Trilobite Trip to New York (and Pennsylvania)

NCPhilip

1 hour ago, Monica said:

I just bought tickets for Viola and I to attend the Dig with the Experts event on Sunday, May 17th - woohoo!!!  So @NCPhilip - we might see you there!  And I plan on baking some brownies once again to share with our forum friends :)

Yay! I am looking forward to meeting some TFF folks! And I love that trilobite Viola found; thanks for sharing! Can't wait to find my first one XD 

-Philip

7 hours ago, Malcolmt said:

We can do it there or you can bring it by the house. I have that cephalopod of yours here.... I put dibs on at least one of those Brownies. I will be there Friday till Monday. For those of you I don't know already make sure you introduce yourself to me..... I will be the old Geezer in most likely the Forum T shirts and Jurassic Park Hat......Never know might even be able to help you out a bit....

Hey Malcolm!

I'm still waiting for the Isotelus stuffies to arrive - once they arrive, I'll be in touch so I can drop one off for your granddaughter Riley - perhaps then I can pick up the orthocone, if that's okay with you :)

Re: cutting Viola's beat-up Toronto-area Flexicalymene - whichever location is best for you will work for us.  If it's too loud and/or messy to do it at your house, then we can just bring it to PD.

As for the brownies - at least one will definitely be set aside for you :dinothumb:

Monica

6 hours ago, NCPhilip said:

Yay! I am looking forward to meeting some TFF folks! And I love that trilobite Viola found; thanks for sharing! Can't wait to find my first one XD 

-Philip

Hi Philip!

There are many much more beautiful trilobites to be collected at Penn Dixie - I'm sure you'll come away from the DWTE weekend very happy. 

Hopefully Viola and I will see you on the Sunday of that weekend - I usually wear a beige bucket hat and my hair is very curly - it's pretty distinctive.  I'll also have Viola with me, and we carry our stuff in small orange Home Depot buckets, so just look for a mother-daughter pair holding bright orange buckets and it'll probably be us!  We'll save a brownie or two for you, too :)

Monica

• I found this Informative 2

On 2/21/2020 at 6:28 PM, Monica said:

Hi Philip!

There are many much more beautiful trilobites to be collected at Penn Dixie - I'm sure you'll come away from the DWTE weekend very happy. 

Hopefully Viola and I will see you on the Sunday of that weekend - I usually wear a beige bucket hat and my hair is very curly - it's pretty distinctive.  I'll also have Viola with me, and we carry our stuff in small orange Home Depot buckets, so just look for a mother-daughter pair holding bright orange buckets and it'll probably be us!  We'll save a brownie or two for you, too :)

Monica

Hey Monica! 

I am sure we will have a great time at Penn Dixie, regardless of the finds (though from the hype, I am hoping for a couple of partials at least ;) ). 

We will certainly keep an eye out for you and try to introduce ourselves. My husband and I are both named Philip (actually he is named Phillip, but this is only an orthographically important distinction ;) ) and are both just under thirty and right around 6' (he's 6' and I'm 6'3"), with dark hair and entirely too much enthusiasm for fossils. I will almost certainly have a "train" themed t-shirt on (though perhaps under many other layers as these southern bones chill easily). I'm pretty sure we will stand out if the fossil collection scene there is anything like it is here. ;)

Looking forward to meeting you and all the others. I will try to remember to bring a sack of shark teeth from Aurora, NC to give out to any TFF and TFF family interested (I'm thinking of Viola here, although if I were finding trilobites at her age, I wouldn't care a fig for shark's teeth!). 

All the best, 

Philip

PS The offer for sharks teeth applies to any TFF members who plan to be at Penn Dixie that weekend (we plan on being there Sat-Mon), just try to remind me about a week beforehand if you are interested so that I remember to pack them before starting the trip! 

• I found this Informative 1

8 hours ago, NCPhilip said:

Hey Monica! 

I am sure we will have a great time at Penn Dixie, regardless of the finds (though from the hype, I am hoping for a couple of partials at least ;) ). 

We will certainly keep an eye out for you and try to introduce ourselves. My husband and I are both named Philip (actually he is named Phillip, but this is only an orthographically important distinction ;) ) and are both just under thirty and right around 6' (he's 6' and I'm 6'3"), with dark hair and entirely too much enthusiasm for fossils. I will almost certainly have a "train" themed t-shirt on (though perhaps under many other layers as these southern bones chill easily). I'm pretty sure we will stand out if the fossil collection scene there is anything like it is here. ;)

Looking forward to meeting you and all the others. I will try to remember to bring a sack of shark teeth from Aurora, NC to give out to any TFF and TFF family interested (I'm thinking of Viola here, although if I were finding trilobites at her age, I wouldn't care a fig for shark's teeth!). 

All the best, 

Philip

PS The offer for sharks teeth applies to any TFF members who plan to be at Penn Dixie that weekend (we plan on being there Sat-Mon), just try to remind me about a week beforehand if you are interested so that I remember to pack them before starting the trip! 

Hi again, Philip!

You'll DEFINITELY come away from the DWTE weekend with trilobites!!!  As others have said, you just park yourself on one of the many piles of rock that have been excavated for the event, and you start splitting them.  Re: tools - Viola and I each use a mini sledge hammer (I think the one we have is 3 lbs and is made by Estwing) and a chisel (we have the "FatMax Cold Chisel") to split the rocks.  You may also want to bring something to sit on - like what gardeners use to protect their knees while gardening - since sitting on rocks for hours on end can be uncomfortable (although I always seem to forget to bring something myself, and I just endure the discomfort).  Also bring water - if it's hot, it can be unbearable if you're not well-hydrated since there is no escape from the sun/heat where the piles of rock are located.

Viola and I are looking forward to meeting you and Phillip in a few months, and we're looking forward to finding more fun fossils!!!

Monica

PS - Viola does like shark teeth, by the way - she likes pretty much any fossil!  Her collection is an interesting array of stuff that we plan on organizing this-coming summer (I worked on organizing my collection last summer, so now it's her turn :)).

• I found this Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all!

Sad, yet not unexpected, news.  Penn Dixie's Dig with the Experts event has been postponed to August 29-30.  And now I won't be able to attend because if the coronavirus situation clears up by then, my husband and I will be headed to California for Star Wars Celebration that weekend.  Oh well.  Hopefully we'll be able to make it to this fantastic fossil event next year!

Monica

On 3/22/2020 at 10:59 AM, Monica said:

Hi all!

Sad, yet not unexpected, news.  Penn Dixie's Dig with the Experts event has been postponed to August 29-30.  And now I won't be able to attend because if the coronavirus situation clears up by then, my husband and I will be headed to California for Star Wars Celebration that weekend.  Oh well.  Hopefully we'll be able to make it to this fantastic fossil event next year!

Monica

See if you can swing a side trip to shark tooth hill in California!