Permian Update

dinodigger

Hi everyone, just posting an update from the field here in north texas. I made a huge discovery yesterday, a mass grave of Trimerorachis skeletons. Pretty exciting. We've uncovered more than two dozen skulls in perfect condition, though post cranial material is oddly missing. This might be due to the "triceratops effect..." The skulls may be so massive that the post cranial material washes away leaving the skulls only.

Trimerorachis is a funny guy, think of him as a four foot salamander with a mean set of teeth. Very sharp fangs line a long wide jaw. The death scene is quite amazing. So what happened? Why did hundreds of these amphimbians die off sudenly. One explanation: During the dry season they bury themselves. If the rainy season does not return, these hibernating amphibians don't wake up. And what we're seeing is the biological consequences of a long dry season.

We are finding remains of the freshwater shark, Xenacanth as well. Mostly the poinson head spines. No articulated material. These guys were definitely being fed on by the Trimerorachis. Just above this zone is a wonderful swamp filled with ferns and leaves of numerous trees, as well as tons of coal. Most likely we're seeing evidence of a forest fire.

So unfortunately my original mission was to check on the two dimetrodons at our main site, but this new site is the main objective. Tomorrow we'll hopefully jacket a one ton block. Fun. Helicopters away!!!

More tomorrow

you know...it's darned difficult to think of an adequate response to a post like that. i mean, i could count all the dinosaurs i've discovered on one hand - and the hand wouldn't have to have any fingers.

wow. sounds amazing! i'd love to see some pics!

-emily

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~ E. B. White

Chris, were the 2 dozen skulls found together? If so, the absence of post cranial material would seem to contradict the "hibernating" theory. Moving water, strong enough to uncover the "group", would have been strong enough to move skulls and other bones. Any "group" still associated in their burrows would likely have some skeletal elements nearby. It's an interesting dilemna. Great discovery!

Edited by JohnJ

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Totally exciting!

Need any extra hands to help dig? I'm willing to leave my family! ;)

Please post some photos of your site and discoveries; can't wait for some visuals!

MiTiM

Want to trade and be me for a day :D

Actually, he and I are in negotiations to trade you for one of the skulls...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Dang, Auspex...what else you going to throw in to make it fair?

:P

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ