Trilobite geode

Ezio Bonsignore

Trilobide geode, bought in Morocco from a street vendor. I tend to assume it's real, because nobody would wish to work on a fake for such little money - but I will accept your expert judgement. Size about 6x4cm. If real, what is it?

tri1.JPG

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Yes, this is completely real.  Possibly Flexicalymene ouzregui. 

It isn't really considered a "geode", but rather a fossil bearing nodule. ;) 

• I found this Informative 5

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

"It's an exoskeleton that has been shed during a molt. As opposed to being an encased animal. "

Now that's really intriguing. How can you tell? (Not doubting you, just curious). And, is this fairly common, or trilobite fossils normally are whole animals?

The indications are best seen in the third photo. Notice the gap at the very top. The pygidium (tale) is also slightly tucked into the thorax. These gaps represent the suture lines that the soft creature escapes through.

• I found this Informative 1

I'm kinda glad tribolites went extinct. Part of me feels like they'd be like a horrifying cross between caterpillars and cockroaches

16 minutes ago, KingSepron said:

I'm kinda glad tribolites went extinct. Part of me feels like they'd be like a horrifying cross between caterpillars and cockroaches

To be fair, all crustaceans (and all arthropods for that matter) molt in a similar fashion. So you're not completely off by comparing them to caterpillars and cockroaches, just in a different group of arthropods.

Here's some pretty neato gifs of arthropods molting!

Image result for molting spider gif

Related image

Related image

• I found this Informative 2

15 minutes ago, gieserguy said:

To be fair, all crustaceans (and all arthropods for that matter) molt in a similar fashion. So you're not completely off by comparing them to caterpillars and cockroaches, just in a different group of arthropods.

Here's some pretty neato gifs of arthropods molting!

Image result for molting spider gif

Related image

Related image

I will not sleep tonight, thank you

"The indications are best seen in the third photo. Notice the gap at the very top. The pygidium (tale) is also slightly tucked into the thorax. These gaps represent the suture lines that the soft creature escapes through."

Now that's what I'll call "knowing your trilobite"... Many thanks fir all answers

29 minutes ago, Ezio Bonsignore said:

"knowing your trilobite".

That is part of it. 

Fossils like this are commonly seen for sale in rock shops. I purchased one on my first trip to the Museum of Comparative Zoology in Cambridge, MA some years ago, so it was natural for me to absorb the information. We have many folks around here who are more knowledgeable about them than I.