...hammering's half the fun, as long as you...don't go to whack something when someone else is reaching for it.

I thought that was allowed under Texas rules... :unsure:

I thought that was allowed under Texas rules... :unsure:

well, all i can tell you is that the reaction is all out of proportion to the initial whacking. hard to understand...

Love the Dalmities pair.

Can you do me a favor and elaborate a little for me? I'm trying to ID those trilos and I haven't had any luck yet searching the word "Dalmities". Granted, I still don't have my 1st Trilobite book yet :blush:

Can you do me a favor and elaborate a little for me? I'm trying to ID those trilos and I haven't had any luck yet searching the word "Dalmities". Granted, I still don't have my 1st Trilobite book yet :blush:

I think it's spelled Dalmanites. Here's a site

Happy Birthday! You've got a great collection started.

Edited by matt cable

Thanks everyone! I'll update this thread tomorrow the new b-day present & hunt results. Even though they're only 8 & 10, the boys love this website too! I'm surprised how much they love fossils. Even my 6 yr. old daughter put "fossil" on her Christmas wish list!!! Fossils really are cool! It's also turned out to be very educational for all of us ;)

Frank, is that what those are? I never did get an ID on those trilos. All I know is that they're from NY. Bought it from the Donald estate sale.

Gerard & Emily, he can barely take it...he been dying for one since his brother got one mos. ago!! I'll let him read this tomorrow & I'm sure he'll appreciate the birthday wishes!

Here's a photo of mine...

post-1313-12584713513772_thumb.jpg

Dalmanites Limulurus - Rochester Shale Middleport, NY ( 430 myo-Silurian)

Ed to add: I really need to start posting with my glasses on... :blush:

Edited by Frank Menser

Be true to the reality you create.