Leslie from Austin

• New Members

I found this at Wilson's clay pit in North TX. I didn't know what it was having never seen a conularia, but when I showed it to some of the members of the group I was with (Paleontological Society of Austin), they were amazed by how large it was!

Conularia-compressor.jpg

Conularia-2-compressor.jpg

Edited by Leslie from Austin
Not Grayson County
  • I found this Informative 4

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

That is a really nice piece. Thanks for showing us. 

Any plans to remove the matrix? 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice find. I luck into finding a conularia only a few times a year. It is a favorite of mine, knowing of all things that a jellyfish is it's closest relative (4 sided symmetry). Did it come with a pearl, another neat thing about them? 

Mike

So the story is that myself and another member, Ed, are talking about the things that just don't show up very often at this site. It is incredibly rich with so many Pennsylvanian marine fossils, yet Conularia are scarce there.  Leslie was close by and right about then asks Ed and me to take a look at what she found and suggest some IDs. First thing she shows us is that HONKIN' huge Conularid! We just started laughing...

Fossil Forum members keep an eye on Leslie. She has a great eye and has snagged some seriously nice stuff on our club field trips. Kudos.

• I found this Informative 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • New Members

Thanks everyone! i don't plan on removing any of the matrix, unless someone tells me very specifically how to do it. I'm still new to all this & would really hate to mess up this specimen. The matrix seems fairly hard & quit stuck to the specimen.