Fla Coral I.D. Please

dalmayshun

In Cape Coral several roads are being worked on with new sewer lines so the pleistocene shells lying near the surface are often exposed in their dirt piles. Yesterday I decided to walk along one of the roads and check the loose shells for fossils. I found the normal abundant things for that layer, a couple of cute little pieces to keep, and this coral which I didn't recognize. If someone would identify it for me I would be grateful. It is a nice little addition to me collection of neat looking corals from the southwest Florida area. 

20200118_100145-picsay.jpg

20200118_100433-picsay.jpg

Rugosa coral of some kind. Nice photos by the way. Would love to have a beauty like that. (I've only got red agatized Rugosas, I find the natural color more beautiful)

EDIT: hold on, not rugosa, I saw Pleistocene in your post

Honestly I'm stumped now. I got on macrostrat for florida and briefly looked at the documented coral species but found nothing that looked like yours.:shrug:

15 minutes ago, Zenmaster6 said:

Balanophyllia?

I can not even say if the specimen in question is a colonial or solitary coral...

However, it reminds me somewhat of this Miocene phaceloid coral, which remains un-ID-ed at the moment. Via pm I got the info, that it has gross similarities to Eusmilia.

But yours, @dalmayshun, is surely not the same ;).
Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1

you know, since I surface found it I assumed it had been in the pleistocene layer, however we do have some miocene deposits and areas, I just didn't think it would have come from those...in face, I know the workers only went down about 5 feet...but 5 feet in Florida produces a treasure trove. 

Dichocoenia caloosahatcheensis Weisbord, 1974.  LINK

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

3 hours ago, MikeR said:

Dichocoenia caloosahatcheensis Weisbord, 1974.  LINK

Also ?IMG_2107.thumb.JPEG.af37843872813f0557a641c53082ed83.JPEGIMG_2108.thumb.JPEG.8b9f0a9ab2685988e8e226e6caa74f56.JPEG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

The coral is phaceloid, therefore it cannot be Dichocoenia. Balanophyllia is solitary and belongs to the family Dendrophylliidae. The image is not good enough to give a name.