The Galaxy Neuropterids

docdutronc

I did some trading with collectors , Dave for USA and Steve for the United Kingdom , Spain , here are a few leaves of ferns Neuropteris to compare

post-967-12582887558222_thumb.jpg

post-967-12582888113174_thumb.jpg

post-967-12582888493523_thumb.jpg

post-967-12582888967221_thumb.jpg

post-967-1258288920322_thumb.jpg

post-967-12582889499109_thumb.jpg

Bruno.... I love the variation of preservation on these specimens...

What deposit?

1- is that your french material?

2- I have seen some German material like this..westphalian (piesberg)

3- is Westphalian .... Uk lol

4- (i'll change this to northern france, and hope no body notices)

5- StClair pensylvanian

6- Spanish?

7- French again ...

8- Spanish?

Thats all i know for now I think...Guessing

Edited by Terry Dactyll

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I have very little familairity with world wide material, but here goes:

1. France

2. Germany or Poland

3. UK

4. St. Clair

5. St. Clair

6. Poland

7. Spain

8. Spain

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Thats me paying for a resit..... glad I got the Uk one right lol....

This main axis of fern species belongs to the Neuropterids, the orientation shows that pinnae were attached in this order, the rachis and axis are called Aulacopteris and foliage Neuropteris......these rachis do not wear hairs and spines, they are striated longitudinally ....

post-967-12585759950237_thumb.jpg

post-967-12585761019384_thumb.jpg

Edited by docdutronc

Another great intuitive interpretation, Bruno. Had I found that I would have noted both the branch and leaves but never made the connection.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Bruno, nice variety. I have to admit I failed the test!

I now have one for you. Unfortunately, I dont have any provenance on this concretion so I can't provide the answer. It came unidentified from a collection I acquired--although it was mentioned that it may be from somewhere in the western U.S. since the collector did collecting there ? not Mazon Creek. Any thougths? Regards, Chris

post-1240-12588448471978_thumb.jpg

post-1240-12588448943037_thumb.jpg

post-1240-12588450080945_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Bruno, nice variety. I have to admit I failed the test!

I now have one for you. Unfortunately, I dont have any provenance on this concretion so I can't provide the answer. It came unidentified from a collection I acquired--although it was mentioned that it may be from somewhere in the western U.S. since the collector did collecting there ? not Mazon Creek. Any thougths? Regards, Chris

post-1240-12588448471978_thumb.jpg

post-1240-12588448943037_thumb.jpg

post-1240-12588450080945_thumb.jpg

Hi chris

fossilization in nodule or concretion makes me think of the material found in the Mazon Creek aera, but without certitutes to the location by cons believe I recognize a piece of Neuropteris and a fragment of pecoteris

bruno

Chris.... I like it, i hadnt noticed the nodule previously....Looking closely at the photo, it appears the tip of the big leaf could very well be in there and would become visible with an educated 'tap' with a tiny chisel...Ive used a small dremmel type grinding disc before now to create the 'correct surface angle' in preparation for such a 'educated tap' in the past for the chisel to 'purchase onto' and it has worked on carb material.... it might be worth looking under a microscope at it first to see if there is a visible seperation layer or gap.... If not then i would leave it alone.... Its beautiful....

Bruno, thanks for looking and your feedback. Yep, I wish I had some details...unfortunately provenance information gets lost all too often as has happened with this specimen.

Terry Dactyll, I do believe that tip is there and I surely want to see it. However, my expertise ain't up to the level yet to make it appear. My earlier practice on some other Mazon Creek nodules resulted in a few choice utterations that I'm sure my neighbors didn't fully appreciate. Freezing/thawing had no effect on this one recently but that chisel blow sure did the trick...Pecopterid pieces every where...here's what I found of the specimen..post-1240-1259991668083_thumb.jpg

Next time I need to turn up the radio much louder to drown out my "practicing comments". Successful removal of this minor overburden will have to wait for the time being! Regards, Chris

Chris..... its all about weakening the rock in a way that it allows the chunk to be guided where it breaks... its not rocket science but confidence I suppose so yes, leave it be until you feel upto it....

Steve, thanks for the encouragement! I definitely have the knack for weaking the specimens :blush: ---its the latter part about guiding where it breaks that shows how skilled you and the others are in fossil prep! I am truly in awe at what you all can do! Thanks! Chris