Port Colborne/wainfleet, Ontario Meet

west99

Hi everybody,

Was thinking of doing some fossil-hunting in the Port Colborne/Wainfleet area of Ontario on Sunday, November 29th, 2009. All members are welcome.

I am new to this, and I can't promise the quarry areas to offer anything spectacular. I have found lots Silurian/Devonian fossils including a variety of corals, Heterophrentis by the boatload, some snail-like fossils as well. I haven't found any Trilobites, that could be a problem of inexperience vs. their existence here.

Again, I can't verify the richness of the deposits, but could be fun anyhow.

Anybody have experience in the St. Catherine's area of Ontario? I have seen the odd snippet on the web of some creek-bed exposures that give up trilobites but I have yet to confirm areas.

Some additional info:

The rock formation at Port Colborne is Detroit River Group (Mid Devonian)... as you go north ie away from the Lake Erie the rock gets older Bois Blanc Formation ( Lower Devonian), Bertie Formation ( Upper Silurian).....Silina Formation (Upper Silurian) by the time you reach Welland. (from Geological Highway Map of Southern Ontario 1979) PL

Edited by west99

Hi everybody,

Was thinking of doing some fossil-hunting in the Port Colborne/Wainfleet area of Ontario on Sunday, November 29th, 2009. All members are welcome.

I am new to this, and I can't promise the quarry areas to offer anything spectacular. I have found lots Silurian/Devonian fossils including a variety of corals, Heterophrentis by the boatload, some snail-like fossils as well. I haven't found any Trilobites, that could be a problem of inexperience vs. their existence here.

Again, I can't verify the richness of the deposits, but could be fun anyhow.

Anybody have experience in the St. Catherine's area of Ontario? I have seen the odd snippet on the web of some creek-bed exposures that give up trilobites but I have yet to confirm areas.

Some additional info:

The rock formation at Port Colborne is Detroit River Group (Mid Devonian)... as you go north ie away from the Lake Erie the rock gets older Bois Blanc Formation ( Lower Devonian), Bertie Formation ( Upper Silurian).....Silina Formation (Upper Silurian) by the time you reach Welland. (from Geological Highway Map of Southern Ontario 1979) PL

A few yrs ago, I know of an abandon quarry near Port Colbourne... according to NPGS newletter... the quarry is now under the control of Parks ..... which means sadly no collecting allowed. Because of this I never really bother with collecting in the Port Colborne area. Make sure the place you are collecting is not a public park. Good luck on your hunt.... If you are after Devonian fossils... Hungry Hollow near Arkona ON is a great place ... you can hear the crunching of fossils under your feet as you walk along the Aux Sauble River!

PL

A few yrs ago, I know of an abandon quarry near Port Colbourne... according to NPGS newletter... the quarry is now under the control of Parks ..... which means sadly no collecting allowed. Because of this I never really bother with collecting in the Port Colborne area. Make sure the place you are collecting is not a public park. Good luck on your hunt.... If you are after Devonian fossils... Hungry Hollow near Arkona ON is a great place ... you can hear the crunching of fossils under your feet as you walk along the Aux Sauble River!

PL

There is one quarry under control of the park, but some more obscure ones that are not. I'm checking with City of Port Colborne to find out what is okay/not okay, more to come...

We'll have to cancel this trip. Upon further investigation, the main quarry is under the juristiction of "Niagara Peniunsula Conservation Authority" and they don't mind surface scrounging, but no digging, etc. THe other two quarries are on private land, and hard to get hold of the owners. Oh well. Live and learn.

We'll have to cancel this trip. Upon further investigation, the main quarry is under the juristiction of "Niagara Peniunsula Conservation Authority" and they don't mind surface scrounging, but no digging, etc. THe other two quarries are on private land, and hard to get hold of the owners. Oh well. Live and learn.

West99: Thanks for making the effort to secure the site... Do not give up.... It is fustrating that Ontario is sitting on some of the riches fossil deposits and access is so limitednest to nill. Most of the green space is either a park / conservation area. Fossil hunting season is winding down as the temp drops below freezing poiunt.... Count me in next year if you are able to secure a hunting site... there are neat Devonian / Silurian fossils to be found in your local area. Best of luck on your hunt! PL