Week Of Diving

megateeth

First two days

post-1309-12583352527109_thumb.jpgpost-1309-12583352604836_thumb.jpgpost-1309-12583352669578_thumb.jpgpost-1309-12583352770136_thumb.jpg

11/06/09 - The visibility was way up (6-8 in.) and the current was running slow. I found most of these during the first dive right on the surface near where I dove late last week. By the second dive I had cleaned out the small bed of teeth. The largest in the first photo and the largest in the 3rd photo were 5-7/8" so both were very large. It was a good day.

post-1309-12583352861359_thumb.jpgpost-1309-12583352948565_thumb.jpgpost-1309-12583353150796_thumb.jpg

11/07/09 - Another good day with great vis. I found quite a few teeth and many were very nice.

post-1309-12583353242285_thumb.jpgpost-1309-12583353402015_thumb.jpg

I found these teeth in a cooler that I take out diving sometimes. I must have put them in there after a dive recently. I am not sure when I found them, but a couple are pretty nice.

post-1309-12583356026511_thumb.jpgpost-1309-12583356122118_thumb.jpgpost-1309-12583356191257_thumb.jpgpost-1309-12583356267443_thumb.jpg

11/08/09 - I tried a different spot in the river I am in. The current was moderate and the vis was good so I let the current drag me down the river. During the first dive I hit a spot with some bones. I found some pretty nice meg teeth and a partial mammoth tooth. The nicest tooth is 4-3/4".

post-1309-12583356349935_thumb.jpgpost-1309-12583356545465_thumb.jpgpost-1309-12583356654938_thumb.jpg

11/11/09 -The current was pretty strong, but the vis was pretty good. I tried the spot I found the Mammoth partial tooth in yesterday. The upper tooth in the first photo is very nice and just over 5". I also found a sloth tooth. It was only my second one ever so it was a good day.

post-1309-12583356740814_thumb.jpgpost-1309-12583356817822_thumb.jpg

11/13/09 - Not a very good day. The finds were not the problem.

I got to the boat and one of the tanks I had was empty. That meant I could only do one dive. Then the boat would not start. We had to drive to a boat shop and get new ends for the cable. We got the boat started finally.

The tides were very strong and the vis was way down. The fun really started when my dive was over. When the tide is strong my boat captian drops me off where I want to dive and moves the boat down river 50-100 yards. That way when I come up I can usually get back to the boat. If not he can drop the anchor line and come get me. This time I came up in front of but also to the side of the boat and was drifting quickly. I could not get to the boat but the boat had no power so he could not get the boat started. He untied the anchor line so the boat would drift along with me and I could swim to it. It took me about 15 min. to get to the boat. By that time the wind had pushed the boat onto the bank. The tide was going out so we were going to be on dry land in a short time. We started working the battery cable, and got the boat started. Then the anchor was stuck on an old underwater cable so we could not get the anchor up. We finally got the anchor to the boat and had to release the cable with pliers. I was so tired from the swim and pulling the anchor up that I could not have done another dive.

Still we got back OK, we had the parts to fix the boat and I found two teeth in the dark so it was not all bad. The largest tooth is over 5.5" but it does not have much enamel.

Edited by megateeth

Now there's a tale of unintended adventure!

I found myself breathing hard by the end...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Some nice teeth there. :)

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

Really great stuff again Megateeth. I can't understand why people are not fossil hunting all over the Georgia coast like they do in SC and FL. You are proof that we also have great fossils!

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Sounds like Friday the 13th was bad for ya! Happened to be my B-day :).

Great finds!

Funny thing it was my b-day also. I was born of Fri 11/13. People kept joking that I should not go out but I was not going to let a number stop me.

Now there's a tale of unintended adventure!

I found myself breathing hard by the end...

My arms and legs were sore the rest of the day.

Edited by megateeth

Wow great finds! :)

What type of suit (wet or dry)are you using to dive for those and what is the normal temp down there?

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

My arms and legs were sore the rest of the day.

Uhh-huh...what you really mean is that the "new" load of sand at the "volleyball court" wasn't that good this time, and you were chased by the groundskeeper when you strained your arms carrying all those teeth..........

Great finds, Bill. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I wimp out at around 70 degrees and switch to a drysuit. It is down to 65 now and by Jan will be at 45-50. I stay down around 1.5 hrs per dive. I still do 2 dives but once it gets to 60 I will just do one and come home.

Wow great finds! :)

What type of suit (wet or dry)are you using to dive for those and what is the normal temp down there?

It seems like they fossil dive a lot in central GA. There are a few divers here too. Most try to be quiet about it.

Really great stuff again Megateeth. I can't understand why people are not fossil hunting all over the Georgia coast like they do in SC and FL. You are proof that we also have great fossils!

Do you still get excited when you find the teeth anymore? :);)

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

It's cool to read about your dives. It gives us a glimpse of what it's like down there in the dark waters. Very interesting!!!

Megateeth,

Just out of curiosity, what is your largest tooth to date?...largest great white? I have a lot of friends who dive in the lowcountry and a couple who dive in Georgia, but very few of them have days comparible to yours! Those are some awesome teeth - Im looking foward to future posts.

CBK

Hey Friday the 13th has always been a good luck day for me....looks like it was a great day for you. Great finds!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Do you still get excited when you find the teeth anymore? :);)

Very Excited. On days that I can not dive I keep thinking about getting back out.

Megateeth,

Just out of curiosity, what is your largest tooth to date?...largest great white? I have a lot of friends who dive in the lowcountry and a couple who dive in Georgia, but very few of them have days comparible to yours! Those are some awesome teeth - Im looking foward to future posts.

CBK

They probably do have a lot of days like mine they just do not tell people about it.

My largest is 6.94" I have it here:

http://www.megateeth.com/sharkteeth.php

Hey Friday the 13th has always been a good luck day for me....looks like it was a great day for you. Great finds!

Well I survived, so that's something.

Edited by megateeth