Just got this house in the country, believe it’s loaded with fossils

JordanPS

Alright wow that was a lot and I apologize! Few of them I think are more agated coral geodes, and it is a piece wrapping the outside, a couple didn’t mean to upload. they are definitely partials if anything at all. It’s all broke up and I’d like to keep exploring if I’m on to something.thanks again for everyone that has taken a look and gave feedback! I need to have someone over because pictures don’t do a whole lot for what I’m seeing in a way.

@Shamalama I’m located in Casey county. That’s what I’ve been thinking the pieces themselves are. Rugose coral. But unfortunately they are all broken due to the excavator digging it up. I didn’t have a clue about any of this until after I started seeing some different pieces and started research. Very interesting stuff 

Lots of fossils here. I'll let the paleozoic experts opine though. Going to be tough to say which one is being referred to I think. 

Plenty more coming once I get done in the grocery! Not including all the agated coral geodes I tossed on the side of creek! 

I'm not seeing all that much in the way of fossils in your stones, maybe 1 out of 20 at the most. A couple of bivalve and crinoid impressions, a few crinoid columnals and a couple of rugose corals in all that you have shown so far. If there are any more fossils in them, then I'm not seeing them. What do you think are "agated coral geodes"?

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

@Ludwigia I don’t claim to know a bunch at all. I’ve put some hours into research the past 4-5 days and have compared one specimen to others on the web and came up with agated coral geode as being a geode that is wrapped with layers of coral and other material due to it rolling down the mountain in my woods and becoming a sediment geode formed of coral. As well as showing them to others that have geode rock shops and one in particular is a lady not far from me that seems to know what she’s talking about.  I’ve circles what I believe is the coral on them as well as what I believe are the different pieces on another. Again I could be wrong for sure. This isn’t my area of expertise. But I do believe I’m onto something hopefully.. I know there isn’t a bunch of imprinted fossils on the specimens but I believe the specimens are the fossils themselves. Maybe I’m wrong. And a lot of the pictures don’t do justice to the pieces as well as the pictures posted by accident showing nothing to see.. hopefully these will help. maybe I don’t have anything at all. But I haven’t seen many “rocks” that don’t have similar traits of a rugose coral in my opinion.. and maybe they don’t even classify as fossils. Idk. But I’ve circled what I believe is the different layers of coral on the geodes and the last picture is of the bigger one I have and what I believe to be coral in the inside of the first geode I retrieved. The picture of the outside of it didn’t load so I’ll post it next and the other I circled what I believe to be pieces of coral bonded together. The one with the hole I think is the tip of the piece of coral that broke off and giving a peek of the inside. I do appreciate all the feedback honestly! 

F9AD4C0C-C67A-4DBB-9975-8BB577AE181A.jpeg

A96B2C6B-C9EB-4052-81E8-1C2425E3D0A7.jpeg

5322F4AB-C62A-4193-9624-11014E973F76.jpeg

4627D8B0-CF0D-4C95-9997-C6587BBF0EFC.jpeg

DEA8CCD6-A024-437F-B487-79C1450E26E0.jpeg

E871208B-0FB6-4831-AA5C-A9C85E833F9C.jpeg

Well, I do see a small geode in the 3rd photo, but I honestly don't see anything that resembles coral any where in these photos but maybe there's some agate there as your lady is suggesting, or at least some chert and quartz. But who knows, maybe I'm wrong. Your best bet to find out for sure would be to find someone with a diamond blade saw and get them to cut a slice through one of those geodes. By the way, geodes don't get wrapped by rolling down a mountain like a snow ball. They are formed in completely different ways: link

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

10 hours ago, JordanPS said:

032C4A32-FC84-4F0E-9928-D5433A61AB64.jpeg

B5211B1F-CC1E-481D-B4E2-F4E39FBF74C3.jpeg

BFEF2FDE-24E8-4538-AC42-41DCC169136E.jpeg

7D2FF9F7-958F-4D2F-863C-9D6CCF57523A.jpeg

DFC94455-AA0F-4E04-97CC-EEF4B7FF7208.jpeg

EB98D7C6-5012-4CA5-B346-1F126B663BD7.jpeg

I'm really curious to see what folks thinks this one is!  You are getting some good ones as you clean them!  Have you tried using vinegar to clean them?  And a paint brush?  That helps a lot - just be careful if they are fragile!

Ramona

16 hours ago, JordanPS said:

3E7B418A-4950-45C9-A2A9-087E02A118C6.jpeg

I've found these before in Mississippian rocks, trace fossil I believe.  Casey County has mostly Mississippian aged rocks and what you've found so far makes me think Borden formation with some Salem limestone pieces too. The Quartz geodes come from the Borden formation as does the trace fossil above.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/