Pecopteris Spines And Hairs

docdutronc

You have some of the best plant specimens Doc!! I love the detail on this one, it's amazing. Thank you for sharing it with us. :wub:

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Bruno..... Very nice specimens, Its nice to know some things hardly change, even in 300 million years ....lol.... I think the way you link the ferns to modern material helps explain it all better, I get lost in the complex technical jargon sometimes, explaining the most simple of things....even though I understand its required....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I agree, It is much easier to understand how an impression in a rock can be interpreted when you see a living example.

Thanks!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

A fundamental of paleontology is comparing the ancient to the modern; this also makes the ancient relevant to our own experience, bringing the fossils to life in our minds.

This way, science (understanding) and art (appreciation) are joined, and both benefit by the connection.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Holy Cow!!! When I see the stuff you post docdutronc, it makes me feel silly when i post the common green river stuff I find.

RB

Holy Cow!!! When I see the stuff you post docdutronc, it makes me feel silly when i post the common green river stuff I find.

RB

RJB you do not feel silly with your stuff of green river, we must compare what is comparable !!!!, for me there are two types of approach to paleobotany, there are people who prefer the aesthetic....., those who have an approach scientific interest...., but when you can have both together is heaven...., it is also valid in palaeontology, I've seen samples on the field that my eyes were not worth the trouble of being pick up and that caused the emotion of the scientic community ... hiihihiihih

thank's Dave ,Steve ,Auspex , barefootgirl and Fig rocks for your comments

Bruno

Definitely a great comparison.

One of the great reasons of Paleontology is to compare the past to the present and I believe your specimens show that correlation nicely.