How to best preserve crumbly fossiliferous limestone?

Ramona

My grandson and I found this chunk of fossiliferous limestone in our yard today and I cleaned it with vinegar, but it is very crumbly.  I can tell that it contains mostly fenestellan bryzoa and crinoids, which is what we find most of in our yard.  What is the best way to preserve this fossil to keep it from crumbling?  I am hesitant to clean it anymore due to the fragility of it!

Thanks!
Ramona

IMG_9862-1low.jpg

7 minutes ago, Righteous said:

I’ve been hesitant to even clean a piece I have because of that.  I haven’t even tried to clean it 

We have so much of it that I have taken more chances than I would have it it were a "one time" find. ;-)  Most of the ones I have cleaned to date have gotten to a point where they were pretty solid, but this one is staying very fragile!  I see that you are from Alabama, too!  What part of the state are you in?

Thanks!
Ramona

12 minutes ago, Ramona said:

We have so much of it that I have taken more chances than I would have it it were a "one time" find. ;-)  Most of the ones I have cleaned to date have gotten to a point where they were pretty solid, but this one is staying very fragile!  I see that you are from Alabama, too!  What part of the state are you in?

Thanks!
Ramona

I live on Logan Martin Lake

On 1/30/2020 at 7:16 PM, Righteous said:

I live on Logan Martin Lake

Cool!  What type of fossils do you find there, mostly?  

On 2/1/2020 at 11:12 PM, GallinaPinta said:

You could dip it in resign and then polish it

Thanks! I wonder if a light polyeurethane spray would do the same job?  I'm not familiar with resin, but I can do some research on it.  I appreciate the input!

Impregnate it with Butvar B-76 or one of the the other consolidant plastics.  Don't immerse the block, dribble the consolidant on gradually with a turkey baster.  

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest