Show us your fossils through a macro lens.

Bobby Rico

Thanks! Tiny fossils (not necessarily foraminifera as people usually think) can contain a whole new world, I advise everybody to look for them (examine concretions with magnifying glass, etc)

• I found this Informative 2

5 hours ago, RuMert said:

Thanks! Tiny fossils (not necesserily foraminifera as people usually think) can contain a whole new world, I advise everybody to look for them (examine concretions with magnifying glass, etc)

Well said that is the essence of this thread,  experiencing what maybe a new world in closeup .  :SlapHands:

When I was a little lad, one birthday my sister gave me this book. I loved the art work as a kid even today I think it is beautiful.   I have seen quite a bit of Zdenek Burian fantastic art work in the Czech Republic’s  Prague. Here is a few of the pages showIng some  Permian creatures . 

280AE6F4-2573-4F51-AE5C-082E619B5A4C.jpeg

295BA777-F7AC-4A5F-AD7C-F3073AAEF73F.jpeg

BF968D3A-7FD4-4150-81C6-B4A449B68C50.jpeg

now some more of my micro matrix of the Permian.

A13E3C58-544D-4F72-8BED-53AABD3B366C.jpeg

C46B0192-C714-47E3-A24A-BA929E589F31.jpeg

0247FEB0-8588-4E3A-A0E3-23DBB2C26BB7.jpeg

4FC3EAE4-E14B-459A-8CD9-2EDB404B334F.jpeg
now can you see clear mineralised  bone .

E54183F3-DAE8-4880-9D9F-5D6226CAFCA3.jpeg

C6CA6976-DAE9-4F81-AE39-907DB76FC0AF.jpeg

880522E4-DD64-4C39-B3C1-AD4698059880.jpeg

239BC0A9-C5AE-4FE6-B08A-7C3E72308978.jpeg

342ED1FF-B2FD-40D8-B27A-D3F85D863C10.jpeg

D8E1AFEE-200E-45BE-8F1C-0FF2FA92AC4A.jpeg

clear bone

943BC153-9F06-48B2-974C-D733383DA7BE.jpeg

• I found this Informative 9

Tiny piece of Brachiopod pieces. 2 cm x 1.5 cm or 5/8th x 3/4 inch. impressed with the condition  of I  believe a piece of mucrosprifer. which I see usually dark gray. Wednesday evening and too many Mosquitoes. S. W. Michigan dig. 

20200606_093140b.jpg

20200606_093213b.jpg

I wrote, I  believe a piece of mucrosprifer at the bottom of the first image. I looked at it with the microscope and it is  Fenestella 

P1010118.jpg

P1010119.jpg

P1010120.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Some micro matrix form White River Formation , Oligocene Scenic , South Dakota. mammal teeth, bone and huckleberry seeds.

The label says “Ant Hill Finds“  if I remember rightly it is a good place to look for small fossil like mammal or dinosaur teeth . You may get a couple of painful hits off the resident but no pain no gain.

How cool are the huckleberry seeds I can’t imagine a more American  Wild West sounding fossil than his. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

B16F3201-7FCC-43A6-802C-4E7D75BB1DCA.jpeg

88DE6331-A407-41D1-A062-E8234C51FBF2.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

47 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Some micro matrix form White River Formation , Oligocene Scenic , South Dakota. mammal teeth, bone and huckleberry seeds.

The label says “Ant Hill Finds“  if I remember rightly it is a good place to look for small fossil like mammal or dinosaur teeth . You may get a couple of painful hits off the resident .  

How cool are the huckleberry seeds I can’t imagine a more American Wild West sounding fossil than his.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I have to admit, these outstanding photos and all the others are really intriguing me. A collection of micro fossils will certainly take up less room than Hadrosaur bones. I live on the East Coast of Florida and are thus surrounded by beaches. Are micro fossils found in beach sand or are they beat to nothing by wave action?

Tom

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

13 minutes ago, TOM BUCKLEY said:

have to admit, these outstanding photos and all the others are really intriguing me. A collection of micro fossils will certainly take up less room than Hadrosaur bones. I live on the East Coast of Florida and are thus surrounded by beaches. Are micro fossils found in beach sand or are they beat to nothing by wave action?

Tom

Thank you .I think Micro  fossil can found at lots of formations like Shark Tooth Hill, Peace River, Hell Creek, Rattlesnake Creek and many more.  You could go to the members sales part of the forum and ask if anyone has some micro matrix for sale.

cheers Bobby 

As with yesterday posts these are all from @Nimravis .first up is 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

My favourite just look at this little Bobby Dazzler

image.jpeg

It is not everyday you get to photograph some prehistoric.....

Cheers Ralph:D

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

BB97151D-E34E-4E77-AAC1-3DB431560B3E.jpeg

E138B1F6-ADB4-4B4F-AD86-AE4D5846930F.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

22 minutes ago, RuMert said:

Impressive fotos with nice resolution/definition

Thanks just a camera phone and very cheep clip on macro lens. The trick is good light. 

• I found this Informative 1

6 minutes ago, RuMert said:

Pretty much the same: an old phone and a 10x20x lens I hold in hand.  Others do go in depths as below

Looks like a good set up.  Mrs R a few years ago got me a macro lens for Easter. Holding the phone still is the tricky bit. Thanks for adding to my thread. 

Right now, I take mine using an iPhone through the microscope lens. It's difficult to keep it steady, but it seems to outperform the formal Nikon DSLR attachment I have.

Speaking of which, I have quite a few recent ones.

Late Pennsylvanian Trilobite Pygidium (Pine Creek Limestone, Glenshaw Formation, Conemaugh Group). Could be one of two genus, not sure exact which yet.

wide-trilobite-tail-scaled.jpg

Shansiella carbonaria detail of aperture edge showing layers of fossil shell material.

shansiella-carbonaria-shell-edge-scaled.

And my absolute favorite, the tiny clam. Likely Paleoneilo. 3mm long.

8C845A95-1489-4E39-BC0B-DDF036180115-sca

BC4AE2AC-10FB-46D6-8642-93C000E24478.jpe

• I found this Informative 5

Fossils of Parks Township - ResearchCatalog | How-to Make High-Contrast Photos

1 hour ago, cngodles said:

Right now, I take mine using an iPhone through the microscope lens. It's difficult to keep it steady, but it seems to outperform the formal Nikon DSLR attachment I have.

That works great thank you.   :thumbsu:

I been amazed by this photo . The shark tooth must only 3mm at most. 

CF40AF51-33C2-4531-9E75-1D1109A0DFC5.jpeg

HI! I've been having so much fun at looking at all your stunning photos!  And I also got plenty of good advice. Thank you. I'd like to make a contribution in return. Here are some pics of Pentacrinus neocomiensis  Desor  (Lower Cretaceous), which are part of the peduncle of sea lilies. We call them "Little stars" They are very small and I've tried  to get a decent pic of a single specimen by using different devices and strategies and the most effective has been using my old OPTIKA binocular at 40X, focus and then take a picture through the ocular directly with my even older Nikon Coolpix 775. Both of them  deserve a good retirement but they have to keep going as I can't find a replacement that works the same with tiny pieces (for a small budget, I mean) :shakehead:

DSCN9105.thumb.JPG.7da62fbf51e88eed60e75e598b2b69e2.JPG

COOLPIX A900 (blurred)

5ee66da800678_A9001(Large).thumb.jpg.c634a2ba8aaf8406b8addf0007e04d69.jpg

Pierrette

1 hour ago, pierrette said:

HI! I've been having so much fun at looking at all your stunning photos!  And I also got plenty of good advice. Thank you. I'd like to make a contribution in return. Here are some pics of Pentacrinus neocomiensis  Desor  (Lower Cretaceous), which are part of the peduncle of sea lilies. We call them "Little stars" They are very small and I've tried  to get a decent pic of a single specimen by using different devices and strategies and the most effective has been using my old OPTIKA binocular at 40X, focus and then take a picture through the ocular directly with my even older Nikon Coolpix 775. Both of them  deserve a good retirement but they have to keep going as I can't find a replacement that works the same with tiny pieces (for a small budget, I mean) :shakehead:

COOLPIX A900 (blurred)

Amazing!

Tom

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

@Nimravis thanks Ralph I was wondering do you know peltisaurus looks like? I can’t find online but it is interesting.

5 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

@Nimravis thanks Ralph I was wondering do you know peltisaurus looks like? I can’t find online but it is interesting.

I just looked at my post and I noticed I did another typo, it should be Peltosaurus. I do not have a pic, but I will check at home, it was a lizard, maybe @jpc has one.

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:
On 6/13/2020 at 10:10 PM, Nimravis said:

0034C170-486C-40A6-B54C-B814374EF042.thumb.jpeg.bef7dc112500a74b70a7b25ed0b13579.jpeg

These very bumpy scutes are Helodermoides, not Peltosaurus.  I did a google image search on them both, and Peltosaurus is out there if spelled with an O     : )

29 minutes ago, jpc said:

These very bumpy scutes are Helodermoides, not Peltosaurus.  I did a google image search on them both, and Peltosaurus is out there if spelled with an O     : )

Thank you very much